Defending the Republic: Community AAR

Started by PanzersEast, October 03, 2012, 04:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

DEFENDING THE REPUBLIC
COMMUNITY AAR

Introduction ::

Defending the Republic is an community lead AAR using AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est.  Starting out we the Community will assume command of the Pompeian forces where each of you will serve as military advisors throughout the campaign shaping its outcome.  I will present the current situation with several options, however you will decide how to act and ultimately our fate.   I would also like certain members to fill the roles of commanders in which we give the strategic orders to those individuals, however they in turn themselves carry out the tactical orders of achieving their goals. 

I have never done this before, however I thought it would be fun as a group to progress through the campaign and one that is tough to win.  The main focus here is to have fun and hopefully Save the Republic!

<!> Note: You do not have to own the game to participate

Preface ::

Scenario ::
This scenario covers 50-44 BC and has a maximum of 121 turns. The map is quite large, therefore I may have to take some liberties to expedite gameplay, however initially I will not.

Political Situation ::
Caesar's Civil War resulted from the long political subversion of the Roman Government's institutions, begun with the career of Tiberius Gracchus, continuing with the Marian reforms of the legions, the bloody dictatorship of Lucius Cornelius Sulla, and completed by the First Triumvirate over Rome.

The First Triumvirate (so denominated by Cicero), comprising Julius Caesar, Crassus, and Pompey, ascended to power with Caesar's election as consul, in 59 BC. The First Triumvirate was unofficial, a political alliance the substance of which was Pompey's military might, Caesar's political influence, and Crassus' money. The alliance was further consolidated by Pompey's marriage to Julia, daughter of Caesar, in 59 BC. At the conclusion of Caesar's first consulship, the Senate (rather than granting him a provincial governorship) tasked him with watching over the Roman forests. This job, specially-created by his Senate enemies, was meant to occupy him without giving him command of armies, or garnering him wealth and fame.

Caesar, with the help of Pompey and Crassus, evaded the Senate's decrees by legislation passed through the popular assemblies. By these acts, Caesar was promoted to Roman Governor of Illyricum and Cisalpine Gaul. Transalpine Gaul (southern France) was added later. The various governorships gave Caesar command of an army of (initially) four legions. The term of his proconsulship, and thus his immunity from prosecution, was set at five years, rather than the customary one year. His term was later extended by another five years. During this ten-year period, Caesar used his military forces to conquer Gaul and invade Britain, without explicit authorisation by the Senate.

In 52 BC, at the First Triumvirate's end, the Roman Senate supported Pompey as sole consul; meanwhile, Caesar had become a military hero and champion of the people. Knowing he hoped to become consul when his governorship expired, the Senate, politically fearful of him, ordered he resign command of his army. In December of 50 BC, Caesar wrote to the Senate agreeing to resign his military command if Pompey followed suit. Offended, the Senate demanded he immediately disband his army, or be declared an enemy of the people: an illegal political bill, for he was entitled to keep his army until his term expired.

A secondary reason for Caesar's immediate want for another consulship was delaying the inevitable senatorial prosecutions awaiting him upon retirement as governor of Illyricum and Gaul. These potential prosecutions were based upon alleged irregularities occurred in his consulship and war crimes committed in his Gallic campaigns. Moreover, Caesar loyalists, the tribunes Mark Antony and Quintus Cassius Longinus, vetoed the bill, and were quickly expelled from the Senate. They then joined Caesar, who had assembled his army, whom he asked for military support against the Senate; agreeing, his army called for action.

In 50 BC, at his Proconsular term's expiry, the Pompey-led Senate ordered Caesar's return to Rome and the disbanding of his army, and forbade his standing for election in absentia for a second consulship; because of that, Caesar thought he would be prosecuted and rendered politically marginal if he entered Rome without consular immunity or his army; to wit, Pompey accused him of insubordination and treason.

Situation ::

Commanders ::

Below are the commanders available for members to assume the role of.  I will post minor commanders later.  If you are included in a stack with a superior officer, you will assume a subordinate role, however you can still give overall strategic input.

Gnaeus Pompeius  (Community)
5-3-1

Marcus Porcius Cato (Open)
4-2-1

Quintus Caecilius Marcellus (Open)
3-3-3

Lucius Afranius  (Open)
3-2-2

Publius Attius Varus  (Open)
4-1-1

Lucius Cornelius Crus  (Open)
4-2-1

Please post below if you are interested in assuming one of the roles, and I will post some other commanders (minor and foreign leaders)  for those who want to do it just for fun and to see what happens.  I will have detailed information after each turn and for the time being I am figuring out the logistics before we begin.  I will have map links posted for each geographical section, and our various options presented to us (Game Decisions etc...).

I hope there is enough interest to continue this all the way until the end.  I know that this is a very large scenario and a lot of work, however with the onset of fall, I thought it would be fun to see this one through as a group where we are at a disadvantage and to see if we can collectively win.  I may have missed something with the long winded post, but plan to have more information later.

Audentes fortuna iuvat!

PE

Jarhead0331

Excellent idea!  Hope this is the first of many...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

TheCommandTent

Cool idea.  I may be interested in one of the commands.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."