Social media services outage

Started by al_infierno, October 04, 2021, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/live/2021/oct/04/facebook-down-instagram-whatsapp-not-working-latest-news-error-servers

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp have all been down for hours.  Apparently the problem has been identified, but the fix does not seem to be so quick and easy.  Facebook's stocks are plummeting.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 04, 2021, 05:27:38 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/live/2021/oct/04/facebook-down-instagram-whatsapp-not-working-latest-news-error-servers

Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp have all been down for hours.  Apparently the problem has been identified, but the fix does not seem to be so quick and easy.  Facebook's stocks are plummeting.

Facebook is back up. I know it was hard for people to live without it for a whole three to four hours.  :crazy2:

I think the world would be better off if it just stayed down.

As far as their stock is concerned, I'm sure Facebook and its shareholders will survive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Yeah, I agree.  Though apparently a lot of small businesses who are reliant on FB's services were hurt by the outage, but that seems like a dumb basket to put your eggs into.

More interestingly, this happened the day after the 60 Min interview with the FB whistleblower.  The two don't appear to be connected, though.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-whistleblower-frances-haugen-60-minutes-polarizing-divisive-content/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Yes. And I think she is supposed to testify before Congress tomorrow. Interesting timing, indeed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Don't have  a Facebook or Twitter account. Never have. Never will.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Dammit Carl!

The Book of Faces can go pound sand, but I'm a Twitter kinda guy.  Get to get my ranty-cursey bits out in concise snippets. 

GDS_Starfury

I wanna know JH's Grinder account name.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I once started a Social Media Site, 'Assbook'. It didn't go very far. Nothing but politicians signed-up.  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Imagine being locked out of your building because your Internet was down.   :idiot2:

Quoteapparently they withdrew their BGP route advertisements and they can't shell in because they can't route to the network and they can't get into the building because their doorknobs are synced to the corporate LDAP

https://twitter.com/vogon/status/1445106139532722179

- MengJiao

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 04, 2021, 10:48:40 PM
I once started a Social Media Site, 'Assbook'. It didn't go very far. Nothing but politicians signed-up.  :P

I guess your site wasn't all it was cracked up to be then?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: al_infierno on October 04, 2021, 11:14:44 PM
Imagine being locked out of your building because your Internet was down.   :idiot2:

Or locked in.  This is how more than one horror movie has started.

Things like this convince me more and more that being a semi-luddite ain't a half bad idea.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: W8taminute on October 05, 2021, 07:25:16 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on October 04, 2021, 10:48:40 PM

I guess your site wasn't all it was cracked up to be then?

:bd:

Sir Slash

I hate being the Butt of a joke.  ::)  The new tech stuff scares me worse than Freddy Kreuger at bedtime.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs