Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2014, 01:25:03 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 17, 2014, 11:04:25 PM
Started it up to begin mapping buttons.

Ugh.  I've done it so much recently that I didn't have much stomach for d!cking with it at the moment.  Have had a nightmare of a time trying to get my CH setup working in the WOFF campaign, thus far with no success.  But I'd like to shake out my Elite noobidity by the weekend.  Onward procrastination!
One of the really cool things about mapping buttons in this is buttons can be "re-used". So for example you can map the POV to look around and then when you are docked, you can map the POV to access the menus.

But I agree...mapping is a gamers nightmare nowadays.  >:D

Thank god DCS eventually allowed the user access to the key config whilst in flight. I'm forever forgetting key bindings.

That's what makes it even worse.  Binding all the stuff in some sensible way is annoying, but at least that's over fairly quickly.  Writing all your newly mapped stuff down and then getting it memorized is a much longer process.  My brain doesn't assimilate such info as quickly as it used to.  :idiot2:

In the case of Elite, I started up the Docking tutorial and didn't see jack shit regarding any pointers.  Looks like I'll be digging around for key commands quite a bit.  :))

Yskonyn

Luckily the Controls in Elite aren't nearly as many as in DCS. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

remember if youre going to press escape in Elite to check the keys, behind the scenes the game is still running, nothing like checking what the 'reverse as quickly as possible' key is whilst approaching a station wall!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Father Ted on November 17, 2014, 05:34:20 PM
The whole concept of buying stuff that doesn't exist yet is crazy.

when was the last time you went on a date?  same end game but this game is cheaper.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

undercovergeek

there is always the possibility that they both suck

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

No puns

No anal

And definitely no anal puns

MikeGER

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 18, 2014, 02:31:47 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on November 17, 2014, 05:34:20 PM
The whole concept of buying stuff that doesn't exist yet is crazy.

when was the last time you went on a date?  same end game but this game is cheaper.

...and then that date says :no more offline mode for you  ;)   LOL

MIGMaster

BBC had a story on Elite today and the uproar over no s/p component:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30097229

JudgeDredd

I really, REALLY don't get it.

So - a superb, ever evolving game is available online and a rather stale and placid game would be had in offline mode.

I don't get why it has to be one or the other

As I said - I'm more concerned with what about when the servers aren't there...even momentarily, of a few hours, or a day or two - or even forever? And even if they are there - EVERYONE'S experience of newly released "online only" games recently has been absolutely diabolical.

I think it's a bit of a cop out and I wouldn't be surprised (hold on...let me put my tin foil hat on) if it was to do with DRM.

Just saying. Why not explain the need to go online but not "break the game" if no offline is available?  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

There's been some admittedly terse replies from the devs explaining why they can't do it....... the 500 page threadnought rumbles on from personal attacks to self loathing.... it's a horrible thing

I know I'm damn glad I'm not part of the team meeting the great unwashed on Saturday.... to some extent after some posts in the thread of doom there would be a genuine fear for safety.... I'll be watching the twitch feed though

sandman2575

I could understand the furor if Frontier had suddenly decided to eliminate single player altogether (in which case I'd definitely be seeking a refund), but this 'crisis' seems way overblown to me.  Yeah, I'd prefer that Elite not have to be 'tethered to the beast' in order to play it, but this is clearly the way the wind is blowing in game development now.  I don't like having to login to play Rise of Flight or Battle of Stalingrad, but I can live with it.

I think much of the overreaction has to do with the fact that Elite has been such a remarkable feel-good story of independent game developer working in harmony with supportive gaming community to build a truly visionary game that really seems to be living up to its incredibly ambitious premise. Maybe the honeymoon was bound to end at some point, but the marriage seems strong enough to survive this spat. ... one hopes...

JudgeDredd

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 18, 2014, 01:51:22 PM
I could understand the furor if Frontier had suddenly decided to eliminate single player altogether (in which case I'd definitely be seeking a refund), but this 'crisis' seems way overblown to me.  Yeah, I'd prefer that Elite not have to be 'tethered to the beast' in order to play it, but this is clearly the way the wind is blowing in game development now.  I don't like having to login to play Rise of Flight or Battle of Stalingrad, but I can live with it.

I think much of the overreaction has to do with the fact that Elite has been such a remarkable feel-good story of independent game developer working in harmony with supportive gaming community to build a truly visionary game that really seems to be living up to its incredibly ambitious premise. Maybe the honeymoon was bound to end at some point, but the marriage seems strong enough to survive this spat. ... one hopes...
Well, it's likely because online connections required for gaming are a crap idea. More than that, they seldom start off well AT ALL.

Also - I don't know when you joined the BETA...but don't forget a lot of people bought into this very early and paid a not so inconsiderable amount of money. To then potentially have the game hobbled is going to be a kick in the arse.

However, I do again add the caveat that as long as the game isn't broke if online "isn't there", I don't give a hoot.
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

I am definitely a latecomer to the Elite crowd, so I'm by no means claiming any special perspective on what's happening here. And I do understand/sympathize with the passions this game has aroused, especially among the kickstarter supporters 'who were fans before it was cool'. Elite really feels like "an Event" game in a way I can't easily think of another example of, besides its near-cousin Star Citizen.

It just seems to me that the anger is an overreaction because it was starting to look like Elite was going to be "perfect". It just kept exceeding everyone's expectations, in contrast to nearly every other big-ticket, overhyped, AAA title out there. So I think this letdown about 'no offline mode' seems to some like a crushing disappointment because it's the first real bump in the road of Elite's amazing progress.  I think fans are making a mountain out of a molehill here, if only because the journey toward release has been so miraculously smooth to date.