Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

When the light requirement isn't there, you can't play the game JD.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I swear, some of this I just don't get.  It's a $50 game FFS.  It costs me $30 to take the family for McDonald's after my son's football game on Saturdays. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

::)

So if my local connection goes down or the servers are overloaded or the connection breaks I can't play the game I paid £100 for?  :tickedoff:

Ah well...wtf. The worlds in shit state. Plenty of other things to get angst about.

I'm out. I'll wait for the shit storm when the game's released and the servers melt.

*edited to say*
I should've finished on the more positive "If they don't melt, I'll be a happy bunny"  ;)
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I read his statements. Very fair responses. Of course - the proof will be in the tasting.

I loved this one
QuoteQuestioner
I pirated the original Elite, do you forgive me?
QuoteQuote Originally Posted by David Braben View Post

I think more pirated it than bought it!

But yes, I forgive you (but please buy Elite: Dangerous! ;-) )
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
The "light" and "heavy" is not my concern. What happens when the "light" requirement isn't there?

JD, you light a few tea-candles (power is out too) and brake out your  TAL or the RAF Eagle Day board game 8)

and please dont forget to record the seccsions with your phones cam and some draft notices on paper
for your outstanding AARs O0 to later publish on Grogheads, when the 5 days Blizzard catasrophe in England is over.

That's the reason i have TAL as a board game ... i could play it even in the Apocaypse, Ragnarök, or when an X39 solare flares EMP has killed all the world gadgets month ago, and i had relocated with the few local survivor to this stronghold ...ten klicks away as the crow flies :)    

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MikeGER on November 19, 2014, 03:01:04 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
The "light" and "heavy" is not my concern. What happens when the "light" requirement isn't there?

JD, you light a few tea-candles (power is out too) and brake out your  TAL or the RAF Eagle Day board game 8)

and please dont forget to record the seccsions with your phones cam and some draft notices on paper
for your outstanding AARs O0 to later publish on Grogheads, when the 5 days Blizzard catasrophe in England is over.

That's the reason i have TAL as a board game ... i could play it even in the Apocaypse, Ragnarök, or when an X39 solare flares EMP has killed all the world gadgets month ago, and i had relocated with the few local survivor to this stronghold ...ten klicks away as the crow flies :)    
Very true.

And thx for the comment on the AAR's. I've struggled with World at War (I WILL get it done!) and I'm struggling a bit with the rules in Warfighter. I'm reading them again...and besides, Panzerseast did a great job with his.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on November 19, 2014, 01:52:00 AM

I didn't read the fine print before I bought into the game, so at least for me, this latest controversy is a non-issue.  The game is just like Rise of Flight.  You have to log into the server to play the game.  If the server goes TU then you can't play the game.

Let's hope it's not just like Rise Of Flight's servers.  Those damn things go down about twice a week... for many hours.   ::)

RyanE

"I didn't read the fine print before I bought into the game, so at least for me, this latest controversy is a non-issue.  The game is just like Rise of Flight.  You have to log into the server to play the game.  If the server goes TU then you can't play the game."

I thought you could play RoF offline.  Its just that your campaign doesn't update.  I thought that changed years ago.  Most of the games that I have played that had an online requirement for SP eventually changed to having an offline mode once installed and activated...including Steam.

edit...just confirmed, RoF will run offline.  Its been like that at least the three years I have been using it.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: TacticalWargames on November 18, 2014, 03:03:26 PM

The original Elite was able to work well and be great without being online..not sure why it has suddenly become impossible to do many years later.

theres a quantum order of magnitude difference between this and what I played on my Apple 2e.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

Quote from: RyanE on November 19, 2014, 08:13:46 AM
"I didn't read the fine print before I bought into the game, so at least for me, this latest controversy is a non-issue.  The game is just like Rise of Flight.  You have to log into the server to play the game.  If the server goes TU then you can't play the game."

I thought you could play RoF offline.  Its just that your campaign doesn't update.  I thought that changed years ago.  Most of the games that I have played that had an online requirement for SP eventually changed to having an offline mode once installed and activated...including Steam.

edit...just confirmed, RoF will run offline.  Its been like that at least the three years I have been using it.

Yeah, ROF has an off-line mode. That's usually how I play it. You do need to go on-line to update if there have been any changes to the game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Oi you, get into the birthday thread and say thanks for loving me!

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2014, 12:01:26 PM
We have a birthday thread?  :-\

We do in current affairs for the old fart above!

JudgeDredd

Sorry if this has been posted in here - but a very interesting video of the building of Elite (original)

Alba gu' brath

Toonces