‘100-year floods’ may happen every three to 20 years

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, February 13, 2012, 04:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 13, 2012, 01:11:58 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 13, 2012, 08:23:18 AM
Mr Bigglesworth,
Were/are you a WG forumite as well? Some folks are using new names here so I'm losing track.

Ex KevlarSocks
8)

K-Socks!
That explained it! I knew there was something eerily familiar about you... ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Epee1

Should be a rule, no new names, I want to keep a list of all the commies on the board. (kidding , just kidding)

Windigo

Other reasons that 100 year floods may occur more often - without the sky falling.

1/.  We have longer periods of record which means more accurate probablistic - predictions. (this actually gives us better volume yield and streamflow discharge figures for a given event. So a more accurate calculation gives us a higher OMFG flood event number... remember this is based on historical events that are used to predict future flood magnitudes)
2/.  Changes in land-use that increase the runoff rates from rain events (so for a given size rainstorm we get less water soaking into the ground and more ending up in the stream; e.g., forests soak up more rain than crop fields which soak up more rain than a city parking lot)

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.