The Quotable Groghead

Started by Jarhead0331, September 18, 2020, 01:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way."

- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on December 08, 2020, 07:48:31 PM
"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way."

I can't help but read this to the voice of Anton Chigurh in my head.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 08, 2020, 08:48:12 PM

I can't help but read this to the voice of Anton Chigurh in my head.

Heh, the Judge in BM is quite a similar character to Chigurh so it makes sense.   O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

"It took me a long time, my lifetime so to speak, to realize that the colour of an eye half seen, or the source of some distant sound, are closer to Giudecca in the hell of un­knowing than the existence of God, or the origins of protoplasm, or the existence of self, and even less worthy than these to occupy the wise. It's a bit much, a lifetime, to achieve this consoling conclusion, it doesn't leave you much time to profit by it."

- Samuel Beckett, "First Love"

- MengJiao

al_infierno

"Friends are enemies who have not attacked you yet."

- Skipper the Penguin from the Madagascar cartoon series.  (haven't seen it myself, full disclaimer  ;D  but someone posted this on a quotes thread on another forum and I had to share it here.)

- MengJiao

Gusington

^That one rings a little too true.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

rustyshackleford

Quote from: al_infierno on January 29, 2021, 10:22:53 PM

- Skipper the Penguin from the Madagascar cartoon series.  (haven't seen it myself, full disclaimer  ;D  but someone posted this on a quotes thread on another forum and I had to share it here.)

;D :D That was in a children's cartoon series? Brutal lesson to learn when you're 8 :))

jamus34

Quote from: rustyshackleford on January 29, 2021, 10:28:46 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on January 29, 2021, 10:22:53 PM

;D :D That was in a children's cartoon series? Brutal lesson to learn when you're 8 :))

Watch Watership Down or Grave of the Fireflies; animated movies guaranteed to scar kids
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

"What is it?"
"The uh, stuff that dreams are made of."

- The Maltese Falcon

- MengJiao

al_infierno

Maybe not quotable in the traditional sense, but one of the finest pieces of prose I've ever read.  A description of a Comanche attack against a band of ragtag American filibusters from the novel Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained weddingveil and some in headgear of cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or saber done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.

- MengJiao

al_infierno

"You seem to think peace is a natural state, Siward, and conflict its interruption, but the truth is the exact opposite. Peace is what the sea looks like in a dead calm--a rare and beautiful moment--something impossible--a glimpse of perfection before the wind comes back again. You can no more force peace into existence than you can wander across the surface of the sea stamping the waves flat."

- King Malcolm in the play Dunsinane by David Greig

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

"When people start talking about their bowel movements they are as inexorable as the processes of which they speak."

- William Burroughs, Junky

- MengJiao

Gusington

I am personally affronted by that one 💩

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd