More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Quote from: besilarius on November 11, 2015, 07:27:39 AM
Not the CUP!!!!

Took me a second to figure out that's probably about Starbucks removing "Merry Christmas" from their cups (therefore their coffee is of the devil).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2015, 10:29:07 AMTook me a second to figure out that's probably about Starbucks removing "Merry Christmas" from their cups (therefore their coffee is of the devil).

I'm not sure they ever said that.  But they did used to have decorations like snowflakes and now don't.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Because they're a bunch of caving crybabies.

Meanwhile it's my understanding that Dunkin' Donuts is all "F that noise" and decorating their cups with full Christmas regalia.

DD coffee is about 10x better than Starbucks, actually.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 11, 2015, 10:35:34 AMBecause they're a bunch of caving crybabies.

who is "they"?  Starbucks?  or the people whining about Starbucks?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

ill guess at starbucks for bowing to any pressure for those that whine they drink from a cup contrary to their religious beliefs

print 2 and make the non believers ask for a jihadi cup at the top of the voice

just so you can ask them if theyll be going into the office over the christmas break, because you know, they dont believe in christmas

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 11, 2015, 10:43:36 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 11, 2015, 10:35:34 AMBecause they're a bunch of caving crybabies.

who is "they"?  Starbucks?  or the people whining about Starbucks?

Either. Both. Take your pick.

JasonPratt

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 11, 2015, 10:30:52 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2015, 10:29:07 AMTook me a second to figure out that's probably about Starbucks removing "Merry Christmas" from their cups (therefore their coffee is of the devil).

I'm not sure they ever said that.  But they did used to have decorations like snowflakes and now don't.

Yes, true, they didn't actually say "Merry Christmas". But then it was weird that they removed the seasonally neutral decorations for the following official reason, "[we] wanted to usher in the holidays with a purity of design that welcomes all of our stories", ""to create a culture of belonging, inclusion and diversity", and that the "blank canvas" (that's their own official description in Sunday's press release responding to criticism) encourages ""customers to tell their Christmas stories in their own way."

Of course, they still sell cards saying "Merry Christmas" and still sell a "Christmas Blend". But that loops back around to why they'd remove stuff from the cups for those reasons. It's inconsistent.

Personally, I think someone said, "Y'know, these cups cost two cents less if we get them printed with less ink, so how can we spin that like we're doing customers a favor?"  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

(I want to be clear, I think it's silly for any Christians to act like we're being persecuted somehow by this. Thus what I figured was the point of the joke about "the CUP" turning someone into a devil. But the goofy explanations for blank-slating the cup decorations, do sound suspiciously like marketing rhetoric meant to appeal to a popular philosophy of reducing all ideas to an equivalent frothy nothing.)

Marty Ward

Hell just tell the Starbucks cashier your name is Mary Christmas and be done with it. The store will be ringing with holiday cheer!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 11, 2015, 02:03:18 PM
Hell just tell the Starbucks cashier your name is Mary Christmas and be done with it. The store will be ringing with holiday cheer!

Already been done.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/11/466123-starbucks-christmas-prank/

https://twitter.com/Abby_Zeez/status/662717433199726593?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

BECAUSE TYPING IN ALL CAPS = LEGITIMATE
,,,but at least she spelled "too" right.

Steelgrave

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2015, 12:59:58 PM
Of course, they still sell cards saying "Merry Christmas" and still sell a "Christmas Blend". But that loops back around to why they'd remove stuff from the cups for those reasons. It's inconsistent.

FYI Starbucks sells the very same "Christmas Blend" labeled in a "Holiday Blend" package for those folks who are offended by the notion of Christmas in any way, shape or form  ::)  :uglystupid2: :P

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on November 11, 2015, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 11, 2015, 12:59:58 PM

FYI Starbucks sells the very same "Christmas Blend" labeled in a "Holiday Blend" package for those folks who are offended by the notion of Christmas in any way, shape or form  ::)  :uglystupid2: :P

Hmmm. That gives me an idea.

We need to come up with a new brand. The brand name is "If You're Offended."

We'll sell everything that proves to be an alternative to offensive products. So, if you're offended by a "Christmas Blend" coffee, we'll sell you a "Holiday Blend." If you're offended by "Holiday Blend" we'll sell you an "Everyday Blend." If you're offended by "Everyday Blend" then we'll sell you an "Unremarkably Unique Day" blend.

It will be awesome.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Steelgrave on November 11, 2015, 03:17:44 PM

...my mind. It... the what. {process failure}

And yet, they still keep the Christmas Blend. They didn't just go for the total blank. Wait, does the Holiday Blend feature any of the art missing from the cup??

And will their November Time cups feature any art traditionally applicable to Thanksgiving?? (I should ask my sister-in-law Ishy, she's a big fan of Starbucks...) And what did they do for Halloween??

Man, if the internet doesn't generate at least a week's worth of LaughPix for this, the internet will have failed us!