Main Menu

Started by eyebiter, April 19, 2014, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyebiter

Nefaro

I just grabbed WitE with the sale and the coupon.  Dunno when/if I'll ever get around to it.  Was a real impulse buy due to the sales. 

They got me on that one..  getting Nef to buy a WW2 game.  Amazing!

I'm like a woman seeing something on sale that I may not really want or need but end up buying it anyway.. because it's on sale!  :P

On a more serious note... are there any issues I should know about with WitE?  Also.. is WitW gonna be another "premium" priced product?  My past experiences with those haven't been quite what I expected for the price.

spelk

Quote from: Nefaro on April 19, 2014, 03:32:19 PM
On a more serious note... are there any issues I should know about with WitE?  Also.. is WitW gonna be another "premium" priced product?  My past experiences with those haven't been quite what I expected for the price.

Nef, read up on the Operational Boot Camp thread, or find a copy of the PDF file - its a much smoother intro to the game, start small, baby steps etc.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2649216

The bootcamp might be a bit out of date now, I found it helpful when it was first released but there might be better info elsewhere now.

I'd wager Matrix will market WitW at the premium price also - but I don't really know. I think its a new standalone product rather than an expansion/DLC for WitE.

Nefaro

mikeck

Bah! tutorials are what babies do. Fire up the largest scenario and just start moving chits around. after you do that about 15 minutes and get your butt kicked, quit the game and complain about too much micromanagement
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on April 20, 2014, 08:05:31 AM
Bah! tutorials are what babies do. Fire up the largest scenario and just start moving chits around. after you do that about 15 minutes and get your butt kicked, quit the game and complain about too much micromanagement

LOL!

I played a bit of a smaller scenario to get my bearings.  It doesn't seem excessively complicated, just large in size & quantity.

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on April 20, 2014, 08:05:31 AM

Don't forget that you have to complain about how unintuitive the UI is, too!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

magnus

I never understood all the WITE hate. I bought it last year fired it up and and was invading to my hearts content in not long at all. It seemed intuitive to me.

I think TOAW is a much harder game to get the hang of.

panzerde

Quote from: magnus on April 20, 2014, 12:11:41 PM
I never understood all the WITE hate. I bought it last year fired it up and and was invading to my hearts content in not long at all. It seemed intuitive to me.

I think TOAW is a much harder game to get the hang of.

I agree; I was being sarcastic and referencing that same WitE whinging. It's not just with WitE, either...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

I just grabbed WitE with the sale and the coupon.  Dunno when/if I'll ever get around to it.  Was a real impulse buy due to the sales. 

I'm like a woman seeing something on sale that I may not really want or need but end up buying it anyway.. because it's on sale!  :P

Regarding issues. Game runs great. And game balance is getting tweaked though numerous patches. I would say it is at its prime.

But there are unchangeable game design decisions that may bother some players.
1) 3 unit stacking limit. And three units mean 3 counters.   You can stack 3 Soviet armies but only 3 German divisions.
2) isolation rule. You can cut off supply from hordes of enemy troops in one turn. If supply is still blocked the next turn, they are isolated. Once isolated, they easily surrender once attacked. This actually simulated Op Barbarossa well. But quite gamey.
3) Germans usually loses the Grand Campaign. To bad for Axis fan boys.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on April 21, 2014, 07:50:26 PM

Regarding issues. Game runs great. And game balance is getting tweaked though numerous patches. I would say it is at its prime.

But there are unchangeable game design decisions that may bother some players.
1) 3 unit stacking limit. And three units mean 3 counters.   You can stack 3 Soviet armies but only 3 German divisions.
2) isolation rule. You can cut off supply from hordes of enemy troops in one turn. If supply is still blocked the next turn, they are isolated. Once isolated, they easily surrender once attacked. This actually simulated Op Barbarossa well. But quite gamey.
3) Germans usually loses the Grand Campaign. To bad for Axis fan boys.

I can understand the counter stack limit being rather odd since there is such a disparity in unit sizes between the two sides.  But the Axis fanboy part is hilarious.  I suppose it gives them a huge challenge (as it should) but we know how they froth if the Nazis aren't supermen.  ;D 

I'll be playing the Soviet side, to start, anyway.  I'm one of the small minority who starts off playing them in most East Front or WW2 game.  I'm pretty sure there's a large percentage of wargamers who only play ze Germans.

Skoop

I thought the land combat was pretty well done but the air combat system I scratched my head at. I pummel the red air force on day one and just ignored the air war other than to air resupply the rest of the campaign.  If I fire up wite again, I want to tool around with the editor.  The last time I messed with the editor, think it gave me the impression of being a nitemare.  I wish I could just do some tweaking to simulate different what if scenarios for the grand campaign.  One thing I like about the soviets is you can build and organize your own units so it allows for more customization, it's just not much fun playing the soviets until Barbarossa ends.

JudgeDredd

The damage to railways gets me. In terms of attacking and moving, very intuitive. I also get confused with the various HQs, their ranges and requirements in terms of keeping up with the front.

Thank GOD they stopped the "retreating" HQ when you moved a unit off the HQ stack!

And Nefaro - I am one of those who ALWAYS play the Germans.  ;D It never occurs to me to play the Brits, Yanks, French, Polish, Russians....always the Germans.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 22, 2014, 02:24:37 PM

And Nefaro - I am one of those who ALWAYS play the Germans.  ;D It never occurs to me to play the Brits, Yanks, French, Polish, Russians....always the Germans.

You're probably in a majority.  It's quite common.

I've seen people toss a fit and quite before a game has begun because it didn't look like they could play as ze Germans.  LOL.

GibbyG

I always play the Allies because growing up my best friend always had to play the Germans  :)