I just want my cat to eat food and drink water

Started by W8taminute, April 18, 2012, 10:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

This past weekend we took our pet cat, her name is Zoe (see picture below of her taken today), to the vet.  We went to the vet because we noticed that she has lost a lot of weight in the past few weeks.  She also has not been eating much and is staying in one room for most of the day.  Zoe is a quiet, gentle, but friendly cat of 15 years old.

The vet took some blood work, an x-ray, and gave her 1000mL of liquid via I.V.  The x-ray showed that her liver, kidney, and spleen are all mis-shapen.  Blood work came back indicating that although her liver levels are not normal, her white blood count is not so high as to be worried about the big C. 

It has been a struggle the past few days to encourage Zoe to eat food and drink her water.  We've got her on an anti-biotic and an appetite stimulator as well as treating her to I.V. infusions at home.  She is showing signs of getting her appetite back. 

It's agonizing to watch a loved one go through this.  I know I'm talking to you about a cat here, but she has been part of our family since she was a baby.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Centurion40

Best of luck.  Hopefully she'll start eating again soon.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Double Deuce

I understand where you are coming from. The wife and I have 2 cats we brought into our marriage almost 15 years ago. Both are a little over 15 and were only a few weeks old when we met. One is active as ever (and still mean as ever), the other is little more than skin or bones but the Vet says she is healthy, just old. She eats good, only one that gets canned food in an attempt to keep her weight up, but the arthritis is really setting in on her. She does get around ok for the most part and can jump as high and as far as ever but you can tell she's in pain by the stiffness in her movements.

Fortunately winter here is over so we are figuring the summer heat will help her with the arthritis but we both know her health will slowly go downhill overall from this point on. We just do our best to keep her comfortable till her time comes.

LongBlade

I hope yours recovers and enjoys many more years with you.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Its painful - Tabitha, our last moggie passed away a year ago, she was 19 years old and her loss hit us hard.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Windigo

It could be that she is loosing her sense of smell and this is aalso reducing her appetite.
Go out and find the foulest smelling brand of canned tuna/cat seafood and see what happens with the offering.

Gussy-poo might be able to recommend a brand...   :o
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Huh.  Maybe try feeding the cat some dog food.  The cat's instinctual contrary nature just might kick-in and it will eat it!
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Zoe looks like a real sweetie. May she recover quickly and fully.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

W8taminute

Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes and the compliments.  So far things seem fine today and is eating some food.  The vet told us to try stage 1 baby food which Zoe seems to like. 

Windi

Our cat seems to still have a keen sense of smell because yesterday and the day before she rejected her normal wet cat food.  We think it's because she picked up the scent of the crushed pills hidden in there.  But just to make sure I will try that test you suggest.

bob

I feel for you and understand what you mean about getting hit hard. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Glad the appetite is recovering.  She sounds like a fighter!  You and Zoe will be in my prayers.  As a lifetime owner of cats, I currently have a gang of three, I know how you must feel.  Hang in there! And my crew sends Zoe their best wishes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

Mrs Bob just saw this thread, and the piccie of Zoe, and said GET WELL SOON.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: W8taminute on April 18, 2012, 02:08:51 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes and the compliments.  So far things seem fine today and is eating some food.  The vet told us to try stage 1 baby food which Zoe seems to like. 

Windi

Our cat seems to still have a keen sense of smell because yesterday and the day before she rejected her normal wet cat food.  We think it's because she picked up the scent of the crushed pills hidden in there.  But just to make sure I will try that test you suggest.

bob

I feel for you and understand what you mean about getting hit hard.

Mackerel - smelly oily fish.

When our cat was down sick it would go for spaghetti in turkey broth. The only problem was after the good life it would sniff at, then try to cover up regular cat food with imaginary dirt. Then take a few steps away and shake it's back leg like it had crap on its foot.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

son_of_montfort

Best wishes W8! I know if anything happens to my boy (a 10 year old Norwegian Forest Cat), I am a mess. He is a special needs cat in that his diet is very restrictive unless we want to give him terrible stomach aches and loose stool. So we have to make sure he eats regularly. But he's a member of the family, so we take care of him!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert