F-35 Can't Fly on Warm Fuel

Started by LongBlade, May 20, 2015, 12:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2015, 11:20:06 AM
Cue Star to tell us it's supposed to be a purely BVR fighter  ::)

There have historically been problems with engaging BVR.  ROE, positive visual ID requirements, etc, causing BVR & low-RCS advantages to be nullified to varying extent and resulting in close-range engagement.

If we were gonna just gonna have some multi-role bomb truck like this, we could've saved a huge amount of money, time, and effort by producing more (updated) F-16s.  The same 'ole reliable kind that ate the F-35's breakfast & lunch, prompting these reports.   Should've continue creating F-22s for the air superiority role.

The biggest problem with the F-35 program is that it's attempting to be everything to everyone.  Carrier do-it-all, VTOL for Marines.. many countries wanting their own details.  It was a damn buggy cost overrun mess before they started coming off the lines.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Im still somewhat surprised they put a gun on it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

After God knows how many hours of Falcon 3 plus lesser of 4, I still love the F16. Why couldn't they have morphed that design into some squarehead looking stealth plane at low cost?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 02, 2015, 09:43:54 PM
After God knows how many hours of Falcon 3 plus lesser of 4, I still love the F16. Why couldn't they have morphed that design into some squarehead looking stealth plane at low cost?

Since the F-35 will primarily be for ground attack (for the USAF at least), the low RCS stealth won't be worth much of a damn when it's toting a bombload anyway.  That's why I've been  ::)

Staggerwing

Why, oh why can't we have nice things?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

OJsDad

Could have built and maintained a bunch of A-10's for the cost of a single squadron on F-35's.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Nefaro on July 02, 2015, 09:47:09 PM

Since the F-35 will primarily be for ground attack (for the USAF at least), the low RCS stealth won't be worth much of a damn when it's toting a bombload anyway.  That's why I've been  ::)

That part is ok. In my simulated missions I always got jumped returning home, when i was low on fuel. Low rcs is good there.

If you need low rcs going in, you need a real bomber, or cruise missiles.

For regular bit of everything in low threat (cleaned) areas, why do you need such an expensive plane?

Nefaro

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 02, 2015, 10:44:53 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 02, 2015, 09:47:09 PM

That part is ok. In my simulated missions I always got jumped returning home, when i was low on fuel. Low rcs is good there.

If you need low rcs going in, you need a real bomber, or cruise missiles.

For regular bit of everything in low threat (cleaned) areas, why do you need such an expensive plane?

For mostly moving mud, they probably should've just invested in proper stealth bombers with sizable internal bays, to retain stealth en route, and built more F-22s for air superiority. 

I wonder if a newer derivative of a smaller B-1, or a larger F-117, would've been cheaper and more reliable as a whole.  Then let the Navy look for their own custom tailored next gen multi-role aircraft that doesn't have to be everything for everyone.

MIGMaster

I wonder if the F-35 will be the US version of the Avro arrow or TSR-2 - a great idea that went sideways from a technical and financial perspective.

Regardless - I think Canada should be looking at the Super Hornet or cheaper alternative - we're not going to be able to afford to purchase and operate the 3 the budget will allow for ;-)

GDS_Starfury

you mean like this:

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Which variant is that? The fuselage looks round from that angle.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing