Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I probably should've just picked up the regular December release version.  Haven't been all that interested in learning it just yet and I figured this thing would have issues typical of MMO releases when hearing that an internet connection is required for all of it.

Probably not gonna get some deep stretches into it until the end of December or later.   :crazy2:

JudgeDredd

The game, when I have been able to get on, looks amazing. It's still an extremely immersive experience. And that's saying something when I've had it for so long.

But yeah - internet connections are bad ideas and they ALWAYS have problems on release.

PITA

I need to read the manual. I have NO idea what I'm doing in that galaxy map!  :crazy2:
Alba gu' brath

panzerde

I don't know that I'm concerned enough (yet) about the need for the always on connection to make me want a refund, but I am glad I didn't buy into the Alpha/Beta when I was originally planning on doing so. This still looks really amazing and immersive.

I just am not keen on the idea of it basically being an MMO now when true single player was part of the game from the outset. I honestly probably wouldn't have done the early access backer thing if Braben had said right from the outset that there wasn't going to be true single player.  As it is, I seriously doubt I'll even try and play at launch. I might even ask for a refund before launch.

If I wanted an MMO I'd just play EVE. The point is that I don't have the time to keep up with a universe that requires me to play all of the time, and that's what these seems to be shaping into.

That's not to say this won't be a great game, for people that want that experience. I get that's what Braben wanted to make. Just not sure that's at all what I want to play.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JudgeDredd

I didn't read anything about the game when I bought it. I heard JH talking it up here and others. I saw some videos, I came into some money and decided to get it.

I had no idea whether offline would be a mode or not - I assumed it would.

The connection requirement doesn't bother me - but it will if it's dodgy - which it has been today. But I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt as it's the GAMMA release and teething issues. I'm hoping release will be smooth.

As for refunds...no. Never wanted one and I didn't even consider it when I found out it required a connection. The game is absolutely amazing. It's stunning. It's immersive and it's superb fun. I couldn't imagine why I would want a refund.

I did wonder if some people wanting refunds were simply doing so because they could get it for £35...but I guess the company opened themselves up to that kind of request if people paid thinking (being led to believe) that they were getting an offline mode and are now not.

But it never crossed my mind. This is quite simply the best game I think I've ever had - and that was my BETA experience. It's well worth the money I paid for it.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

servers are getting hammered right now, plus a whole host of new players just got dumped in the mix, at least weve got random starting places as opposed to 200k people starting in Eranin like 2 nights ago - im in the middle of butt **** nowhere - some adventuring to be done!!

start button stays red if it cant connect to your local server - somewhere else on the screen itll say 54.178.61.111 (disconnected) - its the disconnected bit thats causing probs

Nefaro

There's a manual?   ???

Is it any good?  I didn't think there was one out since they're still adding stuff.

I had planned on getting into it sometime over the weekend, but if they're talking like another wipe may be coming after all then not so much.  Last I heard, this was the last planned wipe, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did so again with three weeks left to go.

undercovergeek

theres an unofficial 'sidewinder pilots' manual on the forum but theyve confirmed the actual manual will be the last thing they write

JudgeDredd

Yeah I started in the middle of nowhere...LTT 15449 I think. My Eagle is there. I've got no money - so I can't trade. I'm nowhere near Eranin, so I can't go to the FDS.

I have to do missions I guess.

Question...when you take on a "trade" mission, do you have to buy the goods or are they automatically given to you? If you have to buy them, I can't even do that!

I did notice the red START being linked to the disconnected...eventually.  O0
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

are you in 'Bose station'? thats where i started and your planet sign sounds familiar

yeah take the transport missions where they give you the cargo

mikeck

I've got a question for you guys. I was in early backer so I assume I get the bonus ship stored somewhere. The station I started out in the middle of nowhere has me in a sidewinder how do I find out where my other ship is?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2014, 02:18:42 PM
are you in 'Bose station'? thats where i started and your planet sign sounds familiar

Thanks

As for where I am, I'm confused. I was in a system and I looked at my other ships (1x Eagle) and it said it was in LTT 15449...but I've just went to that system and there's only two big stars there!

I think I might have inadvertently lost my Eagle  :P
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2014, 02:30:42 PM
I've got a question for you guys. I was in early backer so I assume I get the bonus ship stored somewhere. The station I started out in the middle of nowhere has me in a sidewinder how do I find out where my other ship is?
I think it's at the place you start. Just go to the Ships(?) on the Station Menu and it will be listed.

I have lost mine somewhere though so maybe I'm not the best person to answer that  :-X
Alba gu' brath

panzerde

JD, I'm convinced by your enthusiasm. You have high standards, and if you are that enthused about the game still, I'm convinced.

I just don't have a lot of patience for running into griefers and 14 year-old "captains" with names like "Kommander P3N1s."  ???
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 02:37:26 PM

Thanks

As for where I am, I'm confused. I was in a system and I looked at my other ships (1x Eagle) and it said it was in LTT 15449...but I've just went to that system and there's only two big stars there!

Yes but HOW do I look at my other ships where do I go to look at them is what I mean?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2014, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2014, 02:37:26 PM

Thanks

Yes but HOW do I look at my other ships where do I go to look at them is what I mean?
I'm afraid I canny help at the moment...I'm still looking for mine.

I have got to LTT 15449 - which is where my Eagle is - but I don't know what station it's at.

If I find it, I'll try and give you some pointers.
Alba gu' brath