Greetings to Fellow Gamers

Started by Wild Bill Wilder, February 20, 2015, 04:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Welcome Wild Bill! Great to have you posting here.

I'll echo what others have said and thank you for your work on some truly great games that have provided me with countless hours of enjoyment and served as gateway into many related hobbies.

You and Robin look like a very happy couple. Congrats!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Wild Bill Wilder

WOW! So this is where you have all been doing your thing! What an impressive site. More impressive is the quality of gamers here. I'm greatly pleased to "see" some familiar faces.

For an old warhorse like me, this is very, very special. I'm a little more lenient so no airs here. We are just comrades in arms, enjoying and recreating history. Let me say that I'm here for you in whatever capacity I can be of service.

Quite a number of you worked so hard to make things easier for me. There are over 1,200 scenarios from seven different gaming systems that I put together over the years, floating around somewhere. Villers Bocage I remember well. I struggled long and hard with that little beauty. I loved fighting it after it was done.

The two real monsters were TET and Desert Storm for Talonsoft. Designing scenarios that covered the entire Tet offensive, or the entire war in Kuwait and Iraq were mind boggling for me. Then there were the MEGA CAMPAIGNS for Matrix, Screaming Eagles being the best of them all.

As you all know, the tactical aspect has always appealed to me the most. The pain of losing one tank, or one squad is so much more personal. One becomes a part of the battle and feels victory and sometimes defeat.

See, you can tell I'm getting old. I reminisce too much. THEY WERE GLORY DAYS for me and many of you had such a part in it. Thank you with all my heart!

BanzaiCat

We do yell at young people to get off our lawns and to get a haircut, so we're not all perfect unfortunately.  ;D

mirth

Thank you, Bill! You are Grog Royalty and it's an honor to have you among us :)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 24, 2015, 09:12:47 PM
We do yell at young people to get off our lawns and to get a haircut, so we're not all perfect unfortunately.  ;D

I feel like I'm going to have to start wearing pants now :P

bayonetbrant

you could go back to wearing a kilt.  at least, what you referred to as a kilt; pretty sure Star just liked you better in drag.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Despite what Star might claim, an  Argyle Speedo is not a kilt.

Sir Slash

I vote we have a special "Wild Bill" Grogs section here. And then torment the shit out of all the other sites about it. O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Welcome Bill, I remember that name from dos era games. It's very nice to have you here.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

Welcome to Grogheads, Wild Bill

(Man, I feel like I'm going to have start actually behaving myself now... :knuppel2:

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

Quote from: Martok on February 25, 2015, 09:55:51 AM
Welcome to Grogheads, Wild Bill

(Man, I feel like I'm going to have start actually behaving myself now... :knuppel2:

Dude, you're the good one in the group.

Martok

^  Yikes.  If so, then we're in real trouble.  :o 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Wild Bill Wilder

Well, well, well. I see everyone is as insane as ever...that's cool. One thing about gamers, we are tight on gaming, but we know how to have fun with each other. And in this crazy fear-ridden world, some joking and laughing are indeed in order.

Guess what, I did a board game variant of ASL board game (anyone remember it...still play it?) on what I call Enduring Freedom 2, Operation Payback. It is a series of engagements assuming that the US, Kurds and Iraqi trained troops decide to take on Isis and Al Qaeda. A three fold thrust from northern Syria, against Fallujah in the south and near Mosul (with the Kurdish Freedom fighters). I design my own counters and I'll see if I can put up a few here. How I wish I had some testers for these scenarios (5 of them). Thoughts?

Wild Bill Wilder

This is a good way to vent some of the frustration many of us feel with the apathetic, sympathetic the Obama administration views Isis and terrorism in general...and I'll say it.."Radical Terrorists"...There, I said it! And I meant it!