Agents Of Smersh 2nd Edition Kickstarter

Started by Nefaro, August 06, 2014, 01:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Noticed the Agents of Smersh reprint kickstarter that will be over at the end of the month.  Good timing as I've had it on my 'Want' list for awhile but it's been difficult/expensive to find.  Figured I better commit while the grabbin's good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1545517208/agents-of-smersh-2nd-edition-the-ultimate-collecti

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on August 06, 2014, 01:20:26 AM
Noticed the Agents of Smersh reprint kickstarter that will be over at the end of the month.  Good timing as I've had it on my 'Want' list for awhile but it's been difficult/expensive to find.  Figured I better commit while the grabbin's good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1545517208/agents-of-smersh-2nd-edition-the-ultimate-collecti

I had the 1st Edition for awhile. Really fun game, but it always seemed incredibly easy. Maybe the expansion added some needed difficulty into the mix, though.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 06, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 06, 2014, 01:20:26 AM

I had the 1st Edition for awhile. Really fun game, but it always seemed incredibly easy. Maybe the expansion added some needed difficulty into the mix, though.

I've heard the same about Eldritch Horror being too easy, but I regularly lose or give up when things look nigh impossible.  I think the number of characters you use can have an effect on the difficulty in that case.  It may be the same for Smersh since it's a similar one.

bayonetbrant

I saw SMERSH at Origins 2 years ago and it looked like something I'd want to grab if I had a few spare $s.  Maybe getting in early on the Kickstarter is the way to go...  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 07, 2014, 10:49:11 AM
I saw SMERSH at Origins 2 years ago and it looked like something I'd want to grab if I had a few spare $s.  Maybe getting in early on the Kickstarter is the way to go...  :)

That's what I figured.  It looks like you get a (small) discount, along with a few extras.  I just went ahead and ordered it along with the expansion to save a few bucks on each and make sure I got a copy of them this time around before they sell out sometime afterward.

Nefaro

Just a heads-up for anyone looking to grab a copy of the upcoming second edition...

Got a couple emails giving some estimates on arrival time.  Sounds like the manufacturer is hoping to start shipping it from China at the very end of the month, so the copies should be hitting stores in February at the earliest or more likely March. 

No telling how many extras were manufactured this time.  I doubt it's going to instantly disappear like all the Dead Of Winter runs, but I also doubt they'll be commonly available after awhile (again). 

Nefaro

Just got the full package Agents of SMERSH 2nd Edition in today. 

This thing is heavy!  Must be the massive 'Book Of Encounters'.  I think it may even be a bit larger than the similar one in the newest Tales Of Arabian Nights edition.

Components look quite nice.  I'll post pic(s) once I get it all unpacked and on the table. 

Glad I jumped on the reprint Kickstarter.  Was getting exasperated about finding one of the original editions, they were so damn hard to find & nobody was reselling them before.

Update on this:

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 06, 2014, 03:06:44 PM

I read some posts about how the expansion, Swagman's Hope, made some game mechanic facet more serious/threatening and helped in this department.  As usual, will give some impressions when I know.

bayonetbrant

I've eyed it every time I've seen it at Origins, but always had something else pulling at my wallet
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

I played a two character solitaire game with the base set, also using the KS movement die.

Did seem rather easy, even though the final Intel reveal only provided me a win on the very last one flipped.  So it turned out less easy than it initially seemed, or I almost rushed to the win too quickly.  :o  Nevertheless, it was still pretty fun and played much more quickly than Arkham & Eldritch Horror.  If only those latter two had a similarly massive Adventure Book.  I'll never look at their paltry number of Encounters the same again.   

Next time I'll use the Swagman's Hope expansion.  I think it should be easy enough to up the difficulty, if it's still needed after adding the expansion, using the recommended difficulty option(s).