Missing Titanic tourist submersible

Started by al_infierno, June 19, 2023, 10:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Im pretty sure the SOSUS kit is a lot more advanced then WW1-1910s tech.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 27, 2023, 05:22:32 PMCouldn't it also be the case that since the implosion happened hours *before* anyone from the Titan's mothership called the authorities for help, the recordings of the event were already filed away and only later retrieved after the Navy had diligently sifted through the ungodly amount of sonar data they had collected in the hours before and after the alert went out?

Pretty sure it was already confirmed that they waited for the submersible to be overdue before calling for help, and they imploded on their initial descent, so you're definitely onto something here.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 27, 2023, 06:01:40 PMIm pretty sure the SOSUS kit is a lot more advanced then WW1-1910s tech.

The basic principles for making an announcement about a detection consistent with an implosion in the area, would not be more advanced than mid 1910s tech. They don't even have to say which platform(s) detected and triangulated it, although everyone who cares about North Atlantic warfare already knows SOSUS is there.

If there aren't computers already sifting through the ungodly amount of sonar data during the hours bracketing the implosion (allowing for time of sound to travel to various platforms), looking for various signature definitions of interest and flagging them for human investigation (or even further computer investigation), then (as a popular example) Tom Clancy was just making up science-fiction technology in the late 80s -- otherwise that tech already exists and everyone who cares either knows about it or can reasonably expect it to exist.

Which, again: computer sampling and flagging analysis doesn't even need to be mentioned in a public announcement about detection-consistent-with: specific platform capabilities and methodologies are NOT necessary; basic capabilities (not even counting methodologies) are already known, at the bare minimum, by every Navy who cares.

I cannot (yet) understand actual security concerns about announcing the implosion detection a lot sooner than they did. I could grant a default abundance of security caution about mentioning any such detection, but then that same default refusal to do so would count against them ever mentioning any such detection. What security principle would have changed between sooner and later?

Bureaucratic authority lag seems like a more logical explanation (along with other possibilities).

And maybe I've got a faulty notion of the timing: maybe the administration was announcing the consistent-with-fatal-implosion-high-probability within 24 hours, and I've just forgotten that, or never heard it that soon, which is entirely possible. I've been very distracted last week with Mom at the hospital, so I may very well have a non-problem on the timing! -- but I've seen some discussion of the late timing of the announcement elsewhere.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

hope your moms doing better, we have a date next week.

and your grounded.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Sir Slash

You couldn't handle Mother Pratt. She'd make you sit in the corner so long for your Potty Mouth that your nose would grow to a point.  :rollingpin:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

al_infierno

The wreckage was just recovered, and the Coast Guard put out a statement saying "presumed human remains" were found in the debris.   :Wow:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Friend of mine said it well.  One second they're alive, next they're pink mist.

JasonPratt

Just imagine the walls of texts I can inflict upon you now that I'm grounded!  :Nerd:  :Nerd:  :Nerd:

Meanwhile, a morbid side of my brain is trying to figure out if 'pink mist' could be an accurate description for the result of a depth-pressure implosion, and I keep having to remind myself it's an evocative metaphor. The important thing from their perspective is that they couldn't have suffered much (maybe not at all once it started) on the way out; their families can have a 'quantum' of solace from that, too. Under the circumstances, things could have been much, much worse.

...and now that morbid side of my brain has gone back to wondering whether some plan I heard of earlier on a TV report, about raising the sub to the surface in 45 minutes to rescue them (using a special ship crane), would have made any practical sense due to decompression problems. That would be a MUCH worse way to go, and especially hellish if inflicted by someone genuinely trying to rescue them from asphyxiation. Imagine having to make that call.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

To echo Bobarossa, "One minute you're in a can like Tuna Fish, the next you're Tuna Fish in a can". With my luck, I'd be the guy scheduled for the next trip down and suddenly they have an opening...
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Interesting legal analysis of the fallout from the disaster by the Legal Eagle.

Some thoughts on the limit of liability waivers that I was not aware of...

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.