>> At Least 14 Dead in Shooting at Batman Premier in Colorado <<

Started by bayonetbrant, July 20, 2012, 05:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: airboy on July 20, 2012, 03:13:53 PM
....Concealed carry could have saved some of the lives - but not all.  This was a pretty challenging situation.  Dark, smoke/tear gas, nut job wearing a vest, in a loud environment where gun shot noises are not unexpected.

Even if someone were carrying concealed it would have taken some time to realize what was happening.  The shot would not have been easy in this environment.  Still, even if the shots hit the vest each hit is like being struck with a hammer.  A vest does not eliminate the laws of physics....

But at least the people in that theater would have had a chance. The way things came down, they were sitting ducks.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

LongBlade

One of the reports I read indicated that concealed weren't allowed in the theater.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Greybriar

Quote from: LongBlade on July 20, 2012, 03:56:24 PM
One of the reports I read indicated that concealed weren't allowed in the theater.

That made it a lot easier for the killer, didn't it? And it sure didn't prevent him from entering the theater fully armed.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth

Do you have a link, LB? I've been looking for that in stuff I've been reading and haven't seen anything yet.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2012, 05:36:10 PM

Do you have a link, LB? I've been looking for that in stuff I've been reading and haven't seen anything yet.

Looks like it came from a rather unbiased source. Doesn't mean it's wrong, but just consider the source: http://www.nationalgunrights.org/exploiting-the-blood-of-innocents/

airboy

I went to that theater's webpage, the corporate webpage, and the webpage of another theater from that chain in Colorado.  None of them had anything about a weapons policy one way or another.

The corporate webpage is pretty identical to another movie chain - carmike cinemas with whom I am very familiar.  I've met their corporate officers and visited Carmike's HQ in Columbus, Georgia.  Carmike's web page also has nothing about a weapons policy one way or another.

My guess is that if they have a weapons policy, it is a sticker on the doors and not on the website.

airboy

The theater was a "gun free zone."

Below is a link to a detailed and (from my degree of training) pretty darn accurate analysis of the tactical shooting situation.  David Weigel has historically been very accurate.  I've emailed him on other gun issues in the past - and he has always been pretty good (even when he was mistaken).

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/07/20/could_an_armed_person_have_stopped_the_aurora_shooting_a_second_opinion_.html

airboy

This was a truly evil situation.

Shooter drops tear gas first.  He is in a position that blocks the aisles in the front (theater seating).  He is wearing a vest.  Very crowded environment.  Dark.  Shooting can be mistaken for a promotion or just another sound effect.  When people realize what happens they panic.

Although I think some lives would have been saved if theater goers had been carrying concealed - a lot of people still would have died in this situation.

In a gun saturated society, letting nuts know where there are "gun free zones" is really asking for trouble.  Better screening for mental illness prior to gun purchase would also be a good thing.

Greybriar

Quote from: airboy on July 20, 2012, 07:24:21 PM

....Better screening for mental illness prior to gun purchase would also be a good thing.

That would mainly cause upright citizens in our society to jump through more hoops. It would not prevent killers from getting guns.

LongBlade

Quote from: Greybriar on July 20, 2012, 10:52:09 PM
Quote from: airboy on July 20, 2012, 07:24:21 PM

....Better screening for mental illness prior to gun purchase would also be a good thing.

That would mainly cause upright citizens in our society to jump through more hoops. It would not prevent killers from getting guns.

My money is on some warning signs that folks around him missed/ignored.

MikeGER

...saw this comin ::)  ... you just gotta luv The Internet  :o

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Keunert

is there a death penalty in this state? or what kind of punishment will he have to face?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on July 21, 2012, 03:54:15 PM
is there a death penalty in this state? or what kind of punishment will he have to face?

If he's truly mentally ill then he won't face a death penalty, if one exists (it's out west, likely they have one...but I haven't googled to check).

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd