More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

So confused... 

I'm sure I'll smack my head in mortification once it's explained to me, but what's with the giant Ritz cracker? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Martok on February 11, 2014, 05:23:39 PMSo confused... 

I'm sure I'll smack my head in mortification once it's explained to me, but what's with the giant Ritz cracker? 

bayonetbrant

JasonPratt

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 11, 2014, 10:11:06 AM

I love that one so much. :)

Also what Jesus would do: go out to fight an army led by ten kings, by Himself, hand to hand, and slaughter them for the birds to feed upon.

(Rev 19 among some other places. The kings actually get better in the next to last chapter and lead their people into the New Jerusalem, a detail most readers tend to ignore or gloss over. ;) Very much a Friendship Through Superior Firepower trope -- which might have been expected since the action in Rev 19 is phrased in terms which make it a variation of the ending of the Shepherd's Psalm which everyone likes to pray regarding themselves!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

It's somewhat funny, as well as disturbing, that many people use the Bible as a cudgel of sorts to infuse righteous indignation into any argument against certain human behaviors, but they fail to realize those same behaviors they rail against are actually IN the pages of that book to begin with.

I don't think one should be able to just pick and choose passages and then call the whole thing by those passages, when they need to know that just a few Psalms or chapters or books on, there's some slaughterin' and sexin' goin' on.  8)

JasonPratt

^^ True, although not all the slaughtering and sexing is presented as being morally right even on the face of it.

And in the overall story there are unexpected backdoor plotlines: the tribe who goes off to merrily genocide other tribes, is required to do so in a way that utterly shames themselves, and then comes to learn later that it stops being funny when it starts being them -- and that only the worst supervillains agree to do that sort of thing. So their eagerness for it morally boomarangs them eventually.

Then the Guy Who (supposedly) orders the genocide, shows up eventually to voluntarily die by torture at the hands of various groups of people who ought to have been His biggest allies -- in order to show He shares the suffering not only of innocent victims but also His own enemies, so that by doing so He can save even His own worst enemies (who are also the worst oppressors of the innocent).

It's a big story, and aside from thus being naturally difficult to keep all the details in mind, fanboys (if I may call us that) naturally like to pick the parts that they feel can justify their own preferences.

(I'll add self-critically that my own preference is not for my enemies to be saved, much less to voluntarily suffer for their sake. I'm no better than Israel in that regard.)

Still: what would Jesus do? Repeatedly warn His own apostles that if they don't stop being arrogant asses they're the ones who are going to the unquenchable fire! -- which isn't for the purpose they think it is!

(The details are definitely there in the story, but most teachers and preachers ignore or dismiss or creatively re-interpret important details of that sort. A self-fulfilling prophecy, one might say. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

as a parent my 'faith' in the story stops dead at abraham

'KILL YOUR CHILD'

'...............no'

BanzaiCat

I prefer the Book of Bill Cosby:

"I brought you into this world...I'll take ya out!"

undercovergeek

lol must have missed that after Deuteronomy

BanzaiCat

Here you go, undercovergeek:

8)

bayonetbrant

OK guys - don't get overly-sermonizing in the "laughs" thread.  We've got a whole sub-forum where you can get all (anti-)religious to your heart's content.

JasonPratt

^ True -- my fault for encouraging it.

Props to BC for looping back around to the thread theme. :)

BanzaiCat