Main Menu

oculus quest 2

Started by CptHowdy, October 04, 2020, 07:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptHowdy

most of the threads here are about a year old now so time for a new one! i finally have a computer that can handle VR gaming so wondering if anyone has the oculus quest 2 yet or has heard from people who do own it? when i search for reviews they all tell me the newest oculus is the next great thing but we all know reviews are bought and paid for. i do not need full room VR and i wear glasses since im nearsighted so shouldnt have to wear them if i have something a few inches from my eyes! any input is appreciated. thanks!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 04, 2020, 07:24:07 PM
most of the threads here are about a year old now so time for a new one! i finally have a computer that can handle VR gaming so wondering if anyone has the oculus quest 2 yet or has heard from people who do own it? when i search for reviews they all tell me the newest oculus is the next great thing but we all know reviews are bought and paid for. i do not need full room VR and i wear glasses since im nearsighted so shouldnt have to wear them if i have something a few inches from my eyes! any input is appreciated. thanks!

If you do not have an earlier generation oculus and this will be your first headset, its definitely a good entry level option. Remember, it does not need a PC to run games. It is a totally self contained system. However, in order to get PC level fidelity, you will need to purchase the extra cable that connects it to the PC, and at least initially, there are some specs that even connected to the PC, the headset will not be able to take advantage of. I think over all the Rift-S is still a better entry level system, but it has been discontinued so I can't recommend getting it.

One thing that really turned me off of the Quest 2 is that it will require you to be logged into a your facebook account to run it. That is just absurd, because you know facebook is just going to be collecting all kinds of data about what you are doing with your headset.

If you're really looking for the best jack of all trades, and you have some money to burn, then the best choice is really the Valve Index.

I've pre-ordered the Reverb G2 for flight simming, which is really the first true second generation headset. Outside of a relatively limited FOV, its going to blow everything out of the water in terms of resolution and clarity, and its very affordable at $599. My pre-order ships in early November. can't wait!

If you don't mind considering a gently used headset, I'll consider parting with my HTC Vive or my HP Reverb G1. Both are exceptional.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CptHowdy

what made you go with reverb and not the index? price?

and i probably wont go with the oculus just because of the facebook requirement.

SirAndrewD

I bought the Index over the Quest 2. 

I was torn on both but kept reading that the Index was much better for PC gaming and the Quest was more for free form untethered VR. 

I felt the Index was a lot more in line with how I game. 

Of course now I've got to wait a bazillion years for it to get delivered.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 04, 2020, 08:20:00 PM
what made you go with reverb and not the index? price?

and i probably wont go with the oculus just because of the facebook requirement.

I went with the reverb G2 for its unparalleled resolution. It has ultra sharp visuals with 2160 x 2160 LCD panels per eye and full RGB stripe. That is 9.3 million pixels, which is 2.5x more pixels than Oculus Rift S. Nothing really comes close. This is especially significant for flight simming since it will make reading gauges and dials in the cockpit much more natural and clear.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CptHowdy

think i will go with the reverb g2 as my first foray into the VR world. might get it in time for christmas if i order now!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 05, 2020, 12:19:00 AM
think i will go with the reverb g2 as my first foray into the VR world. might get it in time for christmas if i order now!

What kind of games do you plan on playing mostly? If it's mostly sims like DCS, IL2, etc. it's a good decision, but if you plan on doing any room scale, FPS, etc, then there are some other options that are worth looking at.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I would be remiss now not to include a VR set in my upgrade. Do these new sets plug into USB ports or are they connected in some other way?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on October 05, 2020, 08:00:02 AM
I would be remiss now not to include a VR set in my upgrade. Do these new sets plug into USB ports or are they connected in some other way?

