Main Menu

HP Reverb G2

Started by Yskonyn, October 18, 2020, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Finally have DCS running comfortably enough.

I can even get away with 2x MSAA to get rid of the jaggies.
Singleplayer it retains 45 fps with Motion Smoothing enabled. Did not try multiplayer yet.
No microstuttering anymore.

Used the video above.

Additionally running PD 0.8 in game and SteamVR 100% res slider (which is about 1.4 SS) which, from my calculation makes the game run on 0.8 x 0.8 x 1.4 res = 90% res.

With DCS's pipeline so unoptimized Steam Super Sampling actually does a much better job sharpening the image for much less performance debt.
Some users are testing PD 0.5 with 500% res slider in Steam. I tried it as well, but image quality suffers in the G2 if I do this.
PD 0.8 however, doesn't really look much worse than 1.0 but gains me some FPS consistency.
Where I had to reduce the Steam resolution slider to native G2 res without SS (About 48%) to get any decent performance, I can now leave it at 100%.

Try it out !

P.S. this is on a GTX 1080 (non-Ti)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

Where did everybody buy their G2's?

I just got my new rig set up and went to HP's website to make the purchase and I can't complete the sale. The site tells me that there can't be any special characters in my shipping address. Well, when I enter my address, either by autofill or manually typing everything, it automatically adds the four digit extension to my zip code after a hyphen. I can't remove the hyphen because they just put it right back. Then I can't complete the purchase ... because there can't be special characters in my shipping address! That hyphen is the only special character I see anywhere.

Idiots.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on March 29, 2021, 04:33:12 PM
Where did everybody buy their G2's?

I just got my new rig set up and went to HP's website to make the purchase and I can't complete the sale. The site tells me that there can't be any special characters in my shipping address. Well, when I enter my address, either by autofill or manually typing everything, it automatically adds the four digit extension to my zip code after a hyphen. I can't remove the hyphen because they just put it right back. Then I can't complete the purchase ... because there can't be special characters in my shipping address! That hyphen is the only special character I see anywhere.

Idiots.

I got mine from Connection, which I believe is HP's direct distributor.

That is a really irritating issue. Give them a call if you can't get it sorted out on the web.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ubercat

Just bought through Connection. Thanks for the tip.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

After another bumpy start, the new rig seems to be running smoothly now. I've installed DCS World, my modules, all my peripherals and have most of settings keyed in for the F-18. It was crazy how long it took to go through everything again from scratch. I have like 10 peripheral devices that I use for DCS...setting them all up at once? Not fun.

In any event, since this is an AMD system with a Radeon GPU I'm pretty lost in knowing how to best configure the Radeon software settings for best look and performance. The G2 looks great and the cockpit gauges and dials look fantastic. With the way I have it set up, it is noticeably more clear and vibrant. Gauges, dials and panels look awesome. I'm not sure why its such a noticeable step up from my settings with the 2080ti.

There is one issue though...seems to be a slight jagged/shimmering effect on the edges of some textures. Anybody know what might be causing this and what settings to tweak to reduce it? But for this slight distraction, it would look damn near perfect.

If the system stays stable and doesn't crap out on me again, she's definitely going to be a keeper.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Good news, JH!
Its hard to tell without seeing it, but you could look for any Transparency Multisampling setting in Radeon control panel. Turn it off and see it that cures it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I came across some random video on YouTube and I wasn't expecting much from it. One thing the guy mentioned to do was to force DX11 in the windows mixed reality steamVR settings. I do not recall seeing anyone else suggest that. At 1.1 PD and pretty much max settings, it really cooks. Extremely smooth in flight. I think the force DX11 setting made a difference. Pretty happy with my settings right now. Probably need a little more tweaking, but very good as is.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ubercat

I hooked up my G2 yesterday and the PC doesn't seem to recognize it at all. The power light on the headset is dark and I know that the cable itself has power because the light on its little box is lit.

I'm not sure that I have the connector that actually goes into the headset itself correctly attached. The orifice (sorry) that it goes into is so long and narrow that I can't tell if it's completely inserted. Should there be an audible snap when it's properly attached? I'm afraid to damage anything by pushing too hard.

- Thomas Sowell

Ubercat

Nobody who owns an HP Reverb G2 knows if the cable that hooks into the head piece should have an audible snap when it goes in properly? There isn't any tactile or audible feedback to indicate that I've inserted it correctly. As it stands, I don't know if it's not in properly or if there's a software issue.

Bueller? ... Bueller?

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

I don't remember if it makes an audible "click" or not. Why don't you try to take it out and re-seat it to make sure? You should be able to tell if it is in all the way, just like any other plug and if it is in right, you should have no issue getting the lens cover back in place. Are you sure you have all the cables connected to your PC properly? Both the display port and the USB 3.0 have to be plugged in. I'm assuming if your rig is not detecting the headset, it is a connection issue of one kind or another.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ubercat

I've pulled it out and put it back in many times. I don't have any problem getting the lens cover back on.

I've connected everything there is to connect. I know that there's power because the power light on the power cord is lit, though it's not lit on the headset itself, which is why I question whether the damn connector is even in properly. I've pushed it about as hard as I dare without risking breaking something.

I'm experimenting now with plugging the USB 3.0 into different spots. Hopefully that will bear fruit.

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Do you have windows mixed reality installed?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ubercat

Yeah, that and Google Earth on Steam both tell me to plug in my headset when I start to run them. I can't plug it in anymore than it already is.

- Thomas Sowell

Ubercat

Watching a video from MRTV on YouTube. He mentioned having trouble connecting the headset and a number of commenters have had issues as well. Even knowing that I can't seem to get a response from the headset.

- Thomas Sowell

CptHowdy

i had to use the usb adapter that came with the headset. for whatever reason it wouldnt work without it.