Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 12:53:22 PM
One thing I would say is this - it's VERY difficult to make any money at the moment. Apart from my basic equipment, I'm short of tools.

I was hoping to make money just doing some of the missions from the bulletin boards, but they seem to be all dried up - all I ever see now is missions I can't do.

I've looked into selling my Eagle...but even then, you get so little for your money. Everything costs so much. Nothing of much use below the 40k credits you get for the Eagle.

And I don't get what you were going on about mikeck with "upgrading" your guns...moving to the gimballed cannons is showing as a downgrade (from F - what you currently have - to G for the guns).

But regardless...I didn't want to fight my way to Elite. I wanted to trade and explore. So far I'm just fumbling around and there are precious few (read none) trade missions now. I've had one.
Thanks for the tip on scanning. I'll have to look at the controls again.

Anyway...here I go again. We'll have to try and meet up somehow - I don't even know if that's possible. I've seen others as being online, but I can't "interact" with the name.

Moving to gimbaled multi cannons is NOT a downgrade from your loaned pulse lasers. You don't have the energy stores to use those weak lasers long enough to do much. With multicannons, I don't need power.....I just hold the trigger down. So yes, multi cannons are far better than a stick sidey )or eagle especially due to it's high power use) with loaned pulse lasers

Also, with 40k, I bought Multi cannons (non gimbaled) and about 20k worth of superconductors (or similar....was about 4k each) and made 5k off the sale.
So turned 20k into 25k in a trade run.
If you don't sell the eagle, it's hard to get cash to buy the more expensing trade
Items

If you don't plan on fighting anything, keep the 18k they cost but good luck fighting off that viper that interdicted you. You should find plenty of those "3k to take these there" missions. Are they not listed?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 23, 2014, 01:00:47 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 12:53:22 PM
One thing I would say is this - it's VERY difficult to make any money at the moment. Apart from my basic equipment, I'm short of tools.

I was hoping to make money just doing some of the missions from the bulletin boards, but they seem to be all dried up - all I ever see now is missions I can't do.

I've looked into selling my Eagle...but even then, you get so little for your money. Everything costs so much. Nothing of much use below the 40k credits you get for the Eagle.

And I don't get what you were going on about mikeck with "upgrading" your guns...moving to the gimballed cannons is showing as a downgrade (from F - what you currently have - to G for the guns).

But regardless...I didn't want to fight my way to Elite. I wanted to trade and explore. So far I'm just fumbling around and there are precious few (read none) trade missions now. I've had one.
Thanks for the tip on scanning. I'll have to look at the controls again.

Anyway...here I go again. We'll have to try and meet up somehow - I don't even know if that's possible. I've seen others as being online, but I can't "interact" with the name.

Moving to gimbaled multi cannons is NOT a downgrade from your loaned pulse lasers. You don't have the energy stores to use those weak lasers long enough to do much. With multicannons, I don't need power.....I just hold the trigger down. So yes, multi cannons are far better than a stick sidey )or eagle especially due to it's high power use) with loaned pulse lasers

Also, with 40k, I bought Multi cannons (non gimbaled) and about 20k worth of superconductors (or similar....was about 4k each) and made 5k off the sale.
So turned 20k into 25k in a trade run.
If you don't sell the eagle, it's hard to get cash to buy the more expensing trade
Items

If you don't plan on fighting anything, keep the 18k they cost but good luck fighting off that viper that interdicted you. You should find plenty of those "3k to take these there" missions. Are they not listed?
Nope. I've had 2 missions...now everything just shows as missions I can't do.

As for the cannons...I'm just going by what the interface says. It's a downgrade. Lasers are F and cannons are G is what it says. How that grade is awarded I don't know. Maybe I was looking at the wrong cannons.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on November 23, 2014, 12:57:39 PM
Has your connection been stable?

Well.. yours will probably be better than mine since the servers are closer.
It has been stable today and last night.

I will say it's noticeable it's on a server. There are little "glitches" when flying around and some (what seems to be) "warping" when you see other players.

But I've had a good day on it.
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Quote from: RedArgo on November 22, 2014, 07:25:46 PM
My boys want this for Christmas and I have a few questions about multiplayer.

Is there filtering available on the chat box to get rid of inappropriate language?

Are the "groups" still in?  So I guess they could make a group of just their friends for multiplayer?

Is there voice chat or do you need a third party app like skype or teamspeak?

Thanks.

I actually don't know about the filtering.  I don't think you can chat with someone unless you approve their request to chat.  There isn't a chat box open like, say, Mount and Blade, where there is a constant stream of chatting going on if that's what you mean.

You can definitely make a group of friends for multiplayer.

There is indeed integrated voice chat.  You can set up it to be push-to-talk or just voice activated.  It's very cool...it does that little beepy thing like you hear in astronaut comms with mission control, and it's sort of staticy and fades a bit when you're farther away.  It's very well done.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

mickek - what is the Sensor thing called and which section is it under (to be able to assign a key). I don't see anything for a "sensor"
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Ahem, its f for fixed and g for gimballed JD!

And you need a discovery scanner

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 23, 2014, 02:36:22 PM

This. "F" and "G" are whether the weapon is fixed or gimbaled.

Ok, scanner. Look at the screen on the right side of your ship and go to the "fire group" or "weapons group" or whatever it's called where you assign weapons to fire groups. You will see your scanner there. Either assign it to your #1 shoot button in a different group or to the #2 weapon button
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

lol

Ok - I don't want to start a war here...but I want to tell you what I'm seeing...(unfortunately print screen just comes up blank!)

I'm in game now and I see my Lasers have a RATING of F and a Class of 1. When I go to "Buy/Equip", I check out the first thing on the menu - the Multi Cannon with a rating of F and a Class of 1. There's another multi cannon there with a Rating of G and a Class of 1. Highlighting this, it shows (in the right hand side) a little blue up arrow next to the Rating E - showing it is better.

In fact, there are several parts showing red, blue and orange. Orange is where it's of similar spec, blue is where what you are looking at is better than what you have and red is where it's worse than what you have. The red and blue also show down/up arrows respectively

The weapons on display to me right now have different "ratings". They are F, I, G, E, D and B

So I don't think the rating is Gimballed or Fixed...sorry  :P

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 23, 2014, 02:49:20 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 23, 2014, 02:36:22 PM

This. "F" and "G" are whether the weapon is fixed or gimbaled.

Ok, scanner. Look at the screen on the right side of your ship and go to the "fire group" or "weapons group" or whatever it's called where you assign weapons to fire groups. You will see your scanner there. Either assign it to your #1 shoot button in a different group or to the #2 weapon button
Wrong...sorry  :P

Thanks for the scanner thingy. I was looking in the controls menu.  O0
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2014, 03:02:47 PM
lol

Ok - I don't want to start a war here...but I want to tell you what I'm seeing...(unfortunately print screen just comes up blank!)

I'm in game now and I see my Lasers have a RATING of F and a Class of 1. When I go to "Buy/Equip", I check out the first thing on the menu - the Multi Cannon with a rating of F and a Class of 1. There's another multi cannon there with a Rating of G and a Class of 1. Highlighting this, it shows (in the right hand side) a little blue up arrow next to the Rating E - showing it is better.

In fact, there are several parts showing red, blue and orange. Orange is where it's of similar spec, blue is where what you are looking at is better than what you have and red is where it's worse than what you have. The red and blue also show down/up arrows respectively

The weapons on display to me right now have different "ratings". They are F, I, G, E, D and B

So I don't think the rating is Gimballed or Fixed...sorry  :P

Ok. There are multiple ratings. Ratings for damage, power usage, weight, etc.
So if one is blue is doesn't mean it's better or worse. I will tell you that two multi cannons are better than your two stock loaned lasers for two reasons. They use no energy so they can be fired at a constant rate (no cool down) and they will SHRED. A ship in seconds when the shield is down. Your stock lasers heat up too quickly in order to maintain continuous fire to get the shields down.

So don't just look at one category of the rating. Lasers dish out more DPS sure....but half the time they aren't even firing because they are cooling down. They get good when you get upgraded power and better lasers. Early on with a sidey though, multi cannons are good

JudgeDredd

ok - well I'm not going to bang my head on a  wall here.  ;D

I took the "rating" to be a general "collection" of the abilities of the weapon - the good and the bad. Ergo - I take a rating of F to be "generally" better than a rating of G and one of B to be considerably better than F.

I wasn't suggesting for a second that a weapon with a better rating was better in all ways to a weapon with a worse rating...it depends I guess on what you're looking for. The rating is just a guide

But it's not fixed and gimbal - it's a rating.  :P

I'm going to play - or do whatever it is I do in this game.
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Just don't fight in a sidey or an eagle with stock lasers...regardless. Of whether you upgrade. You MAY live but unlikely

Truthfully, the best way to see wha weapon is better than another is price. The more effective, the higher the price. Again, not always....eagles have notoriously low power supply so any lasers will drain quick without a power supply upgrade

SirAndrewD

I was doing really well, but a lot of the threads over at the Frontier Official forums have made me put a bit of the brakes on things. 

It seems the devs have backed off on the concept that the Gamma is the Preview, and the belief has become pretty prevalent that a release day wipe is coming.

I really can's stand the idea of losing my stuff again.  I was happy to test and test during Beta, but I'm kind of ready to get it on now that we're feature complete.   

EDIT: Unfortunately, yeah, they're all but confirming an end of Gamma wipe now.  https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63841
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mikeck

I just assume there will be a wipe. No reason NOT to if it makes the release version more stable. If they don't, great. But I'm with you.  I stopped playing last night and won't pick it up until release. I've lost stuff I worked hard for twice (which I expected) and am tired of going through the same motions

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on November 23, 2014, 05:26:17 PM
I just assume there will be a wipe. No reason NOT to if it makes the release version more stable. If they don't, great. But I'm with you.  I stopped playing last night and won't pick it up until release. I've lost stuff I worked hard for twice (which I expected) and am tired of going through the same motions

Yeah, I completely understand the logic of it, and the necessity.  I'm just done testing, I did a lot of that in Beta.  Ah well.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback