Missing Titanic tourist submersible

Started by al_infierno, June 19, 2023, 10:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Quote from: steve58 on June 20, 2023, 01:26:52 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on June 19, 2023, 10:46:59 PMHave you guys been following this story?  The more you look into it, the more insane it gets.  The thing was a total death trap apparently assembled from makeshift parts and controlled with a PlayStation controller.

Just to add to the insanity, they were bolted in from the outside with no way to get out without an external crew letting them out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872

Charging $250,000 a seat, so they could have afforded a more sophisticated controller.  :idiot2:

Sounds like whatever happened, may have happened early in their descent; losing comms less than 2 hours into an 8 hour descent.

:TimeOut:  Apparently I was wrong. :doh:  Descent to the Titanic only take 2 hours and comms were lost at 1hr 45min.

p.s. This article shows the first full-sized digital scans of the Titanic.  Easy to see how the sub could get caught up on/in something down there.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

QuoteStockton Rush, the CEO and founder of OceanGate Expeditions was confirmed to be aboard the company's missing tourist sub, the company confirmed on Tuesday (20 June).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/stockton-rush-oceangate-submarine-titanic-b2361176.html
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 21, 2023, 08:14:04 AMIf it's not them... :huh:

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

:cthulhu_smiley:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

of all the problems this sub could have the controller is the least of them.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Another thing they were apparently worried about is "ghost nets," or loose fishing nets floating around in the ocean.  I understand running into one of those would be a death sentence for this type of submersible.

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 21, 2023, 12:37:08 PMof all the problems this sub could have the controller is the least of them.

Apparently the controller they used costs $30 on Amazon and has reviews complaining about spotty reliability  :HideEyes:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Anybody else find it a tad ironic that the Titanic's down there because the Captain put performance above Safety, and now 111years later....
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

A debris field has been discovered near the Titanic.  I assume that this is a previously unknown debris field.  Apparently, there will be a press conference a 1500 (likely EST) today.  https://justthenews.com/nation/technology/debris-field-discovered-area-near-titanic-amid-search-missing-oceangate-sub-coast?utm_source=breaking&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Dammit Carl!

To be fair and for the sake of argument, if found intact and with signs of life inside, just how would they have been rescued?  I think (and I could be wrong here, may just be military hardware or I'm high on something) most subs made have standardized hatch fittings so rescue vehicles can attach and take on personnel - and even then, there were limits to effectiveness - but obviously this sub had none of those things.

Tripoli

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on June 22, 2023, 12:26:20 PMTo be fair and for the sake of argument, if found intact and with signs of life inside, just how would they have been rescued?  I think (and I could be wrong here, may just be military hardware or I'm high on something) most subs made have standardized hatch fittings so rescue vehicles can attach and take on personnel - and even then, there were limits to effectiveness - but obviously this sub had none of those things.
I don't think they could have been rescued, even if found.  The only way to do it would have been to lift the sub off the ocean floor and float it to the surface.

al_infierno

Quote from: Tripoli on June 22, 2023, 12:45:03 PM
Quote from: Dammit Carl! on June 22, 2023, 12:26:20 PMTo be fair and for the sake of argument, if found intact and with signs of life inside, just how would they have been rescued?  I think (and I could be wrong here, may just be military hardware or I'm high on something) most subs made have standardized hatch fittings so rescue vehicles can attach and take on personnel - and even then, there were limits to effectiveness - but obviously this sub had none of those things.
I don't think they could have been rescued, even if found.  The only way to do it would have been to lift the sub off the ocean floor and float it to the surface.

Interestingly, the sub had some kind of floatation failsafe that would carry it to the surface in the event of an emergency.  But even if that functioned perfectly, they painted the damn thing white so it would be just about impossible to spot by plane anyways.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Tripoli on June 22, 2023, 12:45:03 PMI don't think they could have been rescued, even if found.  The only way to do it would have been to lift the sub off the ocean floor and float it to the surface.

Yeah, that was going to be the problem. 

They were actually bolted into the sub, there was no way to marry a rescue vehicle to the the hull and offload the crew. 

I saw a couple of articles that said they were trying to get remote deep dive vehicles into the area that could theoretically attach a cable and possibly pull the sub up, but feasibly the process to even begin to realistically do that would take longer than the reserve oxygen.

As I said before, in that situation implosion was the more merciful way to go.  Looks like that's what happened.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tripoli

Wreckage belonging to the missing sub confirmed found 1600 feet from the Titanic shipwreck.   USCG is saying the sub sank due to an implosion.  All hands lost.  At least it would have been quick.  RIP.
https://justthenews.com/events/coast-guard-confirms-titanic-sub-marine-passenger-crew-dead