Iranian sailors chase off pirates attacking U.S. ship

Started by 0kult13, May 25, 2012, 01:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

There's been considerable cooperation between US and Iranian navies and sailors regarding open-ocean pirates, and considering the current political climate between the two countries, it's nice to see cooperation at the tactical level against a common foe, regardless of the political machinations higher-up.

I don't think that cooperative behavior among guys at the tactical level is indicative of any thaw in the positions of those in power, given their repeated and continual public statements of mutual non-admiration.

Will such ad-hoc naval cooperation lead to any sort of future political cooperation?  I'm sure it won't directly, but history has demonstrated that repeated exposure to relatively free liberal* western democracy inevitably turns a tide in authoritarian regimes over time.  Just not overnight.  We can only hope.

* "liberal" in the classical sense of "liberty" as opposed to the current quasi-insulting political epithet heard on talk radio
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

0kult13

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 29, 2012, 10:19:18 AM
There's been considerable cooperation between US and Iranian navies and sailors regarding open-ocean pirates, and considering the current political climate between the two countries, it's nice to see cooperation at the tactical level against a common foe, regardless of the political machinations higher-up.

I don't think that cooperative behavior among guys at the tactical level is indicative of any thaw in the positions of those in power, given their repeated and continual public statements of mutual non-admiration.

Will such ad-hoc naval cooperation lead to any sort of future political cooperation?  I'm sure it won't directly, but history has demonstrated that repeated exposure to relatively free liberal* western democracy inevitably turns a tide in authoritarian regimes over time.  Just not overnight.  We can only hope.

* "liberal" in the classical sense of "liberty" as opposed to the current quasi-insulting political epithet heard on talk radio

+1 like