Main Menu

Photoshop for fun and game design

Started by bayonetbrant, August 24, 2015, 10:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamm

Stick with learning AI GJK, it will be worth it in the end.
If you look at the games out there, probably 90 % are made with AI.
But IMHO, most are very simple and uninspired.  Or what some might call functional  >:D

Once you have a vectored path, or closed path, you can add multiple layers of fills with various effects much like PS.
But the cool thing, when you manipulate it by moving points around, all of the artwork conforms to the new paths.
I'm constantly learning with the program and not close to using it to its full potential.

Agree with Banzai that its not very intuitive.  I still have a lot of wtf moments myself. :)
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on September 02, 2015, 05:46:07 AMTo me, InDesign seems to be a close cousin to Illustrator- much more so than Photoshop.

InDesign was Adobe's attempt to merge the kinds of vector tools found in QuarkXpress into PageMaker.
It was designed to take on Quark and priced based on Adobe's original bundle model rather than Quark's (very expensive) multi-seat license model that made even individual purchases of Quark very expensive.
I probably don't need to tell you who won, eh? ;)

And with that, we can return to the "neat tricks with PhotoShop" intent of this thread.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

BanzaiCat

avrotim

I do all my graphic work in Photoshop.  I have tried Illustrator but can't figure it out...or more precisely I don't have time to figure it out when I have projects that need finishing.

For great patterns/textures, brushes and actions go no further than Deviantart: www.deviantart.com
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

chemkid

hi all! nice thread! thanks a lot!!  :)

for photoshop-users i still can highly recommend 'Blur's Good Brush' by the chinese cg-artist yang xueguo.
his brushes are worth a try and free to use - at least the 4.0 version was free...
later versions are hard to find since his blog vanished some years ago...
(there's v5.1 - in chinese but you're missing nothing if you start playing with 4.0 - it's like an eye-opener for photoshop brush-creation!)

anyhow, have a look! here's an old article from him on cgtalk - back in the day...
(the download link is on the bottom of the second page):

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/tower_of_evil

cheers and enjoy!  O0
chem!

bayonetbrant

PSD map texture settings

Settings for Forest hexes:

56 Spatter brush, 150 pixels, color: R94, G149, B65, single clicks only!, do NOT click-and-drag.

(1) Outer glow: R39, G138, B29, set to linear burn, 30% opacity, 5% noise, precise technique and 5px size

(2) Emboss: Smooth technique, 400% depth (up), 18px size and no soften

Settings for Rough hexes:

60 Chalk brush, 140 pixel, with a 60% flow on the airbrush setting. R135, G122, B78, single clicks only!, do NOT click-and-drag.

(1) Outer glow, R140, G123, B87, normal blend, 70% opacity, 20% noise, softer technique, 1% spread, and 10px size

(2) Inner glow, R97, G91, B43, dissolve blend, 70% opacity, 10% noise, precise technique from edge, 10% choke, 10px spread

(3) Emboss, Smooth technique, 100% depth(up), 7px size, no soften

taijeronv

Could your techinque in PSD be replicated in Illustrator?

I've made my own "forest" brushes in Illustrator but wasn't to satisfied with the outcome. 

bayonetbrant

I don't know if those can be replicated in Illustrator since they're dependent on the way that PSD creates certain pixels.

But I'll confess that I don't know Illustrator enough to say for certain

BanzaiCat

Illustrator is all vector-based. You could make some sharp-looking graphics there, but I think it's way too finnicky and not nearly as user-friendly as Photoshop is.

chemkid

@bayonetbrant - nice idea, working good so far. thank you!

@taijeronv - something like that can also be created in illustrator. just check out the scatter options for newly created brushes,
but beware of a vector overkill! bitty-fricky small vector objects are easily handled as instances (symbols), of course you'll have
sharp and resolution independent images but the printing of these or even rasterizing is hard work for man AND machine!
it's always wise to try and combine both, pixel AND vector, if you'll want/need to stay in illustrator.

@Banzai_Cat - imho, illustrator and photoshop are both very user friendly! true, there are people who prefer one over the other but hey...
i take what's best from different worlds and combine the whole in one or the other - clients and personal work... it really depends.
afaik, it's a sad story - illustrator and photoshop are from different teams inside the same company,
the toolsets that should be the same are different, behaves different and have also different keyboard shortcuts!
so yeah, it's a mess but still, if you're used to both it pays off!!

cheers!

BanzaiCat

chemkid, I think I'm more leaning towards PS since I started my instructional design career heavily invested in it. I can do some basic things in IL but overall it eludes me why the keystrokes aren't the same in both programs. I think there are some similar commands, but there are definitely things that elude me in IL. IL is definitely great for vector drawings, but I find the graphics I make for my training modules have to be done quickly and I rarely open IL these days, it seems.

bayonetbrant