Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

we start with 100 credits, sob - this is going to be a long road, with an unconfirmed wipe on the 16 th  :'(

JudgeDredd

What I was afraid of. This is why requiring a connection is always a bad idea.

First outing, upgraded, was in the menu system, tried to accept Yykson as a friend, get booted out. Try again and I get this...

Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

They are probably on overload with everyone upgrading:)  Their forums are also very slow and spotty right now.

JudgeDredd

I actually can't get on now. Says the game failed to authenticate with the server. Cunningly I can't take a screen shot.

It did create a crash report and it was sent. I wonder if they are being bombarded with messages at the moment.

Bloody people won't learn. If you're going to make your game require a connection, then you need to make sure the servers are there - otherwise you get a bloody mutiny!  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Why is START disabled? Do you have to do the tutorials now?
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 09:05:37 AM
I actually can't get on now. Says the game failed to authenticate with the server. Cunningly I can't take a screen shot.

It did create a crash report and it was sent. I wonder if they are being bombarded with messages at the moment.

Bloody people won't learn. If you're going to make your game require a connection, then you need to make sure the servers are there - otherwise you get a bloody mutiny!  :knuppel2:

Seeing that as well....for now, just chalking it up to early issues with people downloading all at once or possibly just a deployment glitch....

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 09:07:57 AM
Why is START disabled? Do you have to do the tutorials now?

Mine is active now that I got in past the original error....

JudgeDredd

lol - mine is still red...even after being able to connect now!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

There now!

One thing I wish it would do is tell you if a button is bound before re-assigning. Currently, if you select a button to be assigned and it's already assigned, it just changes it and gives you a brief notification at the bottom that they button was bound to something else.

That in itself makes assigning buttons a bit tricky!
Alba gu' brath

gameleaper

Ive skimmed a few posts back, but Im not sure how you guys are playing, are you in beta trials or something? I just looked at the web site its £35 preorfer, will it be on steam? Im new to the info on the game, Im lazy waiting for it to release

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: gameleaper on November 22, 2014, 09:46:37 AM
Ive skimmed a few posts back, but Im not sure how you guys are playing, are you in beta trials or something? I just looked at the web site its £35 preorfer, will it be on steam? Im new to the info on the game, Im lazy waiting for it to release

Yes, it is still in pre-release...full release is December 16th.  It won't be available through steam, it uses its own client/server software.

JudgeDredd

Bloody game is unplayable just now.

Constant server issues. If I'm not getting kicked from the game, I'm unable to access the START button. If I'm getting the start button, I'm getting stuck in hyper jump.

Very poor implementation at the moment. The game was more stable and I was more impressed with it in BETA.  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

gameleaper

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 09:05:37 AM

I suspect this will be happening somewhat regluarly until awhile after official launch. 

Aside from pop overload, they'll also take the servers down quite a bit in the last stretch.  Then, when official release begins, the population overload will smash it again for awhile.

It's essentially an MMO release.  :-\

mikeck

I updated to the gamma and could not connect to the server turned on my firewall try 10 minutes later and was able to get on. not sure if they're related or not but I did see something from the developer that said they were having server maintenance issues because of the volume. But I agree this is the exact reason why you want to be able to play off-line.

These "server volume" issues always pissed me off you don't know that every single person owns this game is going to be on around the same time trying to play? really
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson