Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2014, 04:36:21 PM
weirdly enoough if you die in the 100 cr sidewinder, you respawn with 1000 credits - oops

If that can be easily reproduced then they'll probably take the server down, work up a quick fix, and patch it once they know.  If they don't plan on wiping between now and release, anyway.  Otherwise some people will exploit it to the hilt.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2014, 04:34:29 PM
Can I make a recommendation from someone who's played the game a lot? Click on your eagle that's in storage then go to options underneath it and click to sell it you can get 40,000 credits. Use that 40,000 credits to upgrade your sidewinder with maybe some better weapons and some cargo space and then go make money. Eagles are a bit faster but they're too weak to go around picking fights with better to save your money up for a viper trust me Eagles are fast but they are glass cannons.

I can take that 40,000 credits rearm my side wonder what to gimbaled multi cannons and blow up every eagle I come across

Yeah, I considered that pretty strongly as well.  I just prefer piloting the Eagle, it feels a lot more responsive.

I'm also appreciating its longer jump capacity.  I can't find any place selling better fuel holds for the Sidey, and it's limiting my opportunities to take missions due to its abysmal range with 4 tons loaded. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Nefaro on November 22, 2014, 04:41:26 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2014, 04:36:21 PM
weirdly enoough if you die in the 100 cr sidewinder, you respawn with 1000 credits - oops

If that can be easily reproduced then they'll probably take the server down, work up a quick fix, and patch it once they know.  If they don't plan on wiping between now and release, anyway.  Otherwise some people will exploit it to the hilt.

The devs know about it, and say a fix is in the works. 

It's really no much of a big deal though.  One cargo mission can net easily three times that and can be run in less than 10 minutes. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mikeck

I chose to sell my eagle for 40,000 credits. Has anyone tried to keep the eagle and sell the sidewinder can you do that?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2014, 04:59:51 PM
I chose to sell my eagle for 40,000 credits. Has anyone tried to keep the eagle and sell the sidewinder can you do that?

Sadly, Sidey sells for 0CR.

mikeck

That's okay. trust me, that sidewinder with two multi cannons will tear apart that stock eagle and has more cargo space
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RedArgo

My boys want this for Christmas and I have a few questions about multiplayer.

Is there filtering available on the chat box to get rid of inappropriate language?

Are the "groups" still in?  So I guess they could make a group of just their friends for multiplayer?

Is there voice chat or do you need a third party app like skype or teamspeak?

Thanks.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: RedArgo on November 22, 2014, 07:25:46 PM
My boys want this for Christmas and I have a few questions about multiplayer.

Is there filtering available on the chat box to get rid of inappropriate language?

Are the "groups" still in?  So I guess they could make a group of just their friends for multiplayer?

Is there voice chat or do you need a third party app like skype or teamspeak?

Thanks.

I've yet to actually have a human speak to me via chat box.  I don't even know how to use the chat box, and I always play open.  This is at any stage of the Beta. 

From what I understand, you can create groups with friends, but I haven't tried.  Solo play is also enabled.

There's no integrated voice chat.  Again, I've had zero interaction with a human player that wasn't shooting at me, and that's with not avoiding interaction.

JudgeDredd

I was talking about this manual...but seems it was an "early" one...no idea how relevant it is to the game now

Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Cool stuff.
My little boy has his birthday today and tomorrow we will be going on a holiday for a week.
Enough time to let the servers settle down for a bit.  O0
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

I've been playing this almost solidly the whole weekend! Absolutely superb fun.

How do I explore? I've been going to unexplored systems, but nothing happens.

I think I read in that "beta" manual I had that I need probes or something.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 10:37:56 AM
I've been playing this almost solidly the whole weekend! Absolutely superb fun.

How do I explore? I've been going to unexplored systems, but nothing happens.

I think I read in that "beta" manual I had that I need probes or something.

From the vids I've seen, you need upgraded sensors of some kind.  Plus there have been suggestions of watching for "moving stars" when you're frameshifting through systems to get clues about where extra planets are located that you've not actually detected yet.

The exploration part is something I'm really interested in.  Although it's probably not all that profitable and someone mentioned there's a bug with it's reward system currently.

mikeck

When you work into a system go to your navigation map where it shows all the planets and stations. Occasionally you will see an area that just says unexplored just highlighted and click on it to lock the destination like you would any planet or station and then fly there usually it is some type of planet. When you get there scan it using your loaned scanner you have to set up a key binding to do so.
That will give you info about the planet. Simply by warping into a star you can pick up astronomical info about whether or not there are planets there which can be sold

Personally I'm trying to make my way across the galaxy to sol. I heard that the planets look incredible

JudgeDredd

One thing I would say is this - it's VERY difficult to make any money at the moment. Apart from my basic equipment, I'm short of tools.

I was hoping to make money just doing some of the missions from the bulletin boards, but they seem to be all dried up - all I ever see now is missions I can't do.

I've looked into selling my Eagle...but even then, you get so little for your money. Everything costs so much. Nothing of much use below the 40k credits you get for the Eagle.

And I don't get what you were going on about mikeck with "upgrading" your guns...moving to the gimballed cannons is showing as a downgrade (from F - what you currently have - to G for the guns).

But regardless...I didn't want to fight my way to Elite. I wanted to trade and explore. So far I'm just fumbling around and there are precious few (read none) trade missions now. I've had one.
Thanks for the tip on scanning. I'll have to look at the controls again.

Anyway...here I go again. We'll have to try and meet up somehow - I don't even know if that's possible. I've seen others as being online, but I can't "interact" with the name.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Has your connection been stable?

Well.. yours will probably be better than mine since the servers are closer.