Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claes

Sign me up, it is my first multiplayer game but I'll give it a go.  I think I'll try Mictlan for this one as there seems to be some good guides, and for the most part I will be playing to learn ;)  Thanks for setting this up.

JasonPratt

First post has now been updated with the provisional name of the game and the map, with links to the Llamaserver info page for the game, and for downloading the map set.

Unzipping the map set should give two files, an image file and a data file; put both in the "maps" folder inside the main Dom3 folder.

Note that as/if more players sign up, I will look for a larger but equally epic map. I'll try to stay away from wraparound maps but keep in mind that wrappers neutralize corner advantages by putting everyone (in effect) in "the center", so in that sense it's actually easier for new players. (Warhammer isn't a wraparound map, but some other epic maps are.)

That may seem like a lot of territories, but it should give everyone an average of two steps from home base to play with.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

This by the way means players can start sending in pretenders. Don't worry, it won't auto start; if you change your mind you can send in another one.

I will however need a list of the email addresses from everyone that you intend to play the game with; email or pmail those to me, please.

W8, don't forget you haven't chosen a nation yet!--factions are being taken up at a pretty steady rate!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

byrdman57

One thing about that map is it seems there are a lot of island land provinces with no connections across the water. In a test game I started on the very bottom, and there were only 4 land provinces within reach without coming up with some way to cross the water. Might make for a challenging start for some folks.

JasonPratt

Well I expect we'll grow out of the map anyway. But if we don't I'll look into either modding it myself to remove those as start areas, or to provide more connections, or look into another variation of the map.

Did you look specifically at Squirrel's version?

byrdman57

I'm assuming so. I used the d/l link on the first page. The dead sea version is the same as well, just the sea provinces are worthless.

CptHowdy

map downloaded and the winning pretender sent in!! good luck gentlemen!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 05, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
This by the way means players can start sending in pretenders. Don't worry, it won't auto start; if you change your mind you can send in another one.

I will however need a list of the email addresses from everyone that you intend to play the game with; email or pmail those to me, please.

W8, don't forget you haven't chosen a nation yet!--factions are being taken up at a pretty steady rate!

pm sent jason - thanks for the hard work

JasonPratt

I'll fiddle with the map (unless we pick up enough players to need a larger map) and fix the island problems then.

So don't anyone download the map yet -- one way or another there will be a new map (a new variant of this one, or a larger one altogether).

Vlam

Fleeing monkey could be scary... ;)

Don't worry, Agartha is considered as one of the weakest MA faction too, with big potential, but horrible weaknesses.
I just need to run a few more test, then I'll send my pretender.

byrdman57

Vlam

Pretender submitted!

Let the march of the machines golem begin!

Huw the Poo

Erm...would it be too much of a pain if I joined in this one after all?

JasonPratt

Not at all a pain! -- more victims sacrifices players are always appreciated!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 06, 2013, 12:39:34 PM
Erm...would it be too much of a pain if I joined in this one after all?

\0/

yay - pick ermor - i dare ya