The Wile E. Coyote school of grenade chucking

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, February 16, 2012, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

So, I took my first holiday in 3 years and came to Thailand for some sun and scuba. 
Had the flight from hell from Vancouver to Toyko (screaming infant kicking my chair the whole way and an incontinent bridge troll farting next to me in the window seat for the entire eleven hours.  Looked like Jabba the Hutt in sweatpants who'd just been the victim of a drive-by dirty sanchez.)

Get to Narita for a 4 hour layover and a nice rumbler of a quake hits.  Not enough to damage anything but enough to get most of the waiting passengers pretty excited.  Kinda funny to watch how the different nationalities reacted.  The French couple next to me looked like they were going to wet themselves while the Russian grunted, paused for about three seconds and then got stuck back into his bottle of Asahi.

Get to Bangkok and I know something's up because the lineup for immigration is a mile long and it's after midnight.  Five durka-durkas straight out of Waiziristan are about four places ahead of me and they all get pulled out of line and taken off to a side room.  By now I'm wondering if this is just the normal routine now as there'd been a warning put out about a month ago.  It's not until I get to my hotel and turn on the BBC to learn that there'd been a few bombings around town earlier in the day.

I flipped over to the Thai news channel as it tends to be a lot more, shall we say, raw than the stuff out of the West.  Sure enough I'm immediately shown footage of some bugger with his legs blown off, flopping about on the street.  Turns out this Darwin-award nominee blew his own legs off with a grenade he threw at a passing cab that had refused to stop.  (this was after the genius had already whipped a bomb up the street.)  The grenade (most likely stencilled ACME) bounced off the cab and right back into our hero's lap.

Now, things here are pretty surreal.  The various embassies are all putting out advisories, the Iranians and Israelis and thumbing their noses at one another, and the Thai officials are busy telling everyone that there's nothing to see here, move along.  This is not terrorism, damn it!! It's just a couple of disgruntled Iranian expats setting an argument amongst themselves.....with hand grenades and C4.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Karma is a b!tch...

Quote"Thitima said police had tried to move in and arrest the man after blast by the taxi. According to the Bangkok Post, he threw another grenade at the police that hit a tree and bounced back toward him and exploded, which caused him to lose both his legs."

**Warning**
Graphic!

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3Dmnuv81ngoAI%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 17, 2012, 06:56:46 AM
Karma is a b!tch...

Quote"Thitima said police had tried to move in and arrest the man after blast by the taxi. According to the Bangkok Post, he threw another grenade at the police that hit a tree and bounced back toward him and exploded, which caused him to lose both his legs."

**Warning**
Graphic!

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3Dmnuv81ngoAI%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
Heh.  If that's not a case of being hoisted by one's own petard, then I don't know what is! 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Centurion40

Is it wrong that I laughed out loud when the camera panned-up to show the dude's jeans hanging from a tree?
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

^Nope. SDR I am assuming you're back home and snuggled under s fuzzy blanket.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Whoever made those jeans should use that video to advertise their product.  The dude's legs are gone, but the jeans look to be intact.  Does Timex make jeans???  ::)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2012, 10:58:03 AM

Nope, got two more weeks here.  Been pissing down rain since yesterday so I'm hogging the PC in the lobby.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 17, 2012, 11:00:23 AM
Whoever made those jeans should use that video to advertise their product.  The dude's legs are gone, but the jeans look to be intact.  Does Timex make jeans???  ::)

Excellent!

Great post SDR, stay safe. Good luck on your scuba.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Silent Disapproval Robot

Another earth-shattering Ka-BOOM today. 

This time at a resort hotel in Phuket.  Looks like the hotel staff hired untrained kids to maintain the chlorine levels in the hotel swimming pool.  Still not sure exactly what happened (and water treatment is my field of expertise) but it looks like they were using calcium hypochlorite as their chlorine source and something either exploded (highly unlikely) or they somehow mixed it with something they shouldn't have and created a massive chlorine gas cloud.  I'd guess ammonia.  Anyway, looks like a bunch of tourists are in the hospital with severe burns to the eyes and breathing passages.

Centurion40

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 17, 2012, 07:51:26 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2012, 10:58:03 AM

Nope, got two more weeks here.  Been pissing down rain since yesterday so I'm hogging the PC in the lobby.

You should write some copy for the Thai tourism while you're there.  You've REALLY made me interested in going there!  ::) :o

LongBlade

Just logged on after taking a long weekend offline.

Stay safe, SDR.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Welcome back LB

I won't ask how things are going, as I suspect that would be a rather foolish question atm...