Started by tgb, November 20, 2012, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Can Imperialism II be far behind?

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Queeg

My favorite games of all time.

Perfect candidates for iPad resurrection. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on November 20, 2012, 10:13:39 AM
Quote from: tgb on November 20, 2012, 08:58:25 AM
Can Imperialism II be far behind?
I live in hope...

I expect someone here will notify us when that happens?

I'd also expect that to be the case.. if it was also published & owned by Ubisoft (as was this one).

I never played either Imperialism game for some odd reason.  Probably because I never saw it for sale at the brick & mortars back then and didn't hear much about it until a long time later.

steve58

This thread caught my eye and forced me to dig out my old Imperialism II CD just to see if it'd load/play on Windows 7 (Pro, 64-bit, SP1)...and it does!  :)   ...or at least seems to so far, haven't messed with it more than loading and firing up a game, but no crashes.  Something to mess with over the long weekend...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Queeg on November 20, 2012, 10:14:45 AM
My favorite games of all time.

Perfect candidates for iPad resurrection.

Totally true!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2012, 10:23:15 AM

I never played either Imperialism game for some odd reason.  Probably because I never saw it for sale at the brick & mortars back then and didn't hear much about it until a long time later.

Highly recommend Imperialism I at GOG for $6.  Graphics are dated of course, but the game really shines.  Kind of like a lite version of Vicky II with some elements of transportation tycoon mixed in, but turn based.  The manual is about 100 pages...so there is quite a bit of depth.  You develop your empire through conquest or development.  Pick your takeover targets based on their natural resources.  Establish trading relations.  Send in developers to buy up the resources.  Bribe them.   Then, if they still don't want to be "civilized" send in your armies. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Queeg

Quote from: steve58 on November 20, 2012, 10:27:35 AM
This thread caught my eye and forced me to dig out my old Imperialism II CD just to see if it'd load/play on Windows 7 (Pro, 64-bit, SP1)...and it does!  :)   ...or at least seems to so far, haven't messed with it more than loading and firing up a game, but no crashes.  Something to mess with over the long weekend...

While confined to my laptop during the hurricane, I revisited Imperialism II for a couple of days.  What a great game!

Every time I play it, I wish we could pass legislation requiring all game designers to study it. 

1.  The interface is clean and everything is interconnected.

2.  You research something, you get to build it.  You build it, it produces tangible product.  If you build a lumber mill, it's so much more satisfying to get wood instead of a 0.000375% increase in some hidden production value.  (I wish the Paradox guys had been awake during Imperialism class.)     

2.  The game elements are simple but challenging:  six or so commodities, two of this makes one of that, and Worker A needs this food and Work B that food.  Simple.  But really hard to fulfill over the course of game - just when you're ready to take off, some critical shortage always creeps up on you.  (Compare to Paradox games.  In EUIII, for example, is there a single commodity that you really NEED?  Apart from tiny, largely invisible increases in income, why trade at all?)   

3.  Same with the transport system.  Developed a nice gold mine overseas?  Great, now all you have to do is transport the gold back home.  But, wait, you need those same ships for trade.  Or that grand invasion you've been planning.  You suddenly need more ships, which means you suddenly need more cloth, which means you suddenly need more cotton....which is also overseas, which means you need more ships....  (Again, I'm talking to you, Paradox.  A game mechanic, if well conceived, can be very simple and still very challenging.)

4.  I even like the combat (though I may be in the minority on this).  Each unit plays a specific role.  Tactics actually matter.  And I get to do it myself.  (Instead of just watching sprites stand on the map stabbing each other (for weeks!).  Another Paradox staple.)

5.  Finally, turned-based beats RTS for strategy games.  (RTS, with its emphasis on speed over thought, is too often just camouflage for a weak AI.)

My own view is that Paradox has taken us about as far as we can go in the spreadsheet as game genre.  Here's hoping we can press the reset button a bit and revisit the elements that made games great in the beginning, before mega-computers spawned game bloat, when game designers had to search for elegant abstractions.  That may be the best impact of the mobile platform.  (I actually think CK2 is an improvement on the typical Paradox model, though they seem intent on adding yet more layers of questionable complexity with each DLC.)

Thanks.  I needed to say this.  I feel better now.   ;)           

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 20, 2012, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 20, 2012, 10:23:15 AM

Highly recommend Imperialism I at GOG for $6.  Graphics are dated of course, but the game really shines.  Kind of like a lite version of Vicky II with some elements of transportation tycoon mixed in, but turn based.  The manual is about 100 pages...so there is quite a bit of depth.  You develop your empire through conquest or development.  Pick your takeover targets based on their natural resources.  Establish trading relations.  Send in developers to buy up the resources.  Bribe them.   Then, if they still don't want to be "civilized" send in your armies.

I'll definitely check it out sometime.  :)

FarAway Sooner

That's an awesome game.  About 10 years ago, I played on an Ultimate Frisbee team with 2 of the 3 lead folks from Frog City (who designed both I and II).  The guy who helped plot out the game system (w/his brother, whom I didn't know) had a great head for gaming, and his wife was a kick-ass project manager.  They eventually sold out to a larger company, but they had a good run for a while.

And Imperialism II was certainly their crown jewel.  If only there had been a way to get the AI to be more responsible with money, it would've been perfect!!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was always put off by the fact that the game used a randomly generated fictional world instead of a simulation of the real one.

OJsDad

Quote from: Queeg on November 20, 2012, 12:56:50 PM

While confined to my laptop during the hurricane, I revisited Imperialism II for a couple of days.  What a great game!

Every time I play it, I wish we could pass legislation requiring all game designers to study it. 

2.  You research something, you get to build it.  You build it, it produces tangible product.  If you build a lumber mill, it's so much more satisfying to get wood instead of a 0.000375% increase in some hidden production value.  (I wish the Paradox guys had been awake during Imperialism class.)     

2.  The game elements are simple but challenging:  six or so commodities, two of this makes one of that, and Worker A needs this food and Work B that food.  Simple.  But really hard to fulfill over the course of game - just when you're ready to take off, some critical shortage always creeps up on you.  (Compare to Paradox games.  In EUIII, for example, is there a single commodity that you really NEED?  Apart from tiny, largely invisible increases in income, why trade at all?)   

3.  Same with the transport system.  Developed a nice gold mine overseas?  Great, now all you have to do is transport the gold back home.  But, wait, you need those same ships for trade.  Or that grand invasion you've been planning.  You suddenly need more ships, which means you suddenly need more cloth, which means you suddenly need more cotton....which is also overseas, which means you need more ships....  (Again, I'm talking to you, Paradox.  A game mechanic, if well conceived, can be very simple and still very challenging.)

4.  I even like the combat (though I may be in the minority on this).  Each unit plays a specific role.  Tactics actually matter.  And I get to do it myself.  (Instead of just watching sprites stand on the map stabbing each other (for weeks!).  Another Paradox staple.)

5.  Finally, turned-based beats RTS for strategy games.  (RTS, with its emphasis on speed over thought, is too often just camouflage for a weak AI.)

My own view is that Paradox has taken us about as far as we can go in the spreadsheet as game genre.  Here's hoping we can press the reset button a bit and revisit the elements that made games great in the beginning, before mega-computers spawned game bloat, when game designers had to search for elegant abstractions.  That may be the best impact of the mobile platform.  (I actually think CK2 is an improvement on the typical Paradox model, though they seem intent on adding yet more layers of questionable complexity with each DLC.)

Have you ever actually played Victoria?  Diffently have to balance resources, goods and needs in that game. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Boggit

Quote from: OJsDad on November 20, 2012, 04:40:07 PM
Quote from: Queeg on November 20, 2012, 12:56:50 PM

Have you ever actually played Victoria?  Diffently have to balance resources, goods and needs in that game.
@OJsDad :)

Just got the impression - and I apologise if I'm wrong- that you think Imperialism II is Industrial Age - it's not. It covers approx 1492 to about 1800ish. If you want the Victorian/Industrial Age you need Imperialism I. If you get the CD you will need to set the compatibility settings on the setup file, otherwise you might have problems, as I did, when trying to get it to run in Win7. Both are good games, but have a different flavour. Graphics are hugely dated, but the game is fun.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

Great news indeed! I love both Imperialism and Imperialism II (as you can tell from my avatar!). I wish someone would make a good Imperialism III.
If anyone would like more color in Imperialism I have a mod that brightens things up a bit. There are two options but I think the second post is the better one.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak