Field of Glory - Medieval Competition

Started by Boggit, January 05, 2021, 11:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Hi all,

Paolo at Slitherine has kindly agreed to sponsor a FOG - Medieval competition to start on 4th February when the game is officially released.

If you're interested, let me know on this thread.

I intend to run this as a league competition.

When I have the numbers for the competition I will contact Paolo and arrange for you to get your Steam codes to participate.

BTW, I have a preview copy of the game and I can honestly say that the graphics are really NICE. The game mechanics are very similar to FoG 2 and is a very solid game.

This should be a lot of fun. O0

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Yskonyn

Will this be a DLC to FoG2 or a complete separate game ?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 06, 2021, 04:00:02 AM
Will this be a DLC to FoG2 or a complete separate game ?

Stand alone and dye out in early feb

nelmsm

Bardolph

What sort of competition? How many games are we talking? Time frame? I'm guessing it would be using the PBEM++ thing?
As a long time DBA and DBM and HoTT player I like FoG II and am certainly interested in FoG Medieval.
I'm interested but want to make sure I can do it.

Boggit

Quote from: Bardolph on January 06, 2021, 11:56:37 PM
What sort of competition? How many games are we talking? Time frame? I'm guessing it would be using the PBEM++ thing?
As a long time DBA and DBM and HoTT player I like FoG II and am certainly interested in FoG Medieval.
If you've played FOG2 you will have no problem at all. The mechanics are virtually the same as far as I can tell.

I have only just started recruiting to the competition, but I think this will be done on a league basis if we get enough players. 0 points for a loss, 1 for a draw and 2 for a Win.

Are you in?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Tripoli

I'm in, but you won't need to supply a Steam key.  I'll be purchasing it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Bardolph

Quote from: Boggit on January 07, 2021, 12:43:14 AM
Quote from: Bardolph on January 06, 2021, 11:56:37 PM
If you've played FOG2 you will have no problem at all. The mechanics are virtually the same as far as I can tell.

I have only just started recruiting to the competition, but I think this will be done on a league basis if we get enough players. 0 points for a loss, 1 for a draw and 2 for a Win.

Are you in?

I'll give it a shot. I've played FoG II some, but make no claim to any great skill at it lol!
Haven't tried it vs human opponents yet so that should be interesting.
Cry Hammock! And let loose the clogs of war!

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Boggit

I'll close off recruitment on 3rd and ask Paolo for your copies. I'll then set up pairings.

I remember playing a Slitherine FoG competition where everyone used the same army of their choice throughout the league. Is that something you'd enjoy, or to select a different army each time you play a new opponent?

Bardolph

I guess if we can choose each time we'll get to see more of the game and possibly more interesting or unusual matchups ;)

Either way works for me, really.

Thanks again for setting things up.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Bardolph on February 01, 2021, 12:35:38 AM
I guess if we can choose each time we'll get to see more of the game and possibly more interesting or unusual matchups ;)

Either way works for me, really.

Thanks again for setting things up.

I agree with Bardolph - choice is preferable.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Tripoli

Quote from: Boggit on January 31, 2021, 10:41:28 PM
I'll close off recruitment on 3rd and ask Paolo for your copies. I'll then set up pairings.

I remember playing a Slitherine FoG competition where everyone used the same army of their choice throughout the league. Is that something you'd enjoy, or to select a different army each time you play a new opponent?

Just a reminder, I will be purchasing my copy, so don't get a free one for me.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Yskonyn

How quickly should turns be played? I am very much interested, but I don't want to stall.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."