Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 02, 2015, 09:45:22 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2015, 08:00:43 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 02, 2015, 07:09:08 PM
Im still going to wait a few months before getting it.

You're a retard.

Im a busy retard with Rome2, APOS, WoT and Civ4 to play.

Elite is probably the best space flight open world adventure combat privateer game (I think I just coined a new genre) ever made. It may even be one of the best games ever made period. You're a total space head. There is no reason and no excuse for you to not be out there flying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

all of the games I mentioned are terrestrial.
and in space no one can hear me fart.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Im going to get it but Im in no rush.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 02, 2015, 10:05:51 PM
Im going to get it but Im in no rush.

The point I'm trying to make is, you should be.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GDS_Starfury

is there a Kessel Run trade route?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 02, 2015, 10:19:23 PM
is there a Kessel Run trade route?

Yep.  My ship can make it in less than 12 parsecs. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mikeck

Jarhead, I haven't noticed anything like that. When I accidntally tag a fed or friendly and get a bounty, I return to the station, pay it off and head right back out. I've never seen any Feds still red when I wt back. I HAVE on occasion had private ships turn read when I take their bounty. I flew in on a wanted cobra when another "clean" cobra was takin him out. I lent a hand, blew up the bad guy and collected the bounty. As soon as I did, the clean guy turned red. He didn't Fire at me...was just red.
Had that happen on multiple occasions. Also, had ships appear as red...they turn out to be wanted but there is no way my radar should "know" that until I have scanned them.

On another note, I just bought a cobra. By the time i traded in my viper, with my banked cash, I had about 275k to upgrade my cobra. I am armed with 2 multi cannons and 2 burst lasers...all gimbaled. I upgraded an empty slot to include additional cargo, upgraded my shield genrator, frame shift drive and power genrator. Had about 65k left over to buy my first cargo and insurance....my point is that it takes a ton of cash to pimp out the cobra so I think you are on the right track picking up bounties for awile. I really could use another 500k of upgrades.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mikeck on January 02, 2015, 10:45:33 PM
Jarhead, I haven't noticed anything like that. When I accidntally tag a fed or friendly and get a bounty, I return to the station, pay it off and head right back out. I've never seen any Feds still red when I wt back. I HAVE on occasion had private ships turn read when I take their bounty. I flew in on a wanted cobra when another "clean" cobra was takin him out. I lent a hand, blew up the bad guy and collected the bounty. As soon as I did, the clean guy turned red. He didn't Fire at me...was just red.
Had that happen on multiple occasions. Also, had ships appear as red...they turn out to be wanted but there is no way my radar should "know" that until I have scanned them.

On another note, I just bought a cobra. By the time i traded in my viper, with my banked cash, I had about 275k to upgrade my cobra. I am armed with 2 multi cannons and 2 burst lasers...all gimbaled. I upgraded an empty slot to include additional cargo, upgraded my shield genrator, frame shift drive and power genrator. Had about 65k left over to buy my first cargo and insurance....my point is that it takes a ton of cash to pimp out the cobra so I think you are on the right track picking up bounties for awile. I really could use another 500k of upgrades.

If you've got about 20 tons of space, try the rare goods route I suggested earlier.  It'll net you a quick couple of million for a day's effort.  The Cobra is great at running rare goods.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I did almost the same. I bought a cobra, upgraded the FSD, cargo hold, power plant and coupler, added two gimbaled multi cannons and swapped out the fixed pulse lasers for gimbaled burst lasers. Added a point defense system and a fuel scoop too. I kept the viper though. Just couldn't get rid of her. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to get a mining laser and a refinery. Is there money in mining?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2015, 10:50:58 PM

I did almost the same. I bought a cobra, upgraded the FSD, cargo hold, power plant and coupler, added two gimbaled multi cannons and swapped out the fixed pulse lasers for gimbaled burst lasers. Added a point defense system and a fuel scoop too. I kept the viper though. Just couldn't get rid of her. I'm trying to figure out whether I want to get a mining laser and a refinery. Is there money in mining?

If you're hitting the right metals like gold, silver, palladium, yeah, there's money in mining.  It's not as much as trading though.  Trading profits increase exponentially based on cargo space.  If you dabble in rare goods, it's even more of an explosion in profit.  There's not another job that matches it. 

If you want to maximize trading profits, explore Slopey's Best Profit Calculator tool.  It's very good for finding extreme profit routes quickly. 

For the ultimate rare goods circuit, worth millions per trip, try this:  http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2q3goa/lazy_rare_goods_circuit_by_cmdr_daggoo/

mikeck

Ok, I give ....what is a "rare good"

I must have ended up in a different area of the Galaxy than everyone else..I've never heard of any of those places. I checked and they are waaaaaayyyy far from me. Right now I will stick to the old fashioned way: pick up what is in high supply and sell what I have when I find a place its in demand

Love this video by the way...laugh out loud everytime I watch it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPtigdFxnA
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2015, 09:01:35 PM
I'm noticing an interesting trend. I've been bounty hunting exclusively in one system for a few days now. I've made a lot of money and killed a lot of criminals. On a few occasions, a Federal Security ship will cross my line of fire causing an instant bounty and a 200 credit fine.  When this happens, I usually stick around and finish a few kills and then head back to the nearest dock to refit. I have NEVER defended myself against the Feds and I have never opened fire on them or destroyed any federal ship attacking me. When I return to dock, I pay the fine, wipe out the bounty and head back out into the field.

Recently, I started noticing that when returning to my hunting ground, a few, but not all, of the federal security ships are red on my radar and will attack me on sight. I do not have a bounty, or have wanted status. Additionally, I'm noticing that a few of the the wanted criminals are popping up as green on my hud and will not attack me unless I attack them.  I checked my reputation and in all systems they are all neutral, or better. What is causing this trend? Is there heat that you generate simply from engaging in combat, or have those little fines here and there somehow effected my overall reputation that is not discernible from the the reputation screen? Its starting to be a bigger problem and causing me to have shorten my runs. Shorter runs means less money.

As soon as I make enough dosh to upgrade my Cobra, I plan on leaving this system behind for awhile, but I'm still curious as to what is going on here.
So your reputation has followed you into space...so what...get over it  :P
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

JH, there is a possible explanation .
...the strongest local faction in a system is the authority (and sports the 'police' vessels) so if the balance had shifted over to a different local faction now they are the system authority .... so if you were blowing up wanted (local by faction B ) ships of lets say Space Company A , while Space Company B had the authority and later the authority switched from B to A, now the vessels of B (now some of them wanted by A) are now green, while the new authority A (who man the 'police' vessels now too) that faction you had some how harassed the last runs with your action in their struggle against B show up red.

in the meantime my workhorse Cobra is beefed up  ...and i was able to take two Black Ops rank mission
and had each time neutralize a person traveling in a Drop Ship (they show up in USSs btw)
and so made Petty Officer in the Federation.
also I got a permit and invitation for a star system some 86ly away ...but ED-forum-reading told: there is no benefit in traveling to that star, nothing happend there to those who had made the trip  ... it just a nice way to hand out the new permit...AFAIK.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Every bounty (which has been like 4) I've tried so far has been stolen from me by the damned Fed security forces.   I do 90% of the work, take a beating, then those bastards swoop in and get the kill shot. 

JudgeDredd

Well, I have a few credits left and I'm looking at buying something for the Hauler. It might be a waste of money or not - I don't know. Trouble is, I think, there's not a lot of info.

For example - I'm looking at an upgraded FSD. Now the one I'm looking at is all blue and orange except power draw which is red. So I get that blue is better and red is worse and orange is the same. That's not really the problem. The problem is this...

The "blue items" are rating, integrity and optimal mass. In particular what's drawing my attention is the Optimal Mass. So the "rating" is a general sig given to a product and this one is better. But the game gives no information at all as to the benefits. What exactly is the benefit of a better Optimal Mass or better Integrity. In fact with Integrity, what does that even actually mean?

So - my (latest) gripe, I suppose, is the game doesn't give you that info. Kind of minor - probably to most. It "generically" tells you what parts of the item are better or worse, but it doesn't tell you how that will affect you. I don't want the game to spoon feed me everything....but I don't want to waste my hard earned credits buying something "better" that isn't better in the way I needed it to be

I'm off to see if the wiki helps - but I think it could be in game.
Alba gu' brath