Voting Today in the USA

Started by airboy, November 03, 2020, 12:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

** This is a description of your experience, not intended for candidate plugs."

Very heavy turnout at my voting location, the biggest box in my county in Alabama.  We waited in a roughly quarter of a mile line for 25 minutes before voting.  Fortunately, it was a beautiful day.

Almost everyone wore a mask, but it was a much less than a "social distance" line.

In Alabama we have everything you need for a fast, secure vote.  We use paper ballots.  You bubble in the candidate or the yes/no on amendments like taking a a multiple choice test.  Ordinary pens work on the ballots.

They check your ID, hand you a ballot, you bubble in your choice, it gets read by a scanner with the paper ballots stored in a container.  Took me about 4 minutes total to vote - but I had read the 4 constitutional amendments before arriving.

The high point was getting to vote for "Twinkle" for Public Service Commission.  Unfortunately, Young Boozer served two terms as State Treasurer and retired from politics.  Voting for Boozer somehow reminded me of friends both here and elsewhere.

Windigo

Quote from: airboy on November 03, 2020, 12:09:15 PM
  Voting for Boozer somehow reminded me of friends both here and elsewhere.

LOL... good one AB!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

I'm waiting later to vote. The Wife went @ 630 this morning and had to wait for an hour. She passed by our polling place (local church) @ about 1230 this afternoon and said it was empty then, but I have to work until tonight. Polls here close at 9pm...maybe I'll even go after dinner, which goes against all my instincts.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Labbug

The wife and I went to vote about 11:30 am.  People were wearing masks.  A fairly constant flow of people wanting to vote but no lines or waiting.  Outside a couple asked me to take their picture.  I think it was their first time voting in a U.S. election.

solops

My wife and I voted early, a week ago, wearing our masks. No lines. The light stream of people all had masks.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

While we wait for the results, I thought this might interest the Groggies.  The first ever electoral map from 1880.  Apparently the Red Vs. Blue motif is a whole lot older than I thought, with red being dems and blue being republicans back then.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I voted last night in under five minutes...walked in, done, walked out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Was that because you were wearing that hockey mask out in public again? Actually.... good idea.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Honestly I did think something was wrong at first.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

What I've found out in Alabama was the turnout was extremely heavy when the polls opened, and the lines gradually got shorter as the day progressed.  Relatively few people came in the last couple of hours.  So Gus's experience is not unique.