Training Shooting - Special Forces v. Gun Nuts

Started by airboy, February 24, 2015, 10:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This is a very interesting article on how to train shooters.  A special forces troop, representative on the US Olympic Shooting Team, decided that civilian competitive shooters and shooter training may be better than some aspects of US military shooting training.

I found it to be an interesting trade-off.  The US military shooter thinks that training should have much more of an element of target identification, and shooting a moving target while moving instead of so much focus on shooting stationary targets at a range.
see: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/top-army-marksman-explains-why-gun-nuts-shoot-better-469f8dfd917f

I cannot tell if the article is on target or not.  Personally, I found shooting at stationary targets to be so easy with a scope from a rest at anything short of very, very long distances that it got boring fast.  Instead, shooting at moving targets (sporting clays with a shotgun, wobble trap, 5 stand, etc....) was far more interesting.  I've also found that shooting live targets improves my accuracy about 30% over normal (hunting).  My buddies tell me that this is a combination of complete focus and reaction shooting while hunting.  You can think on a range - even one with moving targets.  Can't think it out so much with an animal on a hunt.

Since I've never served in the military, I'm interested in the opinions of those who have.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Good article, thx for posting it.

I'm curious to know if people think only elite military, like the subject, should have flexibility in their training to explore their ideas? I expect that if you learn from the best, the chance you will come up with something profound is very small compared to the chance you will make a mess. On the other hand, it is training. You can learn from mistakes. You also need to learn to think for yourself to handle unexpected situations.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 25, 2015, 03:03:58 AM
Good article, thx for posting it.

I'm curious to know if people think only elite military, like the subject, should have flexibility in their training to explore their ideas?

That's about the same thing I was thinking.

To me the most important lesson wasn't that the military could learn from civilians but rather that (to quote from the article:

QuoteHis commanders trust his judgment.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Con

Part of the military training is to try and have muscle memory take place when under fire.  Being under fire is an inherently stressful situation and many studies showed that a high percentage of new to combat recruits did not fire their weapons.  Additionally there is a very different tactical element of working with firearms as part of a team.  I suppose the best way to say it is fundamentals on shooting (range) and then a lot of training on situational aspects.  Otherwise I think its a bit apples to oranges to compare target (even hunting) shooting to a combat situation

Just my two cents

Con

jejo68

Quote from: Con on February 25, 2015, 08:11:09 AM
Part of the military training is to try and have muscle memory take place when under fire.  Being under fire is an inherently stressful situation and many studies showed that a high percentage of new to combat recruits did not fire their weapons.  Additionally there is a very different tactical element of working with firearms as part of a team.  I suppose the best way to say it is fundamentals on shooting (range) and then a lot of training on situational aspects.  Otherwise I think its a bit apples to oranges to compare target (even hunting) shooting to a combat situation

Just my two cents

Con
Havent you seen the new squirrel liberation army. those nasty crittys got mini guns and shoot back at you.

airboy

Just my two cents

Con

Con - nobody disputes that having people shoot back utterly alters the situation.  The question is - in training is it better to have more range time with moving targets, while you are moving, etc...... vs downrange shooting at fixed targets. 

Boggit

Quote from: jejo68 on February 25, 2015, 10:39:52 PM

Just my two cents

Con
Havent you seen the new squirrel liberation army. those nasty crittys got mini guns and shoot back at you.
Those would be pre-2005 Belgian squirrels fed up after years of hunting by Belgians with automatic weapons. They know what they're up against and have developed tactics to deal with it. >:D :o

(The pre-2005 refers to the change in Belgian gun laws - previously you could go hunting with automatic weapons - and many did! Not very sporting though is it?)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat