Is HOI III one of those games you have to buy all expansions...

Started by Tuna, November 18, 2012, 11:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

from the same sales point?... I bought all my expansions from Gamers Gate.. But I see Their Finest Hour is on sale at GamesStop, just wondering if I would be able to use this with my installation?

Oops.. nevermind.. I see at the bottom it says requires Gamestop versions... I hate it when games do this!

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on November 18, 2012, 11:10:03 AM

Oops.. nevermind.. I see at the bottom it says requires Gamestop versions... I hate it when games do this!

It's generally just the ones that are integrated with the host's retail software.. Steam, Gamestop, etc.  Perhaps it's quite intentional, too, so that you're not out buying DLC from anyone other than who you purchased the game with.  ::)

And, yes, I believe HOI3 is one of the numerous old Pdox games where the updates came in DLC they charged for.  I grabbed the "Collection" version awhile back and that was good enough to get by on (there may be one more xpac after that?).

Tuna

I bought the game on disk when it first came out.. Then later started buying expansions on GamersGate when o sale. Finally.. I also bought Collections as well, so I wouldn't have to keep looking for the disk when I wanted to resintall.

Oh well.. I also see GameStop said something about having to download a Client.. not interested then.. If you want to require a client, I have Steam... I also have Origin, on whichmy kids have quite a few games on, but I am not a fan of Origin at all.. My only game on there is BF3.. the rest of the games are all my boys stuff.. Sims type games and other EAgame crap..

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on November 18, 2012, 11:59:36 AM
I bought the game on disk when it first came out.. Then later started buying expansions on GamersGate when o sale. Finally.. I also bought Collections as well, so I wouldn't have to keep looking for the disk when I wanted to resintall.

Oh well.. I also see GameStop said something about having to download a Client.. not interested then.. If you want to require a client, I have Steam... I also have Origin, on whichmy kids have quite a few games on, but I am not a fan of Origin at all.. My only game on there is BF3.. the rest of the games are all my boys stuff.. Sims type games and other EAgame crap..

Yes, Gamestop is using the old Stardock sales software.  I'm not sure if they started restricting usage more, as I've not really bought much through it, especially lately.  Evidentally their game versions have enough integrated from the sales client as to force you to only buy further DLC from them, too.

Rekim

Glad I noticed this thread before the end of the day. Just scooped TFH for $4. Not bad for being released less than two months ago.

I did pretty well when I snagged Semper fi and For the Motherland as well. Almost makes up for the mistake of buying vanilla HOI3 on release.

gocrows

I already own all HOI, apart from Their Finest Hour. Instead of paying $20, I repurchased the HOI Collection, with all DLC, and TFH, for a grand total of $8.50! Can't argue with that!

smittyohio

Quote from: gocrows on November 19, 2012, 06:45:30 AM
I already own all HOI, apart from Their Finest Hour. Instead of paying $20, I repurchased the HOI Collection, with all DLC, and TFH, for a grand total of $8.50! Can't argue with that!

:o   Where did you find that deal.... ?   

steve58

...sounds like a Steam holiday sale price...less TFH, but the holiday sales are upon us.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)