More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 13, 2013, 12:00:41 PM
Quote from: Windigo on December 13, 2013, 11:38:04 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 13, 2013, 10:46:25 AM
That one's right up LB's alley.

LB, have you ever thought of putting a folder on your computer desktop with an ominous name containing a pdf of random numbers and letters and then seeing when and how often it gets opened by someone other than yourself?

when you are being watched by a 500 pound gorilla that has paranoia and poor impulse control .... you don't tease it

No, you give it pictures of naked 500 pound men.

Or what Canadianastaners call, "bears." With enough man-fur to get through the winters up there.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 13, 2013, 10:46:25 AM
That one's right up LB's alley.

LB, have you ever thought of putting a folder on your computer desktop with an ominous name containing a pdf of random numbers and letters and then seeing when and how often it gets opened by someone other than yourself?

No. But I do like to randomly post responses to stuff that I think is funny.

Back about six years ago my kids were into Webkinz. These were little stuffed animals that came with a code that unlocked a virtual animal of the same kind on a server.

Those servers were pretty innocuous - there were canned messages like "hi" and "would you like to visit my house?" (Kids had room and could buy furniture and stuff - some toys unlocked special furniture like trampolines and stuff).

Anyway, for a while it was nearly impossible to get Webkinz. The demand was really high. But, as it turned out after chatting with the store manager, US Customs was holding up big shipments of them for inspection.

Now I can't prove it, and Star will send me another tinfoil hat for suggesting it, but I'd bet you a dollar those shipments were being held up because some fruit loop at DHS was worried that somehow some bad guys were doing something with it.

Absurd? Absolutely.

But I have found it is impossible to underestimate the paranoia of a domestic spy agency with unlimited funds and no judicial oversight.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet you when the security seal is lifted on these ops a hundred years from now a lot of people are going to get and endless supply of laughter from this shenanigans.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

LongBlade

Mr. Bigglesworth

They meant mesa. Clearly not HL players.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

Quote from: mirth on December 12, 2013, 06:25:03 PM

Awesome!  That pic might very well be the winner of this entire thread. 

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 13, 2013, 09:44:35 AM
so, which GH member is playing the role of "Wally" today

Hey, I posted that two weeks ago!  Where've you been?  :P 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 12, 2013, 10:28:32 PM
and I hate Clan Mechs.
Now now.  Not everyone wants to pilot a Wasp, Marauder, or Atlas. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

^ They actually do that for inventory counting...turn the books around once they count them so they don't get re-counted. Usually done at the end of the day/just before closing so customers don't come in and mess it all up. I used to be a supervisor at a Book Stop many years ago.

And why I still remember that, I have no idea.

MetalDog

Because inventory at a book store is a pain in the ass!  Been there.  Done that.  Got the paper cut :(
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

I HATED working for Book Stop. Before that I worked for Waldenbooks at a San Antonio mall that was on its way down the ghetto drain. You'd think I would have learned.

My favorite phone calls:

BRRRRINGG
"Thank you for calling Book Stop, this is Michael, can I help you?"
"Yeah, I'm looking for a book..."
(pregnant pause)
No shit, really?

Staggerwing

For me working in a bookstore (several, actually) was fun( inventory, not so much). I didn't work for a large chain though. That might be the difference.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

I did my time at a Waldenbooks in the mall during high school.  easy frikin job.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

It was Waldenbooks for me, too.  If ever there is a Grog gathering, I will tell the story of my departure from said chain.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 14, 2013, 10:28:47 AM
I did my time at a Waldenbooks in the mall during high school.  easy frikin job.

It was easy, but the mall I was at had a gang fight at least once a week when I started, then it was two or three times a week when I left. This was almost always down on the lower level near the arcade and movie theater. It was sad because I grew up going to that mall. Saw plenty of shoplifters get tackled outside our store after trying to rip off Montgomery Ward's just a few stores down from us. The final straw was someone getting shot at a bus stop in front of the mall, and after that the place was deserted.

It was cool having a discount there, though.