[Dominions 5] Grogs4way (in progress)

Started by W8taminute, February 27, 2020, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMeInTeam

I had ordered my army back, not to dodge yours but because I needed a lot of items to supply it.  I'm going for a double throne push, but if you want to go AI that's fine too.  I want to see end game score graphs.

Soul slay is an MR check spell, but nothing is ever completely immune via MR (some things that lack souls are immune though).  It's one of a few ways to just give a middle finger to thugs/supercombatants.  Probably the strongest spells for that purpose are the banishment spells in blood 9 (infernal prison and the water version).  Both of these have no MR check, no resist.  Just go to hell (literally), and then appear back after like a year in a random province (which can be water), but only it survives numerous astral horrors attacking it first.  And of course if it's a land unit that pops out in the water, it STILL dies.  Pretty much ends SCs as a viable tactic, but blood 9 takes ages to research and few nations get the paths naturally.

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

If anyone's interested in getting a new game going, I think I've learned enough about Dom that I feel confident getting my ass handed to me by real people online.   8)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

I might be interested. We have a real mix of MP  experience and competence here. There are several players that make me feel inadequate. They make great teachers. My problem is that I am a wargamer and my ignorance of the magic system's possibilities has proven catastrophic more than once. Great stuff! I have some real world issues going on that slow me down, but I might be up for a game, particularly if we can get 5+.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TheMeInTeam

I'd be interested in another.  I might be able to convince my friend this time, but can't make any promises regarding that.

Ajidica

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on May 02, 2020, 02:27:39 PM
Game is officially concluded, here are the score graphs:

- https://i.imgur.com/dmCsaDV.jpg
- https://i.imgur.com/NKZEOPh.jpg
- https://i.imgur.com/0q2OclL.jpg
- https://i.imgur.com/Ni8fg8N.jpg
- https://i.imgur.com/ErAsqaS.jpg
- https://i.imgur.com/ZJadAgJ.jpg
- https://i.imgur.com/6ezzCCE.jpg
Thanks for the score graphs! Looks like they confirm my suspicions about the game - I was slow on forts and site searching which really hurt me long term.

I'm definitely down for a new game. Might need to play a bless faction this time around as I've played a lot of scales builds lately. (Don't worry, I'm not going to play Ashdod. You all are safe from memeblessed Anakites!)

solops

"Memblessed Anakites"... another thing I am clueless about :)

W8taminute

Very interesting endgame graphs.  I'm pleased to see my research kept up with the crowd for a while before I fell behind.  There is a point on the graph that I can attribute to my switching from recruiting research monkeys to trying to assemble battle mages.  I never was able to get forts up and running fast enough due to my pretender god dying on turn one in a foolish land grab attempt. 

That was a great game and well played by all.  We have a good group of guys here each with varying degrees of knowledge of the game.  I think we all learned something here.  I'm up for another game and I'm glad to see al_infierno expressing interest in joining.  Should be good.

Let me know who wants to start another game and I'll host.  For now I'm declaring this current game concluded on llamaserver.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Ajidica

Quote from: solops on May 03, 2020, 03:53:06 PM
"Memblessed Anakites"... another thing I am clueless about :)
A memebless is a term used for when a player goes all in on the bless trashing all their scales, relying on the strength of their sacreds to make their early game position so strong it balances out their terrible economy. An example for Ashdod would be (in the old days before it was changed in a patch) going Quickness, Fire and Shock Resistance, and Blood Bond. Of course, even that has nothing on the Dom4 days where a pretender didn't need to be incarnate for the big blesses, so you would often have Vanjarls packing Blood Bond, Regenerate, and Reinvigoration with passable scales.

As far as era, I'm been practicing for MA, but I'm flexible. I'll put out my nation picks now for each era.

EA: Lanka
MA: Mictlan
LA: I'm less familiar with this age, But Man, Ulm, Marignon, or Atlantis.

al_infierno

I also mainly play MA, but I'm up for whatever era.

Here's my latest pick for each era (5/5/2020):

EA: C'Tis
MA: C'Tis
LA: C'Tis
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

TOTALLY won't be a meme bless on Mictlan :D.

My pick will somewhat depend on map played.  If we're doing a random map or something I might pick a water nation, but water nations are outright broken on Biddyn for example (as in, they can spawn 2 provinces from multiple opposing capitals and have no real expansion options).

Maybe I'll do R'lyeh.  Though if we go LA they're a cancer nation and something else might be better.

solops

W8taminute

I'm up for another MA game.  Not sure who I'll pick this time.  Need to think about it.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk