More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 07:21:37 PM
I go trolling for Starfury, and I catch serious static!  I had no idea there were that many BaldeRunner fans around here.

Having never seen the movie, of course you'd have no idea who it might appeal to.  ::)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Quote from: LongBlade on January 07, 2016, 07:35:46 PM
I go trolling for Starfury, and I catch serious static!  I had no idea there were that many BaldeRunner fans around here.

Having never seen the movie, of course you'd have no idea who it might appeal to.  ::)

Contrary to popular Grogheads lore, I have seen the movie.  It was in the early 80's and either I was too young to understand it, or it's the hot mess I remember it to be.  The only way to know for sure is to watch it again.  Next time it hits Netflix, somebody let me know.

mirth

^Only seen Blade Runner once <smh>
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

So does that mean you'll help a brother out?

mirth

I can't watch it for you :P

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 07:30:08 PM
Et tu, Staggerwing?

Great fucking movie. Not only that but it's based on the great fucking Philip K. Dick novel called 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep'. How could you go wrong?

P.K Dick was a singular writer who embodied Scifi's 'New Wave' before there was such a thing. 'Radio Free Albemuth', 'VALIS', and 'Man in the High Castle' were a revelation for me when I read them many eons ago. 

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' was a great novel. Very different from the film, but both managed to be great in their way.

MetalDog

I'm sure I'd dig the book way more than the film.

So which one of you is going to keep an eye out for it on Netflix for me?

bbmike

Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 07:51:59 PM

Contrary to popular Grogheads lore, I have seen the movie.  It was in the early 80's and either I was too young to understand it, or it's the hot mess I remember it to be.  The only way to know for sure is to watch it again.  Next time it hits Netflix, somebody let me know.

So I'm the only one around here who hasn't seen it?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Just Redbox it for Pete's sake!

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on January 07, 2016, 08:05:07 PM
'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' was a great novel. Very different from the film, but both managed to be great in their way.

The film played down a lot of the disassociating 'World within a World' aspects of the novel. That theme of a hidden (and usually malevolent) reality beyond what is apparent is a recurring theme in many of Dick's novels. The movie also dispensed with 'Mercerism', the pseudo religion that was popular with much of the populace depicted in 'Android'.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 07, 2016, 08:08:54 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 07, 2016, 07:51:59 PM

So I'm the only one around here who hasn't seen it?

So you're the one who needs to be retired.