Main Menu

SpaceX

Started by steve58, April 13, 2015, 03:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

...video feed is live.  ~9 minute countdown.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

This is a launch to the Space Station and afterwards SpaceX will attempt (again) to land the first stage on the barge.  Good luck to them...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

...launch scrubbed with 3:07 to go due to weather  :tickedoff:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

They are going to try again today (4/14). I think it was 4.10pm EST.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

steve58

Weather is 60% "go" for today's Falcon 9 launch attempt, sending Dragon to resupply the International Space Station. Lightning and clouds are still a concern. Liftoff is targeted for 4:10pm ET – live launch webcast begins at 3:55pm.

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

...keeping me fingers crossed.

steve58

...launch webcast is live.  Just listening for a couple minutes, but sounds like a go.

bob48

Watching it now - looking good this time O0

'Clip those corners'

steve58

..anyone know what those two four "rockets" are on the towers on each side of the Falcon 9? 

steve58

...and we have liftoff!  O0

bob48

Quote from: steve58 on April 14, 2015, 03:09:59 PM
..anyone know what those two "rockets" are on the towers on each side of the Falcon 9?

I wondered about that as well.

'Clip those corners'

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bob48 on April 14, 2015, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: steve58 on April 14, 2015, 03:09:59 PM
..anyone know what those two "rockets" are on the towers on each side of the Falcon 9?

I wondered about that as well.

Beacons? Maybe they put out a signal for thrust correction as a wild guess.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

steve58

...apparently they are just Lightning Rods

I suspected thats what they might have been, but they really look like rockets on top of a tower...

steve58

...dang, seems the barge landing was not 100% successful.

The rocket landed on the ship, according to SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, but it was too hard to maintain the integrity of the first stage of the rocket.

http://mashable.com/2015/04/14/spacex-falcon-9-landing-attempt/

steve58

If Scott Manley can do it, why can't SpaceX???   ::)

...and in other news a Canadian news organization (CBC) actually used some of the above video in one of their broadcasts.  "I do have some video, what the simulation will look like." (right around 2:40 mark)

steve58

Here is the video of the barge landing attempt from April 14.  Looked pretty close, but seemed to me to be going a bit fast.