Main Menu

SGS Afrika Korps Competition

Started by Boggit, November 03, 2020, 10:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Philippe Thibaut of Avalon Gaming has kindly offered to sponsor a community competition based on their new Afrika Korps game releasing on 12th November 2020.
This is what the game looks like:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266640/SGS_Afrika_Korps/

The prize is a Steam Code for the winner's choice of any one of their games, see below:
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Avalon%20Digital&snr=1_5_9__422

At this stage I want to quantify who will participate.

When I know who is participating, I will arrange for the supply of Steam codes for the game free of charge to participants, and I will DM them to the players so we can get started.

I propose we do it this way:

Each game will be a win/lose sudden death in the league, save for the first round, where you play three games. The survivor will proceed to the next round.

Round 1
Operazione E 1940
Afrika Korps 1941
Battleaxe 1941

Round 2 Quarter Final
Crusader 1941

Round 3 Semi Final
Afrika Korps 1942

Round 4 Final
El Alamein 1942

On getting the participants - we optimally need an even number  - I will randomly allocate an odd group and an even group. The odd group will play Allies in their first game, and continue to alternate as Axis in their second game and so on. Almost the same for the even group who will play Axis first, then Allies etc.

To keep this simple - and avoid chasing every post on this thread - I will create a separate signup thread which I can just go through quickly to get numbers and names.

When we get going, feel free to add to the thread with your comments, AAR's, pictures etc. We may also have the developer/publisher pitch in during the competition which is an opportunity to ask about design decisions, future plans, feedback etc.

Unless the uptake is really slow, I suggest we formally start the game from 12th November (to tie in with the release date on Steam).

So sign up. Cry Havoc! and let loose the Dog's of War! :knuppel2:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Great! I'm glad you're in, but ...

Please... sign up on the Afrika Korps Signup thread, otherwise the signups will get all mixed up with other comments on this thread.

http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24990.0

Many thanks. O0

Boggit
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Shelldrake

Just signed up. Thanks for spearheading this Boggit!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Boggit

Quote from: Shelldrake on November 03, 2020, 03:31:38 PM
Just signed up. Thanks for spearheading this Boggit!
You're very welcome Shelldrake. I really enjoy running these competitions. I know you did well in the last one we did and I have high expectations that we will see some quality games from the players. I have tried to make the running a bit simpler than the last competition, but you learn as you go. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. :)

Boggit

Any news or has this competition died a death?

nelmsm

We gave up.  Too many issues with this PBEM system not letting us load the game or saying it wasn't our turn when the other had carefully checked to make sure we had finished it right.  Too me the game system may be sound but the PBEM is goofy and hard to manage.  If I play it will be solo.

Tripoli

Quote from: nelmsm on May 01, 2021, 09:40:33 AM
We gave up.  Too many issues with this PBEM system not letting us load the game or saying it wasn't our turn when the other had carefully checked to make sure we had finished it right.  Too me the game system may be sound but the PBEM is goofy and hard to manage.  If I play it will be solo.

I have to agree with Nelmsman.  At least 3 times we had moves stymied because the PBEM system didn't recognize the other player had moved.  These errors weren't caused by the player.  The frustration of fighting the system became too great to continue.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

88mmkwk

Quote from: Tripoli on May 01, 2021, 11:16:42 AM

I have to agree with Nelmsman.  At least 3 times we had moves stymied because the PBEM system didn't recognize the other player had moved.  These errors weren't caused by the player.  The frustration of fighting the system became too great to continue.

Does that mean I win the tourney???!!   ^-^  O:-)  :-"  :2funny:
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Boggit

I thought as much. I'm disappointed things turned out this way, but I guess these things happen. On the plus side it sounds like the single player aspect of the game is OK, so I guess there is some consolation there.

Boggit

Quote from: 88mmkwk on May 01, 2021, 12:49:28 PM

Does that mean I win the tourney???!!   ^-^  O:-)  :-"  :2funny:
Maybe. Did you win more games than anyone else?

If you did, you get the bragging right of adding "Rudiarius" to your profile as a competition winner. :clap: