Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

A real blow this news. I thought this was the better game to SC due to a single player experience..without getting greifed or dealing with the usual idiots you get on multiplayer games..at leats I never went for the beta anyway. This has warned me off buying anything again in beta development.

The original Elite was able to work well and be great without being online..not sure why it has suddenly become impossible to do many years later.

This always online thing is really an anti piracy measure I reckon..plus your game is dependent on the developers being in business for you to be able to play the game in the future.

Well Rogue System it will be for my future space game.

sandman2575

Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 18, 2014, 03:03:26 PM
A real blow this news. I thought this was the better game to SC due to a single player experience..without getting greifed or dealing with the usual idiots you get on multiplayer games.

But Single Player is not being eliminated.  You can still play SP, against AI bots, you will just have to be online to do it.

...unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something here   ???  (wouldn't be the first time)...

JudgeDredd

There's definitely some over reaction.

I'm not suggesting people who bought in early have any reason to be any more pissed off or vocal about the issue. In fact you'd think they'd know that things might change. But you could imagine paying "a few hundred" pounds for a game might make you very wary about a decision which could mean, at some time...anytime, your game could become unplayable for a period of time or even a long period of time or even forever.

This is probably likely amplified by the fact that you've been having such a glorious offline experience

But - again - if it breaks the game. If it doesn't then what's the worry. I don't really care about the connection to get the info...but I don't want my game to be broken if the internet isn't there or the servers are overloaded or they are down...
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

undercovergeek

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 18, 2014, 03:13:29 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 18, 2014, 03:03:26 PM
A real blow this news. I thought this was the better game to SC due to a single player experience..without getting greifed or dealing with the usual idiots you get on multiplayer games.

But Single Player is not being eliminated.  You can still play SP, against AI bots, you will just have to be online to do it.

...unless I'm seriously misunderstanding something here   ???  (wouldn't be the first time)...

youre right, TWG is wrong - all thats gone is single player offline - a closed game with no online presence at all, single player online still very much available - interactive universe, missions, story just no baffoons on affecting you, although i admit to liking open online

Bletchley_Geek

David Braben himself has come forward to address the questions from backers, beta testers and fans at large:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60284

Still some terseness in about the off line mode, but I really appreciated his comments regarding the viability of Solo Online over a tethered mobile connection.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on November 18, 2014, 05:56:18 PM
David Braben himself has come forward to address the questions from backers, beta testers and fans at large:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60284

Still some terseness in about the off line mode, but I really appreciated his comments regarding the viability of Solo Online over a tethered mobile connection.

Didn't they always have the "solo online" version planned, in addition to the offline one?

undercovergeek

always solo online, and then bowed to pressure for solo offline so it never was a kickstarter pledge

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Nefaro on November 18, 2014, 06:12:30 PM
Didn't they always have the "solo online" version planned, in addition to the offline one?

Yes, they did. My remark was about my appreciation of they testing that the online modes over ad-hoc mobile Internet connections was viable.

TacticalWargames

Not sure I got it wrong as such. I read offline mode was ditched and thats what I would have bought it for. If the single player online experience was going to be the same as multiplayer online then thats no issue but that apparently isn't going to be the case, your going to experience a much emptier environment, depending on how empty depends on whether I will buy it. GOing to wait for reviews.

I haven't read anything on any other forum so no idea what sort of flame war is going on, however gamers want different things at times and we should all respect their likes and dislikes even if they aren't the same as ours.

Not going to lose sleep over it.

mikeck

I play solo online now and haven't found the universe to be empty at all. I mean, space is big and lonely and the game reflects that...but I get interdicted, see lots of ships by stations, bounty hunt in mining areas, etc. Certainly not empty except for the missing 16 year olds waiting to blow me up as I dock
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

TacticalWargames

Thanks for the info..that sounds promising.

Good it's still on my to buy list then.

Thanks!

Quote from: mikeck on November 18, 2014, 09:47:13 PM
I play solo online now and haven't found the universe to be empty at all. I mean, space is big and lonely and the game reflects that...but I get interdicted, see lots of ships by stations, bounty hunt in mining areas, etc. Certainly not empty except for the missing 16 year olds waiting to blow me up as I dock

JudgeDredd

I haven't read the 500+ page thread (obviously). Those threads are often "entertaining" in a kind of car crash way, but get tiring really quickly.

So - has anyone (including Braben) from the Elite crew actually confirmed that if there's no internet or no servers that you will still be able to play the game?

That is my concern but with claim and counter claim as well as the vitriol, I don't know the answer.
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

If you read the link Bletchley Geek posted, it will answer all of your questions.

But short version- you have to connect to the internet to play the game.  Period.

I didn't read the fine print before I bought into the game, so at least for me, this latest controversy is a non-issue.  The game is just like Rise of Flight.  You have to log into the server to play the game.  If the server goes TU then you can't play the game.

Ok, so sure an totally offline mode would have been convenient.  Apparently they simply couldn't code the game to have that mode and still be true to their vision of the game. 

Look, nobody's arm got twisted to buy this game before release.  Early access and beta are what they are.  If you don't know the risks of buying into kickstarter or early access then you've been living under a rock and not paying attention.  I don't care what was "promised"; until a game is actually on the shelf, finalized and released, then everything is subject to change.  If you put in hundreds of dollars for this game when it was still under development, then tough shit if you're upset now.  Be a little smarter with your money next time. 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

I'm just reading Braben's answers now but this is what struck me

One thing we have looked at carefully is our requirements of the network connection. For the single player game they are pretty light
For me - I couldn't give a rats arse if the connection is light or heavy. I have a superb connection (I totally see people's pov if they do not have a great connection and their worries)...but my own concern (light or heavy need for online) is what happens when it's not there at all? The "light" and "heavy" is not my concern. What happens when the "light" requirement isn't there?

Still reading - so if the answer is there, I'll get to it and apologies for asking  ;)
Alba gu' brath