Wish I had a FRIDAY

Started by Pete Dero, May 07, 2021, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Vintage Dude on May 08, 2021, 10:08:26 AM
Can you get a discount if you bought a hard copy of the original game?

I just entered the code I got with my CD version and it worked : discount unlocked.

Vintage Dude

I will give it a try. Thanks for the information.

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on May 07, 2021, 03:44:58 PM
Was W8 talking about me?

No it was a cryptic quote of mine for the song by Nik Kershaw. 

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Cruelty Squad.  The best way I can describe this game is if Deus Ex and EYE: Divine Cybermancy took too much LSD and had a baby with David Cronenberg in the room watching approvingly, this game would be the resultant child.  The story/world is absurd and utterly insane.  It seems to take place in a dystopian cyberpunk-type world where corporations control everything and mete out drugs, cybernetic implants, illegal organs, death, and all sorts of fun dystopian stuff in the name of profits.  You play as a corpo hitman who goes around "liquidating" important assets (i.e. people) for rather absurd reasons, like the CEO of a space exploration company who did too good of a job increasing the survival rate of colonization missions to Mercury, failing to understand that these "colonization" missions are actually "sacrificial" missions meant to sate your bosses' appetites for mass death.  Once you take him out, a new CEO can be installed who better understands the importance of mass-scale human sacrifice.

The gameplay is surprisingly tight for how (intentionally) janky the graphics and aesthetic look.  The colors and polygons are intentionally harsh on the eyes, which actually makes it a bit harder to distinguish enemies from civilians, but at the end of the day I'm not sure you actually get penalized at all for killing civies.  Gameplay wise it is quite similar to the original Deus Ex, though watered down, with a satisfying mix of stealth and action and some fun weapon variants.  I love some of the Cronenbergian bionic implants, like a "skullgun" where you scoop out part of that useless brain matter and replace it with a micro-caliber HE gun that burst-fires out of your face.  Also, "Nightmare Vision Goggles" has to be my favorite video game item in recent memory.

The music is awesome too.  There's also a whole stock market system you can use which I haven't really tried, but you can collect livers and brains from downed enemies and try to sell them when their prices are high (or buy more when they're low  >:D)

EDIT - realized it's Cronenberg I'm thinking of and not Lynch.   ^-^
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on May 08, 2021, 06:11:19 PM
Cruelty Squad.  The best way I can describe this game is if Deus Ex and EYE: Divine Cybermancy took too much LSD and had a baby with David Cronenberg in the room watching approvingly, this game would be the resultant child.  The story/world is absurd and utterly insane.  It seems to take place in a dystopian cyberpunk-type world where corporations control everything and mete out drugs, cybernetic implants, illegal organs, death, and all sorts of fun dystopian stuff in the name of profits.  You play as a corpo hitman who goes around "liquidating" important assets (i.e. people) for rather absurd reasons, like the CEO of a space exploration company who did too good of a job increasing the survival rate of colonization missions to Mercury, failing to understand that these "colonization" missions are actually "sacrificial" missions meant to sate your bosses' appetites for mass death.  Once you take him out, a new CEO can be installed who better understands the importance of mass-scale human sacrifice.

The gameplay is surprisingly tight for how (intentionally) janky the graphics and aesthetic look.  The colors and polygons are intentionally harsh on the eyes, which actually makes it a bit harder to distinguish enemies from civilians, but at the end of the day I'm not sure you actually get penalized at all for killing civies.  Gameplay wise it is quite similar to the original Deus Ex, though watered down, with a satisfying mix of stealth and action and some fun weapon variants.  I love some of the Cronenbergian bionic implants, like a "skullgun" where you scoop out part of that useless brain matter and replace it with a micro-caliber HE gun that burst-fires out of your face.  Also, "Nightmare Vision Goggles" has to be my favorite video game item in recent memory.

The music is awesome too.  There's also a whole stock market system you can use which I haven't really tried, but you can collect livers and brains from downed enemies and try to sell them when their prices are high (or buy more when they're low  >:D)

EDIT - realized it's Cronenberg I'm thinking of and not Lynch.   ^-^

I'll have to try this.  It sounds a lot like hell let loose.

al_infierno

Quote from: MengJiao on May 09, 2021, 08:47:14 AM

I'll have to try this.  It sounds a lot like hell let loose.

:2funny:  Yeah, I practically can't tell the two apart!

If anyone's still curious, here's an awesome Steam review that describes Cruelty Squad much better than I could:

Every minute in this game feels like three minutes. I respect this game immensely- it may look like a joke at first, but it simply has no patience for you. No desire to point you in any direction. It's a videogame for people who hate videogames and play videogames too much. It's un-advertisable- even as I sit here, itching to play in its space more, I can't think of exactly how to talk about it. You bunnyhop across familiar American landscapes and gore the plastic simulacrum of decadent upper-class types and their armed-to-the-teeth private security over and over, while the disgusting and discordant, might I even dare to say REALISTIC world around you does its best to remind you that your computer is made of conflict minerals. There's nothing I can say about this game that will accurately represent engaging in it in earnest, though I recommend turning off the music if you don't want to get near instantly filtered. The 640x480 resolution was passed down to us by God. You can set the blood color of the denizens of the world around you- I recommend white, or bile yellow, for full realism.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao