Live landing on a comet!

Started by Barthheart, November 12, 2014, 08:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on November 12, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
This is very cool - but I am a little set back that it was the Germans who pulled it off :/

Better this than invading the Low Countries
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

believe me.
if you landed on Liv Tyler the world has truly ended.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 12, 2014, 09:30:25 PM
believe me.
if you landed on Liv Tyler the world has truly ended.

I'd accept that end.

Gusington

What if mirth took the Low Countries and then Liv? Or Lvov?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I'd go for an anschluss with Liv.

GDS_Starfury

I dont think his gf would like that very much.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on November 12, 2014, 09:24:14 PM
This is very cool - but I am a little set back that it was the Germans who pulled it off :/

Better this than invading the Low Countries

If the Germans tried to invade again this time they would march into the Red Light District and never be seen again.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

the rules there have had a drastic overhaul.

so Ive heard.   ::)

MikeGER

a lot of other European nations had there contribution too, its amazing that it worked (more or less) nevertheless ;-) 

its amazing! that's not X-Rebirth , Elite Dangerous or Kerbal  ...we all witnessed the real deal  8)

race to an object that is 28 light minutes away, not just hit it, but gentle approaching it in a way to swing into an orbit where nucleus gravity let a 100kg object on Earth feels a gravity pull of just 1 Gramm... and then ballistic drop a 'bomb' probe on that irregular rubberduck shaped rotating object of 4x2x2 km with precision to place a hit into a 400m circle. 8)   

unfortunately the lander is not anchored
well, it still feels a gravitational pull of 1gramm , so i think it will stay or gently retouch if it had re-bounced somehow
and was floating

analzing the last press infos that got public available between the lines, i guesstimate it landed in 'a powder snow'-like soft material and is partially submerged ...the harpoons either didn't got triggered (to smooth impact) or fired into powder

consider the whole commet has a density of 0.4 g/cm^3   ...and the landing spot was selected to be smooth surface as far as the pictures allowed an estimate.

yesterday eve the LOS between Rosseta and the lander was interuppted while Rosetta orbit takes it to the other side of the commet. we will have new data packages now while Rosseta has rizen above the lander side again         

bayonetbrant

XKCD has a hilarious animated version of the live landing

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

MetalDog

I especially liked that they thought to include whales in the whole thing.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

^That made me think of the poor falling whale in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe.

MetalDog

My thought exactly.  They included fish an dolphins, too.  Sounds like someone knew what they were doing ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob