Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I see what you guys are saying and yes I agree they did promise in off-line mode. I also am concerned about what happens when the Internet goes down and I can't play. But in this day and age with digital downloading services and steam it's just hard to find new good games that don't require some sort of Internet connection or updating from time to time. I mean yeah I can play steam in off-line mode it works,but how long is that going to last it seems more more games want Internet connections... that's just the way it's going in the future. several years ago we were complaining because you don't really "own" games that you digitally downloaded... you are  just buying a license. this will be the next complaint that eventually will just have to except.

I've always just played the regular solo mode where the galaxy updates like it always has. it's never been a problem I've never not been able to connect even in beta. it's been a little weird sometimes but I'm always connected.

Also even in the solo mode you're not constantly connected it merely updates on the Internet on occasion presumably if it can't connect you could still play it just can't update I haven't read anything that says when it tries to connect to the Internet to update the economy that the game is unplayable until I can do so.

All I know is I've put about 50 to 60 hours in the game and besides little glitches and a crash you were there I haven't had any problems related to Internet connection. I only play solo play so it really only connects as soon as I boot up and start the game that's it.

Any rate the game beats the alternative which, at this point, is nothing except a bunch of PR
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

In the end the guys just keep this in mind:?to date this game company has kept all of its promises concerning what you would be able to do in this game. It has delivered, it had fixed it's problems and so far seems to have upheld it's end of the bargain. I see no reason to fear any kind of nefarious activity or shenanigans on their part. O0
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on November 15, 2014, 11:39:19 AM
In the end the guys just keep this in mind:?to date this game company has kept all of its promises concerning what you would be able to do in this game. It has delivered, it had fixed it's problems and so far seems to have upheld it's end of the bargain. I see no reason to fear any kind of nefarious activity or shenanigans on their part. O0

Except their promise of having an offline solo mode in the game, so not quite all promises:)

Like I said, we'll have to see how this all ends up and can't really judge before then.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 15, 2014, 11:48:35 AM

Except their promise of having an offline solo mode in the game, so not quite all promises:)

Like I said, we'll have to see how this all ends up and can't really judge before then.

Grim, respectfully (and I mean that) I completely disagree with you. The game is already, in a word, exceptional. That means that it has truly captured something extraordinary. It has already broken several records in my book and by all indications, it will only continue to grow and excel. It succeeds where so many others have failed. For someone to now sit back and say that despite the fact that they have delivered to us the space trading and combat game of our dreams, they still failed to fulfill all of their promises, and then to go even further to say, you just have to wait until its released for you to cast your final judgment is extremely annoying to me and probably extremely insulting to the guys who have made this one of a kind ground breaking game.

This game deserves little to no criticism so I wish people would just chill out. This is totally a non-issue to me and I'm a hardcore single player. I do not play the MP part of the game. People will always find something to complain about or attack developers about. I wish people could give credit where it is due and just cut these guys the little slack, which they so richly deserve.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I agree with every single thing you said there JH - but I am still a bit worried about the state of single player. Like I said - I don't mind the online connection...so long as when that online is "broke", I can still play.

If that contingency is in there, then I'm happy.

The game is superb...but it could do without being hobbled.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2014, 12:28:58 PM

Grim, respectfully (and I mean that) I completely disagree with you. The game is already, in a word, exceptional. That means that it has truly captured something extraordinary. It has already broken several records in my book and by all indications, it will only continue to grow and excel. It succeeds where so many others have failed. For someone to now sit back and say that despite the fact that they have delivered to us the space trading and combat game of our dreams, they still failed to fulfill all of their promises, and then to go even further to say, you just have to wait until its released for you to cast your final judgment is extremely annoying to me and probably extremely insulting to the guys who have made this one of a kind ground breaking game.

This game deserves little to no criticism so I wish people would just chill out. This is totally a non-issue to me and I'm a hardcore single player. I do not play the MP part of the game. People will always find something to complain about or attack developers about. I wish people could give credit where it is due and just cut these guys the little slack, which they so richly deserve.

Agree with all this, its been my only game since July, and like i said last week, ive had my £50 worth already, and you could release it tomorrow as feature complete for me

i dont know whether its bad luck, odd systems, weird places in the world but apaprt from the occassional network issue ive had none, literally none of the bugs listed in the bug list when new releases come out

As to chilling out, there are 200, 000 backers at the minute, and probably 200 people tearing their hair out in the 'no offline mode' thread - its impossibe to keep up with the growth of the thread that at 13:00 this afternoon was 108 pages after only 12 hours - but theres presumably 199, 800 people out there getting ready for beta 3.09, gamma and release

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2014, 12:28:58 PM

Jh, my comment about waiting to see how it all turns out to judge was only meant to focus on the solo portion of the game, not the entire feature set.  didn't really think I was attacking any of the developer's implemented work, but more was intrigued about a feature not making the cut that was well advertised as being part of the game.  We all have different thoughts on games and how some issues concern people more than others, so I will leave it at that.  Regardless of their change of plans, hasnt changed my mind about the game at all and still looking forward to the final release.

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2014, 12:36:37 PM
I agree with every single thing you said there JH - but I am still a bit worried about the state of single player. Like I said - I don't mind the online connection...so long as when that online is "broke", I can still play.

I don't believe you will need a continuous connection. When you start a game and select "solo", it "checks in" and updates the universe. I could be wrong but that's my understanding

undercovergeek

its the regularity of that check in that hasnt been confirmed or denied but Michael did say it calls home everytime a trade is made - so thats going to be quite regular

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 15, 2014, 12:36:37 PM

Agreed.

I like the evolving galaxy features and would want to use them.  But after having login issues with so many different titles in the past (most recently ROF again), I think it should be expected to happen.  Quite possibly at release, if it's as popular as I suspect.

Yskonyn

So does this mean you guys arent't really into forming a GH Hunter Killer Squad afterall and are going to hide cowardly in your own pocket of reality only using the data of the big world out there where the real men are fighting over every commodity? :D

I had expected to make Grogheads be infamous and feared amongst space farers!

My name seems to be Commander Backer57744674 or something to that end. Do you guys know where I can change this? Can find it anywhere!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 16, 2014, 04:25:30 AM
So does this mean you guys arent't really into forming a GH Hunter Killer Squad afterall and are going to hide cowardly in your own pocket of reality only using the data of the big world out there where the real men are fighting over every commodity? :D

My name seems to be Commander Backer57744674 or something to that end. Do you guys know where I can change this? Can find it anywhere!

Ha!

I'm still debating spending the extra cash and picking it up by the November 22nd wipe (is that the last one?). 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 16, 2014, 04:25:30 AM

You have to go to the official website and open up a ticket to request a name change. At least that is how you used to have to do it.

This is from earlier In this thread, about 4 months ago....

For folks with the game, just found out something this morning that I am not sure if others were aware...you can request to have your commander name changed within the game through the support system.  The commander name is how everyone else in the game sees you and by default it is something very generic.  This way you can make it more identifiable.

Here is the link, just sign in with your account and go to the commander tab to make the request.

https://support.orerve.net/http/user/loginform
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Thanks JH, that link worked. Instant name change too.  O0
Now I am properly addressed as Commander Yskonyn.  :smitten:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Not sure if anyone ever noticed or even cares since so old and the shiny new toy is much better...but you can actually get a free download of the original 1984 Elite edition from their store....

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-cat/elite1984.html

Maybe for just a trip down memory lane:)