Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Latest newsletter stated it and also the official forum is blowing up...

Jarhead0331

Just connecting to the internet? I don't see why that still gets people all pissed off. So what? It connects to the server "from time to time". All I care about is having the option to play against NPCs only, without having some 15 year old asshole with too much time on his hand attacking me at every port of call. I don't see this as a big deal at all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2014, 08:53:16 PM
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58789

"Galaxy, story, missions, have to match, and it does mean the single player has to connect to the server from time to time, but this has the added advantage that everyone can participate in the activities that can happen in the galaxy. A fully offline experience would be unacceptably limited and static compared to the dynamic, ever unfolding experience we are delivering."

So they're gonna make you log in on occasion?  Sounds more like an excuse to have some form of DRM on it. 

I'm mostly looking forward to multi-player.  But I dunno why they wouldn't just allow people doing single-player to just log in and update the stuff when they feel like it, rather than forcing them to.

Grim.Reaper

I don't care about the Internet connection either...but I think it also implies the universe will evolve based on everyone accessing it versus a completely self contained environment.  Regardless of the impact seems odd they would pull this feature close to release especially since a selling point for many who joined early.

Nefaro

I'm guessing it's:

A)  A form of DRM.

B)   Forcing regularly updated in-game advertising for their DLC on you.

C) A way to allow single-players to still discover systems and get credit for it across the 'living' universe, so everyone's star systems are the same.

D)  All Of The Above.

Probably (D).

mikeck

It's not a conspiracy. The game connects to the internet so it can update markets, update new wars or "goings on". For example, if the designers decide it's time for a civil war in a certain sector,
They start one. When you play solo, your game connects so you can get the civil war on your comp too.

The economy is designed for thousands of people to interact with it...it needs to update to the main economy to adjust supply and prices. That's it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2014, 08:59:05 PM
I don't care about the Internet connection either...but I think it also implies the universe will evolve based on everyone accessing it versus a completely self contained environment.  Regardless of the impact seems odd they would pull this feature close to release especially since a selling point for many who joined early.

It's always been this way. When you select "solo", your computer downloads the "current "
Universe and the economy. It continually updates it. Solo doesn't mean isolation...it means no NPCs I'm your universe. That is no change

From the newsletter:
"Going forwards, being online lets us constantly both curate and evolve the galaxy, with stories unfolding according to the actions of commanders. Exploration is also a key factor, too, and it is important that what a single player explores matches what other players explore whether single or multiplayer – a complex, coherent world – something we have achieved. Galaxy, story, missions, have to match, and it does mean the single player has to connect to the server from time to time, but this has the added advantage that everyone can participate in the activities that can happen in the galaxy.  A fully offline experience would be "

So basically, you play solo mode with no NPCs but your game will "touch base" every once in a while to update discoveries, wars and economics. That way, things you do in your game can effect the broader game...only you don't have to dodge 15 year old kids ambushing you. Sounds great to me and is consistent with what i have understood the direction to be
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on November 14, 2014, 11:17:42 PM

So basically, you play solo mode with no NPCs but your game will "touch base" every once in a while to update discoveries, wars and economics. That way, things you do in your game can effect the broader game...only you don't have to dodge 15 year old kids ambushing you. Sounds great to me and is consistent with what i have understood the direction to be

So.. it was (C), at the least.  ;)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on November 14, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2014, 08:59:05 PM

It's always been this way. When you select "solo", your computer downloads the "current "
Universe and the economy. It continually updates it. Solo doesn't mean isolation...it means no NPCs I'm your universe. That is no change

I do believe the game was originally promoted to support (3) different modes and up until this announcement people thought they were included when they purchased....

1)  Multiplayer, connected, everyone shares the updates to the universe
2)  Solo, but connected so you could receive universe updates
3)  Offline solo, no connection ever needed and your universe was not updated to represent global universe updates

As far as how big of a deal this is to people, I guess that is up to each individual to decide.  Again, just thought it was interesting that the elimination of one mode would happen so close to release, especially a mode that a number of people bought the game assuming would be included from the start based on the original kick starter promises and what was listed as included during pre ordering.  The developer hasn't commented yet so maybe just a big misunderstanding.

Here is also solo game information that is still listed in the FAQ posted on the forum.

How will single player work? Will I need to connect to a server to play?

The galaxy for Elite: Dangerous is a shared universe maintained by a central server. All of the meta data for the galaxy is shared between players. This includes the galaxy itself as well as transient information like economies. The aim here is that a player's actions will influence the development of the galaxy, without necessarily having to play multiplayer.

The other important aspect for us is that we can seed the galaxy with events, often these events will be triggered by player actions. With a living breathing galaxy players can discover new and interesting things long after they have started playing.

Update! The above is the intended single player experience. However it will be possible to have a single player game without connecting to the galaxy server. You won't get the features of the evolving galaxy (although we will investigate minimising those differences) and you probably won't be able to sync between server and non-server (again we'll investigate).

undercovergeek

Grim is right, on release there was supposed to be a single player offline option, looking at the carnage over there at the mo it was going to be a quite popular option

JudgeDredd

Whilst I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it, there is always the concern that something "breaks" and you can't connect - does that mean the game won't work? Will the universe be a "nothing"...stale, non evolving?

If you can still play and the universe on your PC "takes over" and models the dynamics, then I'm not too fussed...but if the connection required does break the game and prevent it from being played "as I originally expected I would be able to", then I've got concerns.

More so than any other games I have because I actually really enjoy this and can see me playing it for a fair few years. I don't need it to require an internet to be alive - I hope.  :-\
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2014, 05:20:06 AM
Whilst I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it, there is always the concern that something "breaks" and you can't connect - does that mean the game won't work? Will the universe be a "nothing"...stale, non evolving?

If you can still play and the universe on your PC "takes over" and models the dynamics, then I'm not too fussed...but if the connection required does break the game and prevent it from being played "as I originally expected I would be able to", then I've got concerns.

More so than any other games I have because I actually really enjoy this and can see me playing it for a fair few years. I don't need it to require an internet to be alive - I hope.  :-\

I think that is the big question since the announcement is vague....seemed like it kind if implied you would "time to time" need to connect, but no idea how often and what happens when you don't.  Personally, I just wanted a self-contained solo mode where my actions only impacted the universe versus receiving the updates based on the other people's actions or what the developers decide to do later.  Not sure it is a game breaker for me, but just something I would have preferred.

undercovergeek

I think the big problem is they knew a long time ago but up until yesterday, don't know if it's there today, they were still advertising a full off line mode.... it's not an issue for me but I see the reasons for the anger

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 15, 2014, 07:31:05 AM
I think the big problem is they knew a long time ago but up until yesterday, don't know if it's there today, they were still advertising a full off line mode.... it's not an issue for me but I see the reasons for the anger

I think that is the biggest reason for the anger....if it was never advertised with an offline mode and stated many times in advertisements, articles, and forums, people likely wouldn't have cared much since they could have voted by either buying or not buying the game based on that information.  Instead, it was always stated to be included and I am sure some people bought the game based on the offline feature being available.  I'll have to admit when I spent my $150 on the game, it was "one" of the things that pushed me over the top of making the purchase.  But to pull it so late before release and for the developers not to have a formal response prepared (besides what is in the newsletter) does leave people a bit cold after they in good faith invested in the game, especially those that paid a lot of money for betas and based their buying decision on it having a offline solo mode.  It also will make people think twice believing the developers on other things they may say is coming for the future in updates or expansion packs  Like you, I completely understand people's anger and disappointment.

We'll see how it all plays out...I certainly hope they are still successful so they game can continue to evolve and grow.