Target Knows Who's Been Naughty or Nice

Started by mirth, February 17, 2012, 04:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I think we all know (and more-or-less accept) that we're being monitored and analyzed constantly by some combination of businesses and government agencies, but I still found this interesting.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/818/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

TheCommandTent

A bit disconcerting.  Thats why I like to always use cash and never give out phone or email.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

Not surprising. Amazon.com probably does this like some sort of crazy Illuminati. But remember, to use this for anything more that purchase metrics would require awesome manpower. Still, you don't really want Target to know all your personal details... even if you can't stop it.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

Well s***.  I suppose that means Target knows I'm not getting laid then. 

(Oh well.  It's not like it's a huge surprise or anything.) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Smuckatelli

mirth

Quote from: Martok on February 18, 2012, 05:49:03 AM

I always stock up on condoms while I'm there, just to throw them a curve. Course I now have stacks of unused condoms.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 18, 2012, 06:35:39 PM
Quote from: Martok on February 18, 2012, 05:49:03 AM

I always stock up on condoms while I'm there, just to throw them a curve. Course I now have stacks of unused condoms.

Buying Gerbil food and Preparation H at the same time should result in some rather interesting coupons...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys