Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 05, 2020, 11:33:06 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on June 05, 2020, 02:42:55 AM
...playing my games on my big 43" 4K montor

Whoa! Curious what specs you need to run games on a 43" 4K monitor !  Is a single RTX 2080 Ti enough?  I have an RTX 2080 'super' which comfortably runs my modest 27" 1440p monitor, but doubt very much it could manage what you've got!

I never knew the size of the monitor made any difference. 4K is 4K, no? I've been running games off of a 42" 4K monitor for a long time. I've run everything from a 1070, 1080 to a 2080ti. You definitely do not need 2 2080ti's...although that would be pretty sick! lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Yeah, resolution is what demands horsepower. The size of the monitor governs pixel density. For example a 27" 1080p monitor had a lesser pixeldensity than a 27" 1440p one.
If your resolution is too low for the size of the monitor you'll see a slightly blurred image. Big size budget monitors suffer from this.

But the demand on the videocard is the same for a given resolution, regardless of monitor size.

4K runs fine at 60hz on a 1080 (non Ti), which is what I run.
If you want to run at 144hz you'll need more powah!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

sandman2575

You guys are blowing my mind.  I was definitely under the impression that larger monitor required more GPU horsepower, resolution being constant... so that a 42" 4K required a lot more juice than a 27" 4K because there were so many more pixels to manage on the bigger screen.

Anyway, this is good to know! (Maybe you can tell I'm not exactly a math & science guy... O0).

I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse now with my recently acquired 1440p monitor because I was under the impression that an RTX 2080 wouldn't handle a larger 4K monitor well. Ah well. I do like 1440p and more monitor real estate. I had been playing on a 24" 1080p monitor for many, many years.

Yskonyn

I have a 27" 1440p one as a second monitor (144hz for shooters et al) and I love the sharpness of the thing.

The 43" 4K monitor is a Philips professional model, built for graphic design. So it has a great pixel density and true colour calibration (even comes with a calibration report) which I value much.
I am a sucker for correct colours (I also do photo and digital art) and I can't stand most 'gaming profiles' that many monitors have.
The gaming specs (latency) on the 43" are ok, not stellar, but not bad either. I've never run into any ghosting issues. Which is a common issue on monitors specced for art and design instead of gaming.
Yet most gaming monitors have pretty awful red or blue colour gamut offsets which irk me to no end!

Its all about compromises I reckon. :)

Your RTX2080 is a beast. It can run 4K without breaking so much as a sweat. (On 60hz)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

sandman2575

Though I love the idea of a nice big 4K monitor, I do think I've grown too used to high-refresh monitors. I've been using a 144Hz monitor for years, and now my 1440p is 144Hz as well. I can't go back to 60Hz. The difference is subtle, but real. You're not really aware of what the high refresh rate is doing until it gets taken away from you! Kinda the same with G-Sync.

Toonces

Man alive 43" is a frickin' huge monitor.  And here I am feeling all fancy pants with my measly 27" monitor.  I guess an upgrade is in order.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Forget the 4k monitors. 

I am obscenely happy with my 34" Ultrawide that runs in 21:9 and more than 60FPS frames on even Doom Eternal in Ultimate Nightmare video mode. 

If I were to get a monitor right now I might even consider ultra ultrawide in the 49" range.

Screen real estate at the edges is better than just being big and having max resolution. 

I can't go back from the curved ultrawide.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 05, 2020, 09:10:54 PM
Forget the 4k monitors. 

I am obscenely happy with my 34" Ultrawide that runs in 21:9 and more than 60FPS frames on even Doom Eternal in Ultimate Nightmare video mode. 

If I were to get a monitor right now I might even consider ultra ultrawide in the 49" range.

Screen real estate at the edges is better than just being big and having max resolution. 

I can't go back from the curved ultrawide.

I tried Ultra Wide as well, but I am not a fan. Many games stretch their UI to the far edges. At least the games I played. Perhaps new games do this better now.

As for 144hz. It certainly is a gamechanger for FPS games. Which is why I run a 1440p 27" 144hz screen as a second monitor!
For simming and wargaming there is no difference between 60hz or 144hz for me. Some people are sensitive to refresh rates and find higher rates calmer to their eyes, though.
I only detect the latency change and smoother control in FPS games on 144hz, nothing else.

Pete Dero

Frontier Developments announced today a major free update for the long running space epic, Elite Dangerous. The rich season of content Horizons will be folded into the base game for free for all Elite Dangerous owners on 27 October. Players will receive the complete Horizons experience via a free update to Elite Dangerous on PC, the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and the Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system. Players who previously purchased Horizons will receive an exclusive Azure paint job compatible with all 41 ships currently in game.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons brings planetary landings to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, together with weapon crafting, ship-launched fighters and exhilarating multicrew co-op action. This premium expansion also allows players to put wheels on the ground and explore the galaxy up-close with the SRV Scarab ground vehicle, and access to many surface star ports and other locations.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/215299/elite-dangerous-horizons-goes-free-next-month

Zulu1966

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 29, 2020, 10:28:02 AM
Frontier Developments announced today a major free update for the long running space epic, Elite Dangerous. The rich season of content Horizons will be folded into the base game for free for all Elite Dangerous owners on 27 October. Players will receive the complete Horizons experience via a free update to Elite Dangerous on PC, the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and the Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system. Players who previously purchased Horizons will receive an exclusive Azure paint job compatible with all 41 ships currently in game.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons brings planetary landings to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, together with weapon crafting, ship-launched fighters and exhilarating multicrew co-op action. This premium expansion also allows players to put wheels on the ground and explore the galaxy up-close with the SRV Scarab ground vehicle, and access to many surface star ports and other locations.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/215299/elite-dangerous-horizons-goes-free-next-month

Bit pissed I paid for all this stuff now being released for free. Patience is a virtue I guess. One I dont possess unfortunately.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

^But you get a free paint job for your dedication and support.  :-X
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2020, 11:39:56 AM
^But you get a free paint job for your dedication and support.  :-X

I know, it's just Epic !

Pete Dero

KyzBP

I don't mean to necro this thread but I finally bought this during the winter sale.  I've been playing on the PC for the last couple of days and it is absolutely amazing.  Then I bought it for my son, who has a VR headset.  HOLY $#it!  This game in VR is beyond words.  I'm tempted to get a headset for myself just because it's so incredible.

The moral of this story is BUY THIS while it's under $8!  The reality though is that I was probably the last guy on this sight to buy this.

Pete Dero

https://www.elitedangerous.com/news/article/odyssey-2021-update/

The release of the Elite Dangerous: Odyssey expansion is being delayed due to COVID-19. They say this will enter alpha testing for PC in early spring and will be released in late spring. The console release will follow in August.