Most of them are either HDMI or display port with a USB, but there is some variation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CptHowdy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2020, 07:06:02 AM

What kind of games do you plan on playing mostly? If it's mostly sims like DCS, IL2, etc. it's a good decision, but if you plan on doing any room scale, FPS, etc, then there are some other options that are worth looking at.
Nothing room scale and most likely no fps. It would be for race sims like iracing or flight sims.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 05, 2020, 10:06:03 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2020, 07:06:02 AM

Nothing room scale and most likely no fps. It would be for race sims like iracing or flight sims.

Then the Reverb G2 should absolutely be at the top of your list. I've much preferred the G1 over the Vive and the Rift-S for flight simming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ubercat

Jarhead, what would you recommend for room scale and shooters?

I'm sort of in a quandary. I got into VR last year by pre-ordering the Vive Cosmos; the latest and greatest system! (::)) I thought I'd be rewarded for my patience in waiting rather than jumping into the first generation of VR. I had some fun with it but wasn't blown away as I'd hoped. The tether linking my head to the PC was especially distracting. Also, hearing constantly about how badly HTC had dropped the ball with the Cosmos was very demoralizing.

I decided to wait for the coming upgrade kits that would enable cordless play and outside-in tracking with towers (to fix the abysmal inside-out tracking of the headset). The prices for upgrading are outrageous when stacked with the already high price that I paid.

I don't know if I should just go with a different rig entirely. The problem is that no one system does everything great. I'd pay a premium for a VR setup that had the best of everything. Every system seems to have at least one thing that is lacking when compared to others. Resolution, FoV etc.

Anyhow, as I said, I'd be mostly into room scale and FPS. I'm not into racing and after flying for real I'm not interested in flight sims. My best friend/flight instructor thought a PC sim would be a good way to practice on the cheap. I bought MS Flight Sim '98 and we took it for a spin. Even he couldn't manage a simple traffic pattern with it.  :DD
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on October 05, 2020, 05:05:56 PM
Jarhead, what would you recommend for room scale and shooters?

I'm sort of in a quandary. I got into VR last year by pre-ordering the Vive Cosmos; the latest and greatest system! (::)) I thought I'd be rewarded for my patience in waiting rather than jumping into the first generation of VR. I had some fun with it but wasn't blown away as I'd hoped. The tether linking my head to the PC was especially distracting. Also, hearing constantly about how badly HTC had dropped the ball with the Cosmos was very demoralizing.

I decided to wait for the coming upgrade kits that would enable cordless play and outside-in tracking with towers (to fix the abysmal inside-out tracking of the headset). The prices for upgrading are outrageous when stacked with the already high price that I paid.

I don't know if I should just go with a different rig entirely. The problem is that no one system does everything great. I'd pay a premium for a VR setup that had the best of everything. Every system seems to have at least one thing that is lacking when compared to others. Resolution, FoV etc.

Anyhow, as I said, I'd be mostly into room scale and FPS. I'm not into racing and after flying for real I'm not interested in flight sims. My best friend/flight instructor thought a PC sim would be a good way to practice on the cheap. I bought MS Flight Sim '98 and we took it for a spin. Even he couldn't manage a simple traffic pattern with it.  :DD

Although I do not have one, the general consensus on the street is that the Valve Index is the best all around headset. Like you said, every headset seems to excel in one thing above all the others, but the Index seems to overall do everything well. In addition, the Index comes with the Index controllers, which for me, seem to offer the best VR controller experience, offering independent finger tracking.

There are going to be downsides though, so you really just need to research them all and find out what is most important to you. For me, it is resolution and clarity that is most important, with FOV being a close second. As a result, the Reverb G1 and now the G2 are no brainers. But I'm happy that I have a Rift-S running on my back up rig because I do prefer it over the Reverb for room scale gaming...better FOV and better controllers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I picked up a Quest 2 today on impulse. Figured it might be nice to be able to VR game anywhere in the house. I also ordered the PC Link cable so I can also run it from the PC, in which case it should be a little better than the Rift-S. I'll let you guys know how it compares to my other headsets.

In the meantime, I really can't wait for my G2 to ship. I should get it in the first run sometime in November.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog