Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

AFAIK security forces only exist around the space stations, unless you go to the conflict zones and distress signals - jumping is still broken for multiplayer play at the mo, playing solo i see now you exit supercruise about 8km from the station - in beta 1 it used to be between 17 and 21 km and this was plenty out of range of any police scanners so go into silent running and enter the station, no need to be 100s of kms away

mikeck

Holy crap...they are having issues with this beta. We are now at 2.03 and still have galaxy map issues, missing star boxes and frozen games left and right. I suppose this stuff happens on huge server games but it's frustrating to be sure
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Based on what I'm hearing, I'm surprised they even went with the release...sounds like it needed to be held back for a few more days at least.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 02, 2014, 02:10:16 PM
Based on what I'm hearing, I'm surprised they even went with the release...sounds like it needed to be held back for a few more days at least.

Yes..100% correct.  I'm generally pretty forgiving if bugs and such upon release but this is horrible. Now, it is a Beta do things are bound to be off but many can't even log on to play
test
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I didn't take heed of UCG's advice to backup my ini file - and now all my controls need remapping  ::)

Actually - it wasn't ignoring the advice, it was just forgetting.

Right - who are these people...they are waiting on my Friends list

Rift Gambit
Backer #- 18750
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

I'm almost inclined to believe a conspiracy theory I read today......

Part of beta 2s fix list was syncing the mtu traffic on the netcode and it appears they set this at 1500 which is too high for most people and the connection packets weren't getting through.... someone sussed this out and posted about manually amending your router to up the mtu allowance and they Presto people were getting in

No explanation, no sorry, just the next patch lowers the mtu tolerance again..... the theorist suggested they were trying to see how big the data packages they could send could get to before all Hell broke loose and then just dialled it down  when they captured the average

JudgeDredd

It seems there wasn't a problem with the control mapping...they were all mapped as per my last game prior to updating.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

There's still something screwy though...some of the controls that were "shareable" don't seem to be - or at least aren't working as they used to. I had one of my POV hats which I could use to move to the left, right and centre UI - and they don't now.

So I think perhaps some aspects (like the inverts) of the controller have actually changed - though all my buttons/controls were as they were before the upgrade, they aren't all working as they used to...so maybe a toggle somewhere in the controls that I long forgot about.

I'm too tired to try and find the problem just now.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

trading has taken a back seat for this beta, its mechanics and affects were obviously tested and passed in beta 1

2 is all about missions, theres hundreds of em, steal this, smuggle that, courier these, kill them - and galnet news is live in the stations when you dock including the most recent traffic, whos in, whos out, most wanted, and much more its very immerssive

people jumping out of systems now leave a wave that you can scan and then you can follow them - most handy for pirates and bounty hunters

as for ships, the Lakon 9 that was about 2 mil last beta has been seen for sale at 29 million

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 02, 2014, 05:59:24 PM
trading has taken a back seat for this beta, its mechanics and affects were obviously tested and passed in beta 1

2 is all about missions, theres hundreds of em, steal this, smuggle that, courier these, kill them - and galnet news is live in the stations when you dock including the most recent traffic, whos in, whos out, most wanted, and much more its very immerssive

people jumping out of systems now leave a wave that you can scan and then you can follow them - most handy for pirates and bounty hunters

as for ships, the Lakon 9 that was about 2 mil last beta has been seen for sale at 29 million
It's actually rather refreshing to see a development team take a seemingly very structured approach to testing. Very professional.  O0
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 02, 2014, 05:25:37 PM

I'm almost inclined to believe a conspiracy theory I read today......

Part of beta 2s fix list was syncing the mtu traffic on the netcode and it appears they set this at 1500 which is too high for most people and the connection packets weren't getting through.... someone sussed this out and posted about manually amending your router to up the mtu allowance and they Presto people were getting in

No explanation, no sorry, just the next patch lowers the mtu tolerance again..... the theorist suggested they were trying to see how big the data packages they could send could get to before all Hell broke loose and then just dialled it down  when they captured the average

I guess I really don't have a problem with this if true. It is a beta and I guess they would want to see "how fast the car goes". If it was done intentionally, I'm actually less concerned than my original thought of negligence (not in the actual legal sense)

undercovergeek

agree totally

but man it didnt half upset people if thats what they did!  ^-^

Jarhead0331

Some of my keys and settings aren't working. I'm going to hold off on playing this thing until its patched a couple times and I receive the all clear.  I'm disappointed that there is no compensation for the total wipe.  I thought we might at least get some extra credits.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2014, 08:24:13 AM
Some of my keys and settings aren't working. I'm going to hold off on playing this thing until its patched a couple times and I receive the all clear.  I'm disappointed that there is no compensation for the total wipe.  I thought we might at least get some extra credits.
I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from that...I left it last night and I'll wait a bit. I'm currently trying out the Mig-21bis  ;D
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

2.04 incoming tonight, no details yet

a lot of people have suggested clearing your save, it seems to cache some corrupted muck somewhere

havent seen anyone mention loss of controls

have you remapped it all again?