Dropfleet and Dropzone Commander

Started by Jarhead0331, November 16, 2020, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anybody around here have any experience with these games by TTCombat? I saw something about them in passing on facebook and they sound interesting.

My threshold question is can they be played solitaire?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

I haven't played Dropzone but I did try Dropfleet a couple of times at a local miniatures group.  It was a pretty fun game.  Rules were fairly light and there was a lot of randomness between the card activation system and the bucket of dice combat mechanics.  I liked that the scenarios were objective based and I thought the design being based on orbital battles was a neat twist on space combat games.  Movement is pretty simple and fast but combat can bog down a bit as you have to take into account the stealth rating of your potential target (it changes depending on their speed/energy allocation), the amount of power assigned to your weapon, your speed, and (I think, your sensor setup).  Then if you do manage a hit, some weapons do breakthrough damage which can take a bit to calculate.  It reminds me a bit of the detailed interior damage modelling used by games like Starfleet Battles/Federation Commander, Battletech, and Car Wars but it's nowhere near as detailed.  I also liked that the different factions seemed quite unique and each had their own special rules and abilities.

The downsides of the system that I see (at least from my part of the world) are that there doesn't seem to be much of a player base; not sure about availability of the minis as I never see them in any of my local game stores (used to see them in the discount bins quite a bit), and that (at least in the scenarios I played) you needed to have a LOT of minis to field a fleet.  Painting all those ships can be a bit of a chore.

I don't know if there are any AI bot rules for solo play.  I guess you could play it solo if you wanted to but from what I saw of it, you'd basically be playing both sides.

Dropzone Commander looks pretty cool but I've never seen it being played at any of the game events I attend.

Jarhead0331

Yeah. It sounds really cool. Would love to see a PC version of both games combined.

Thanks for the feedback.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18