Main Menu

Long time delayed hello

Started by Telemecus, September 11, 2019, 06:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telemecus

Shamefully for me I have read the forums for a while but only recently decided I should be contributing too. So time to say hello properly.

I have a very long passion for military history inherited from my father as a kid. This extended into board games such as Avalon Hill. But after a long break with real life I was brought back to the idea of looking at wargames, this time on a computer by watching the BBC series Time Commanders which used the Total War engine to depict historical battles. I ended up spending an insane number of hours playing Gary Grigsby games - and am known on  for answering questions, AARs, organising co-op side games and so on for the games. And am now having fun on a number of projects related to wargaming without actually playing any!  :)

When I first heard of Grogheads I knew straight away just from the name that that would be the description of a place for people like me. And I regret having lazily just used forums from the developers of the software where I think they are better based independently. So I have resolved to spend a lot more time in future in Grogheads!

bobarossa

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

Great to have you with us officially Telemecus. I too lurked long before coming out of the shadows before I learned, with this crowd, it's better to be in the light.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MikeGER

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Telemecus on September 11, 2019, 06:07:38 PM
...I ended up spending an insane number of hours playing Gary Grigsby games - and am known on  for answering questions, AARs, organising co-op side games and so on for the games. And am now having fun on a number of projects related to wargaming without actually playing any!  :)

Love Gary Grigsby stuff...especially the hard core ones: War in the East, War in the West, Eagle Day / Bombing the Reich and War in the Pacific AE. So would love to see these in discussions...maybe an organized co-op game?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Telemecus

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 12, 2019, 08:46:20 AM
Love Gary Grigsby stuff...especially the hard core ones: War in the East, War in the West, Eagle Day / Bombing the Reich and War in the Pacific AE. So would love to see these in discussions...maybe an organized co-op game?

It is funny you mention the co-op game. I was a leader of one side in a co-op side game that lasted two years and am still involved in another although with less time commitment needed. They turned into amazing games, but also huge beasts to run. The drop out in Gary Grigsby game is large, so many solo players never get to play a mid or late turn campaign of the game because their opponent leaves. At least with the coop games someone just covers until a replacements was found. In the end we had over twenty players over two years come and go, and in one case a co-op game ended with no one in the teams from the originally joiners.

Even though the games sound superficially like they can be run by teams - for example war in the East can have a North commander, Centre commander and South commander for each army group - this is actually misleading. There are so many interlinkages that we actually made a team protocol to manage how the team could overcome this. Indeed for the last two years I have spent more time managing teams to enable them to play a co-op side than actually pushing units through hexes and pressing attack. I could write long articles about it now. And might well bore grogheads to death with a few here ....  :o

Beria

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I think the Decisive Campaigns engine would do co-op better. DC1 was even designed explicitly for co-op (up to 9 players if I recall correctly! -- 6 Nazi, 3 Polish.) The others would have to pass saves around but especially for DC:Barbie, the borders between the fronts/groups while permeable (moreso for the Soviets) are practically rather stable without a lot of combo action from units assigned to different sectors.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!