Main Menu

Euro is Doomed

Started by airboy, June 15, 2012, 04:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

The Euro is doomed.  Interest rates on Spanish and Italian bonds are hitting 7%.  At that level, the expense to keep covering the existing debt becomes prohibitive.

The only thing that could save the Euro at this point is if Germany (Denmark and a couple of others) decides to spend all of its treasure bailing out the rest of Europe.  Don't think that is going to happen.

You can only spend way more than your income if someone will loan you money.  When you spend a lot more than you make, you are existing on the forebarance of your creditors.  The public will to bail out lots of countries is not there.

The only thing I could see is if China decided to step in and buy huge amounts of Euro debt.

The US day of doom is also approaching.  The Feds cannot continue to borrow $0.43 of every dollar spent.  Eventually your creditors wise up.

0kult13

Well the Greeks go to the polls vsoon, reports say its neck and neck between the lefist guys who wants to bail from the euro and ton con guys who wont. Either way lots more rioting to come me thinks. If the Greeks leave it could be the start of another round of big falls. As you say Spain Italy on the verge as well.

LongBlade

I agree with you, Airboy, the Euro is doomed. The question is only whether this coming Monday will be the bell tolling or if it will be pushed a little further into the future.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Personally, I think that Germany, France, and the Benelux countries should consider forming a 'Euro-Redoubt' that is firewalled (as best they can) from the rest of the Eurozone. Time to rethink the Open Border idea.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

A few thoughts...

1.  I like Foreign Affairs headline:  "Greece Votes Itself in the Foot"  Didn't read the article, but the headline made me chuckle.  Clever.

2.  A long article from Reuters that starts with the excerpt below.  I'd be curious to hear (a) Europeans' perspectives on what's happening over there right now and how things are feeling on the ground, and (b) Airboy's thoughts on the article, as he's got a better understanding of the arcane aspects of this.  Heck, it's all Greek to me ;)

QuoteWhether the euro lives or dies, the chaotic way Europe has tackled the crisis could undermine the region's geopolitical clout for years to come and leave it at a distinct disadvantage in a rapidly changing world.
With an apparently never-ending series of last-minute summits and telephone calls, Europe's leaders and finance ministers have held the bloc together in the face of growing strains between states, a rising political backlash and market alarm.
But with hindsight, outsiders say each measure proved too little, too late. US officials in particular complain European leaders have either failed to grasp the scale of the problem or proved unwilling to countenance the awkward political decisions necessary to fix it.
As a result, they say, what should have been one of the most stable parts of the world has now become one of the most unpredictable.
At one extreme, the euro area might be about to embark on a journey towards further fiscal and political union as an almost totally unitary "super state". At the other, it could unravel and collapse into an unstable mess of regional rivalry.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

meadbelly

I suspect if I were a european politician, I wouldn't give much truck to any U.S. officials complaining about others' inability to countenance the awkward political decisions to fix massive financial problems.

At a fairly basic level, it's our inclination to insist that others do what we say and not what we do that informs the sentiment behind David Letterman's running "this is why the rest of the world hates us" joke.

(jersey shore, charlie sheen, eurodisney, and hawaiian shirts on overstuffed american tourists don't help a lot either. Which is why I only wear my hawaiian shirts locally. And sometimes in Canada, because I like the idea that windigo might be horrified. ;))

LongBlade

Quote from: meadbelly on June 16, 2012, 04:05:20 PM
I suspect if I were a european politician, I wouldn't give much truck to any U.S. officials complaining about others' inability to countenance the awkward political decisions to fix massive financial problems.

No kidding.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Keunert

Germany lead the Euro rescue team, but their ideas were not shared by some of the bigger other nations.
i guess this is a dilemma based in the whole european union thing: strong economical partnership vs. sovereignity.

a greek friend of mine hoped that europe would leave greece alone and let it crash completely as he thinks the system is unrepairable
fruckeld up.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Mr. Bigglesworth

Yes, the vote has the news all worked into a lather. It doesn't matter. The real debt problem is the same for each country whatever the politicians say, whatever the vote. It's all theatre. The best thing is probably to let the weak countries leave to inflate their own money supply. They will then be competitive again in their pesos. They can win business again. That refers to Italy and Spain too.

0kult13

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 17, 2012, 07:20:14 AM
Yes, the vote has the news all worked into a lather. It doesn't matter. The real debt problem is the same for each country whatever the politicians say, whatever the vote. It's all theatre. The best thing is probably to let the weak countries leave to inflate their own money supply. They will then be competitive again in their pesos. They can win business again. That refers to Italy and Spain too.

100% agree there , Iceland shows that

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304203604577396171007652042.html

"Iceland has a significant advantage over stressed euro-zone countries—a currency that could be devalued. That has turned its trade deficit into a surplus and smoothed its recovery."

meadbelly

A devalued drachma would likely make a heck of an exchange rate with the dollar. And the greek economy sure could use a massive boost in tourism.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I'd visit Greece at 20 cents on the dollar.  8)  Twice even!

GDS_Starfury

^^^ do you know how I know you'r gay?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Greece is one of those countries that you can look at and ask, " exactly what the fuck have you contributed in the last 2000 years?"
really.....
even France has given us wine, cheese and about 4 STD's in the same time frame.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.