Main Menu

UFOs

Started by solops, May 16, 2021, 10:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Multi-medium craft...not sure whether to be terrified or...more terrified.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

I have always figured that these type of craft would be easy to make once you had good superconductors and a massively overpowered but tiny power supply (neither of which we have...as far as we know). They would allow craft to manipulate the planet's magnetic field for the kind of performance seen. I cannot figure how any organic being could travel inside said object and survive. Maybe these are terrestrially sourced, unmanned craft.

P.S. they need some kick-ass heat shielding, too. There used to be a lot of interesting papers on superconductors in Scientific American. Its been years since I subscribed.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

Watching that video made me more terrified. 80,000 feet per second straight into the ocean and then disappeared??? WTF

Their silence is also very unnerving. My gut tells me they see us like polliwogs in a pool of water. Whoever 'they' are.

With all of these new recorded sightings I wonder if we are on the cusp of some sort of Independence Day-like reveal...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 12:48:13 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on May 17, 2021, 12:42:22 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 08:10:55 AM

The technology that propels these crafts is so far advanced beyond anything we are capable of even understanding

How can we be sure of this without any physical evidence?  The declassified footage is certainly strange, but it's just grainy footage of a distant object flying around.  I'm not sure I see the leap to conclusion that this technology doesn't exist on our planet when we don't actually know what it is and nobody ever actually saw it up close.

You haven't watched any of the videos I presume. The evidence is of these objects traveling more than 80,000 feet in less then 1 second, or avigating without any sign of propulsion while shifting between air and water. That is pretty compelling evidence of systems based upon gravitational technology that violates our known laws of physics.

Actually I did, and as I said that's very strange but it could be something highly experimental and, as Solops pointed out, not necessarily manned by a living being.  Without physical remains proving this is alien technology, I don't see compelling evidence that it's not from our planet.  Nobody saw the thing exit our atmosphere into space, did they?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 10:56:08 AM
Who said they are benevolent? Not me. I simply said that if they are here and if they wanted something, they would most likely just take it, rather than engaging in any diplomacy or cooperation for it.

You are giving them human characteristics and expect them to behave as most humans and animals on this planet would.  Maybe they don't need to eat and only need energy to survive.  In that case they would easier harvest energy from a star than from our planet.

I don't think an alien race would reach the technology needed to come over here by behaving like we do right now.
If I were a gambler I would bet on us destroying the planet by nuclear wars before we achieve the means of traveling to another star system.

Unless there exists a way to manipulate space & time it takes you more than 4 years to travel at near speed of light to the nearest star.  It would take more than 25.000 years to travel to the nearest galaxy.  The Andromeda galaxy is around 2.500.000 light years away ...

Plus if you travel at the speed of light time slows down for the traveler while time continues to evolve for the people left behind.  So if you could manage to fly at the speed of light to the nearest star and get back you would be 8 years older and everybody you left behind would be dead. (travelling at a speed (relative to Earth) 99.99999999% the speed of light, or 299,999.997 km/sec, a second for the traveler (relative to Earth) turns in to 19.6 hours for a person left on earth).

al_infierno

To be clear, I'm not against the idea of extraterrestrial life in principle.  I'm just of the belief that it's astronomically unlikely that our civilization will ever meet another civilization, for reasons Pete explained quite succinctly.  That said, there was some really interesting discussion about the possibility of Oumumua being an interstellar alien device, and the possibility that we effectively announced our presence to the universe with high-power mine detectors that gave off really strong radio signals after WWII.  If there is a civilization out there with interest in ours, I do think it stands to reason that they are likely predatory and we would want to be ready to defend ourselves.  I just don't think this is a likely reality.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2021, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 10:56:08 AM
Who said they are benevolent? Not me. I simply said that if they are here and if they wanted something, they would most likely just take it, rather than engaging in any diplomacy or cooperation for it.

You are giving them human characteristics and expect them to behave as most humans and animals on this planet would.  Maybe they don't need to eat and only need energy to survive.  In that case they would easier harvest energy from a star than from our planet.

I don't think an alien race would reach the technology needed to come over here by behaving like we do right now.
If I were a gambler I would bet on us destroying the planet by nuclear wars before we achieve the means of traveling to another star system.

Unless there exists a way to manipulate space & time it takes you more than 4 years to travel at near speed of light to the nearest star.  It would take more than 25.000 years to travel to the nearest galaxy.  The Andromeda galaxy is around 2.500.000 light years away ...

Plus if you travel at the speed of light time slows down for the traveler while time continues to evolve for the people left behind.  So if you could manage to fly at the speed of light to the nearest star and get back you would be 8 years older and everybody you left behind would be dead. (travelling at a speed (relative to Earth) 99.99999999% the speed of light, or 299,999.997 km/sec, a second for the traveler (relative to Earth) turns in to 19.6 hours for a person left on earth).

I'm not giving them human characteristics. In fact, I'm stating quite the opposite. I've already stated that if they have the technology that is so far beyond our own, they most probably think on an entirely different plane. Solops is giving them human characteristics, which I have questioned.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:22:16 PM
I've already stated that if they have the technology that is so far beyond our own, they most probably think on an entirely different plane.

I'm hoping that if you are so far beyond where we are now, you are also beyond simply taking whatever you want just because you can.

solops

Hey! I just speculated that they might be hungry or want our turf for something (and some other stuff). That describes sharks and leopards too! Admittedly, they may be past the more basic Earthly organic drives, but advanced tech does not mandate that or benevolence. Their tech may be so advanced that they may not need us or our stuff. Probably not. They may just want our planet as a place to put a signal booster for Netflix. It may just be about location, location, location!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2021, 01:29:27 PM
I've already stated that if they have the technology that is so far beyond our own, they most probably think on an entirely different plane.

I'm hoping that if you are so far beyond where we are now, you are also beyond simply taking whatever you want just because you can.

What does this have to do with me?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Maybe we block their portal path to an alternative fantasy dimension full of hot alien babes and they are just checking out earth before they remove it. That's pretty higher plane stuff.

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2021, 01:33:04 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 17, 2021, 01:29:27 PM

What does this have to do with me?
JH, far beyond us...goes together, right? But you would never take our stuff.

W8taminute

I've always had a problem understanding the theory of relativity.  How could one second of travel time in a spaceship translate into 20 hours of elapsed time for someone on earth?

At 12pm a friend and I are standing in my backyard of my home.  My friend sits down on a chair and waits.  I get into my spaceship, turn on the engine and in 1 second I am 300000 km away because my ship flies at 300000 km/s.  Why did my friend who was sitting still say I was gone for 20 hours? 

Did it take me 20 hours to build up enough speed to travel for 1 second?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Thinking about the control of the magnetic field....we engineering students used to talk a lot about that back in the 70s. It seemed so, so close and easily done, but we just did not quite have the necessary stuff, but the tech path was clear. I used to understand those thing back when I was smart. Now I'm old, retired and dumb. Maybe the aliens are old and tired, too.

But control of magnetism is very real and do-able. Gravity? Well, that is the next step...and a big one.