[Dominions 5] Grogspocalypse Now! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, May 06, 2020, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Thanks for the heads up Solops!
However I am still busy with the Civ6, FoG Empires and Battletech games.
Cannot commit to Dom 5.
Will gladly join after one of these games is done, though.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Myrmidon

OK, slap me down for MA Sceleria.

Thanks to everyone for the input. Now it's time to get some practice in with some Pretender builds!

al_infierno

Begun, the skellington war has.   :knuppel2:

BTW, if you're relatively new to Dom 5 like myself, take a look at this guide - it'll help give you ideas for how to build your pretender.  https://gameplay.tips/guides/6661-dominions-5.html
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

OK, we have six players, possibly seven (someone said they had a friend?). I think we need a bigger map. Biddyn is going to be very crowded with six. I am not a fan of rush type games. And it would require a really different type of pretender. How do we get a bigger map? I have no clue. Peliwyr? Gamble on a random map? I'll look around for something. I suggest we all do. The Llamaserver game set-up has a lot of choices like Twittermap and Low_Diplo9 that might do. But not many of them are downloadable.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

I have been playing around with one of the third party map makers. In some ways it is inferior to the one included in the game, but it can guarantee no horrible starting positions. I would need to know two things: about how many provinces per player we collectively want and what, if any, special starting conditions a nation should have, i.e. Agartha needs a cave. I prefer 20+ provinces per player. Some people like more. Many like less. I can make a map, post the pic here and see what you all think. It may work out. It may not. Too bad some of us are not hard-core modders.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

That sounds like a good idea to me.  I generally do at least 15-20 provinces per player, and I don't think C'Tis has any special needs for their start.  (Lore-wise, they usually start in a swamp, but I don't think it's necessary for their capital recruitment etc.)

Feel free to post some maps here.  When I'm done with work, I'll try out some of the third-party map generators as well.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Here is a quick, down and dirty sample. The disadvantage is that everyone will see the starting locations of nations and thrones. That is one big advantage the Dom5 map generator has. It does rivers better, too.

solops

I just saw a cool map on the Steam Workshop called Dragon Pass 2 that might do. I am giving it a trial run.
Later - very nice looking, but I find it difficult to orient myself. There are no borders drawn.

al_infierno

Dragon Pass does look cool, but very confusing.  Maybe I could get used to playing without borders, but eh...

I like the look of that map you posted.  I assume it wraps around both ways (East+West, North+South)?  Personally I'm not miffed about having the starting zones/thrones revealed, since we don't necessarily know who will start where (with the exception of Agartha and C'Tis of course)

- MengJiao

solops

I think we can do better than the sample I posted. Everyone needs to get their requirements and recommendations in. There may be a Better Idea out there.

Ajidica

Thanks for putting in the work solops!
As far as maps goes, my thoughts are:

1. I would make sure you know how to upload it into Llamaserver before putting a lot of work into it. I know W8taminute and I in our 1v1 games found that a stumbling block.
2. If we are up to 6 players, I believe the other map that ships with the game works for that number. (Peliwyr, I think). Already comes with caves and generally balanced start positions. Easier than
3. I would prefer to keep provinces per player in the 15-20 range. I prefer slightly smaller and faster games that gets into fighting other players, as opposed to fighting independents for a long period of time. 15-20 also ensures that a single bad expansion won't screw you, as the difference between 12 and 15 provinces is not as big as the difference between 7 and 10.  At the same time, it keeps things moving fast.

Myrmidon

I'm a sucker for a gorgeous map, and man, the Dragon Pass map looks incredible.  I'd go for that in a heartbeat, but it doesn't appear to wrap-around at all, so I could understand if that was a concern.

Peliwyr is an ideal multiplayer map at 129 provinces, and full wraparound.

My vote would be Dragon Pass for looks, Peliwyr for practicality.  I'm up for a generated map if that's what everyone wants.

solops

I can go for Peliwyr. I am going to try to learn the map generators and editors. This situation is bound to come up again. And I would still like to know what special starting terrain is needed for each of your races, even if we use Peliwyr. I think making a library of such data will be useful over time.

Ajidica

solops

Quote from: Ajidica on May 11, 2020, 09:32:39 PM
All that information is contained within the game modfiles.
http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/modmanual.html#name-era-general

Oh!  Errr....ummmm....(shuffle)....I obviously have a lot to learn